Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Player chats at the table but happens to be on my blacklist

#1 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-October-21, 14:29

Today I was playing a tourney. In one round one of the opps was on my blacklist. This caused even the table chat of that player not to be displayed in my chat space. IMO this is not the way it should work. Rather, while playing at the same table, I suggest that all chat should be visible, disregarding the blacklist status. If I cannot see valid bridge-related questions of some player at my table, not reacting would seem rude to the others. And even more important, when the TD is at the table, not seeing chat of some other player might create considerable confusion.

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-October-21, 19:28

There's a reason why someone is on your blacklist, and whilst it might seem to you rude ignoring them, their previous actions have warranted your decision.

Personally, I do not want to see either private or table chatter of someone on my blacklist. I might have blacklisted them for the way they have 'spoken' at the table, criticising their partner vehemently, not necessarily for how they have spoken to me directly.

They are three reasons why someone ends up on my blacklist:-

1) For foul language, and/or being overtly critical of partner or opponents.
2) For using words and symbols like 'faster' and '?????????' over and over again in a derogatory manner.
3) For overstating their own personal level of experience, and proving their lack of experience at the table (But I do give a degree of leeway as many players probably are unaware of what level they actually are. The ones that do automatically make my blacklist are the 'experts' who over a course of a dozen boards or so prove their lack of 'expert' or 'advanced' ability.)

So all I can suggest is that when you need to see a blacklisted player's comments when a TD is at the table, or in the tourney, is maybe change a profiles back to neutral when needed, but change it back again soon after.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-October-22, 05:23

If someone is on your blacklist you shouldn't be paired against them.
I thought this was a tournament option.
If it is should be mandatory not an option. If not then it should be programmed in,
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-22, 14:03

For what it's worth, the option isn't called 'blacklist', it's called 'ignore'; and when read like that, it's more obvious why chat is 'ignored'. But it probably makes sense that chat shouldn't be blocked in *tournaments* - as the TD can always ban them if they are being abusive.

Not being paired against someone you've ignored doesn't make sense; people could then game the system by ignoring good players.

Incidentally, there's a little known feature where if you right click someone's username, you can set a category and have them show up in a different color without ignoring them. Useful when you want to mark players as those you don't want to play with, without ignoring them entirely.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-October-23, 08:43

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-October-22, 05:23, said:

If someone is on your blacklist you shouldn't be paired against them.
I thought this was a tournament option.
If it is should be mandatory not an option. If not then it should be programmed in,

If you use "Help me Find a Game" it won't put you at a table with someone on your blacklist. But there's nothing similar done for tournament pairings.

You may be confusing this with the option the tournament host has to block entries from their blacklist.

#6 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-October-24, 02:33

I appreciate that "Help me find a game" works the way you describe, and IMO implementing something like that for tourneys is not worth the effort and might result in situations where no valid pairing is possible.

Manually switching an opp's status from "ignore" to "neutral" while he is at my table and back to "ignore" when the round is finished, like The_Badger suggested, is not an option, because the switching back is likely to be forgotten, and the initial switching requires that I am aware that an "ignored" opp is present, but I see this only if I click on his name to get his profile displayed.

Karl

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-October-24, 08:43

View Postmink, on 2017-October-24, 02:33, said:

Manually switching an opp's status from "ignore" to "neutral" while he is at my table and back to "ignore" when the round is finished, like The_Badger suggested, is not an option, because the switching back is likely to be forgotten, and the initial switching requires that I am aware that an "ignored" opp is present, but I see this only if I click on his name to get his profile displayed.

I'm not sure, but I think his name will have a black background in the table display.

#8 User is offline   benrye 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-November-14, 07:45

I wish to add an other comment : the size of characters is too little....Specially in the chat box, but also the list of tournament is difficult to read...why is not possible to come to the previous version? There is nothing that I like in this new one...sorry

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users