BBO Discussion Forums: GIBBO should pay back when bidding does not match blurb - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIBBO should pay back when bidding does not match blurb GIBidding

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-09, 05:11

Seriously!! 17-18 HCP when has 14 HCP. How difficult is it for software to have an "if bid does not match blurbs stfu!!" Sorry for the language. Just abysmal and NO recourse provided by BBO.

vrock

#2 User is online   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-November-09, 06:35

What you said is true. But you still should make this 25% slam.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-09, 09:13

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-November-09, 06:35, said:

What you said is true. But you still should make this 25% slam.

well, I did go with the odds the short club hand had longer diamonds except the Q was doubleton. I had the double finesse in hearts as standby. Is there some other 100% play?

vrock

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-09, 12:19

Nothing is 100% just looking at dummy.

If you win the 1st club with the ace, you can make on a double squeeze with a double finesse in hearts, even after misguessing diamonds. Winning the club in hand, and then playing diamonds like you did causes an entry problem so you can't make a heart play, lead to a spade honor, run diamonds, cross in hearts, and squeeze south with a 3rd heart winner.

#5 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2017-November-09, 14:14

View Postjohnu, on 2017-November-09, 12:19, said:

Nothing is 100% just looking at dummy.

If you win the 1st club with the ace, you can make on a double squeeze with a double finesse in hearts, even after misguessing diamonds. Winning the club in hand, and then playing diamonds like you did causes an entry problem so you can't make a heart play, lead to a spade honor, run diamonds, cross in hearts, and squeeze south with a 3rd heart winner.

Why do you need a squeeze if you make 3 heart tricks? Won't you have 2 spades, 3 hearts, 5 diamonds, 2 clubs? For certain you can do it with no squeeze and current lie of cards. Just win ace of clubs and lead a heart to 9, or you could take 2 heart finesses first and hold off playing diamonds.

You could also make it with split heart honors and no squeeze but would need to hold off on diamonds if north were to cover the first attempt to run the heart through. Without 5 diamond tricks there is no hope anyway. With 4-2 or worse in hearts with both QJ offside you'd need a squeeze.

#6 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-09, 20:20

View Postzhasbeen, on 2017-November-09, 14:14, said:

Why do you need a squeeze if you make 3 heart tricks? Won't you have 2 spades, 3 hearts, 5 diamonds, 2 clubs? For certain you can do it with no squeeze and current lie of cards. Just win ace of clubs and lead a heart to 9, or you could take 2 heart finesses first and hold off playing diamonds.

You could also make it with split heart honors and no squeeze but would need to hold off on diamonds if north were to cover the first attempt to run the heart through. Without 5 diamond tricks there is no hope anyway. With 4-2 or worse in hearts with both QJ offside you'd need a squeeze.

Confusing all these play suggestions. I need to take the first in hand to take d finesse since long clubs on my right thus short diamonds. Law of vacant places. After that i did the best I could except GIBby had 5 H.

Given this am not seeing fancy squeeze or fancy double squeezes.

vrock

#7 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2017-November-09, 23:11

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-November-09, 20:20, said:

Confusing all these play suggestions. I need to take the first in hand to take d finesse since long clubs on my right thus short diamonds. Law of vacant places. After that i did the best I could except GIBby had 5 H.

Given this am not seeing fancy squeeze or fancy double squeezes.

vrock

You can do better without seeing any squeezes. You know how to take 5 diamonds, 2 clubs, and 2 spades. Now all you need to do is figure out a way to add one more heart trick to the ace-king you already have. It's there. Just keeping studying the diagram until you find a way that works.

#8 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-10, 06:05

View Postzhasbeen, on 2017-November-09, 23:11, said:

You can do better without seeing any squeezes. You know how to take 5 diamonds, 2 clubs, and 2 spades. Now all you need to do is figure out a way to add one more heart trick to the ace-king you already have. It's there. Just keeping studying the diagram until you find a way that works.

Are you saying all this based on double-dummy? Its a piece of cake double-dummy.

vrock

#9 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-10, 13:31

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-November-10, 06:05, said:

Are you saying all this based on double-dummy? Its a piece of cake double-dummy.

vrock

First of all, we need to assume that you are bringing in the diamond suit. If that didn't work, the squeeze would be *only remaining option. That would be another discussion.

So, now were are looking for an extra heart trick to go with your assumed 5 diamonds, 2 spades, and 2 clubs.

Win the club with king and run the 9 of hearts. If it holds, it's game over. You've made your slam. If north covers with Q or J, cross back to dummy's king of spades and lead small to the 10. That's it. If the 10 holds or south wins you have your 3 heart tricks(the 10 and 8 are equals since you've already played the nine.) No squeeze and no worry about entries as long we assume diamonds are coming in.

#10 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-10, 15:58

View Postzhasbeen, on 2017-November-09, 14:14, said:

I am assuming you misguess diamonds like you actually did, so you only have 4 diamond tricks. With the double finesse in hearts, you have 2 spades, 3 hearts, 4 diamonds, 2 clubs. That's only 11 top tricks so you need a squeeze for 12 tricks.

#11 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-10, 17:04

View Postjohnu, on 2017-November-10, 15:58, said:

I am assuming you misguess diamonds like you actually did, so you only have 4 diamond tricks. With the double finesse in hearts, you have 2 spades, 3 hearts, 4 diamonds, 2 clubs. That's only 11 top tricks so you need a squeeze for 12 tricks.

Are you talking to me?

Travis Bickle...I mean Jim, aka "zhasbeen"

#12 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-10, 18:12

View Postzhasbeen, on 2017-November-10, 17:04, said:

Are you talking to me?

Travis Bickle...I mean Jim, aka "zhasbeen"

Yes, assume you are playing the hand and have misguessed diamonds so there are only 4 diamond tricks.

#13 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-10, 18:28

View Postvirgosrock, on 2017-November-09, 09:13, said:

I had the double finesse in hearts as standby. Is there some other 100% play?

Another technical point. You should take a first round diamond finesse if you are playing North for the queen since you can't handle a 4-1 unless the queen is singleton, and if a 5-0 break, can take 4 diamond tricks without losing a trick so you can afford to lose a heart if you need to win 4 heart tricks.

#14 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-10, 19:30

This from about 5 posts up:

"First of all, we need to assume that you are bringing in the diamond suit. If that didn't work, the squeeze would be *only remaining option. That would be another discussion."

zhasbeen, good friend of Travis Bickle

#15 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-11, 05:26

View Postjohnu, on 2017-November-10, 18:28, said:

Another technical point. You should take a first round diamond finesse if you are playing North for the queen since you can't handle a 4-1 unless the queen is singleton, and if a 5-0 break, can take 4 diamond tricks without losing a trick so you can afford to lose a heart if you need to win 4 heart tricks.

Have been mulling about that too.

vrock

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users