• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who do you bid this hand? Huge opening with worst partner cards

#21 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-October-31, 13:47

I can't understand why so many on these forums appear to be so focused on stopping short of game on marginal hands. In the long run, it's far better bridge to bid your thin games. Sometimes they make. Sometimes normal defense won't beat them. Sometimes the opponents don't find the best defense, especially the best opening lead (yes, even world champions often don't find the best line of D). Much better than being too conservative.

This game will make if hearts are 33 or if they are 42 and West doesn't find a spade lead. On the actual lie of the cards, of course, you will go down at 4H, but you will also go down at 3H (3H being better at MPs of course, but not substantially better at IMPs).

Cheers,
Mike

#22 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-November-01, 08:08

View Postcroquetfan, on 2017-October-29, 23:50, said:

2D waiting is a very clumsy system that makes it hard to stop in this sort of position.
if you can bid number of points or number of controls over 2C it is easy to stop in 2H.

i never saw any good players playing control responses. my own opinion is they're beyond terrible.

#23 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-01, 16:48

View Postwank, on 2017-November-01, 08:08, said:

i never saw any good players playing control responses. my own opinion is they're beyond terrible.

Kit Woolsey plays control responses.

I personally don't like them.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#24 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-November-01, 19:55

View Postkontoleon, on 2017-October-29, 17:21, said:

No matter who is the dealer All rest player have no opening possible hand.(ok If someboby disagree with this lets tell that deler is N)
North have 24HCP with 5 H and 5 D, but south have only 2 H 0HCP
We have no good mans! S is out of question,NT we hane Only 1s H is possible with 7 card fit and D we have 8 card fit but is minor
According the BBO Advance1.3 N sould opening 2 pass 2(totally negative hand) pass and now what? Even if partener have classic system with answer 2, is still possible to End this Bid below 3NT?
Sorry from this message if is long or spam. This hand is totally random draw on friendly house game

We might reach 4 with these hands. And expect to make it against friendly distribution/defence. Perhaps.
2 - 2 -
2 - 2 -
3 - 3 -
If your methods keep you low on this layout, then you are likely to miss good games

#25 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-05, 18:53

The whole room bids game on goes down with these cards. Mostly in 4, at imps someone will get to 5, at matchoints some intrepid soul will find his way to 3NT and get butchered. So if you can stop on a dime you have a good board--and if you stop on a dime on a very slightly different hand your result will be quite atrocious. The game may well be laydown, or may make even when it shouldn't (especially if the auction is unrevealing). It just isn't profitable to design a bidding system around staying out of game on a hand this good, H ands where stopping works are less frequent than auctions that will get messed up by opener's fear of getting dropped below game.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users