BBO Discussion Forums: Strong club auction with competition - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strong club auction with competition

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-November-01, 04:45

Matchpoints. EW are playing strong club, X showed majors, 2D showed less than a GF with at least five diamonds. What call do you make?

ahydra

#2 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-01, 05:12

4seems OK to me - not enough to insist in game, but a pretty nice hand in support of partner's suit, which I might have considered supporting on the previous round....

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-01, 06:05

It is a pretty nice hand, but I'm not sure where we are going. I would have expected partner to bid 3NT with a stop and to support hearts if possible. 5 seems to need a lot from partner - who has shown 4-7 points - since we are missing three aces and the king of trumps. Even 4 may be too high.

At pairs and this vulnerability, we may be wiser defending. I'm tempted by DOUBLE.

#4 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-November-01, 06:48

View PostWellSpyder, on 2017-November-01, 05:12, said:

4seems OK to me - not enough to insist in game, but a pretty nice hand in support of partner's suit, which I might have considered supporting on the previous round....

Whatever West is doing bidding 3 when North has indicated the majors is beyond me. It's a minimum strong club opener with poor intermediates and a 3 raise is all its worth. Bidding 3 has probably indicated to North that his crummy suit is not a liability and can potentially be ruffed by partner.

I don't like either 4 or Dbl now but 4 seems the lesser evil.

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-02, 15:07

Thanks all. This was actually a ruling question. The auction at the table continued 4D-p-4H-all p, down one. Opps were EW, and partner had misexplained my X as "takeout" - both opps asked, before 2D and before 3H. So after the hand I called the TD to see if the opponents wanted redress due to the misinformation, and TD ruled that instead of bidding 4H, responder would instead pass 4D. This led me to wonder whether West would actually compete to 4D in the first place, but given the "poll" in this thread it seems he would (and if he raises to 3D instead of bidding 3H, East may well compete to 4D on Ax xx J10xxxx Jxx).

ahydra

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users