BBO Discussion Forums: Opponents intervene with a take-out double - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opponents intervene with a take-out double

Poll: Opponents intervene with a take-out double (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Your bid?

1. Pass (13 votes [36.11%])

Percentage of vote: 36.11%

2. 1[spades] (20 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

3. 1NT (1 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

4. Other??? (2 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-17, 02:53

I'm interested in understanding the bidding approach after opponents make a take-out double. Do you vary responses? Does a change of suit require a fifth card / additional strength? Do you pass marginal hands?

This hand started the discussion. But I am interested in your views more generally.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-July-17, 03:22

In my opinion, this is an awkward hand to contemplate all vulnerable, and with partner bidding 3rd in hand. I'm inclined to pass and see where the auction is heading. If partner is strong he'll bid again I'll hope; if weak I don't fancy a contract by our side with the doubler over my partner's opening bid.

My responses after the double are Pass < 6HCPs; Redbl 10+HCPs; 1NT 6-9 HCPs ; 1(forcing) but I want to have that 5th card; and 2 level bids as non forcing.

While I could bid 1NT on this hand, especially with its 2 controls, I'm not too keen with two suits open, and I am just as happy to defend on this hand.

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-17, 08:09

We cater to the opener having a weak notrump kind of value and are aware that the opponents cards are behind them so your example hand has a lot of potential losing finesses.

New suits are 5+ cards long and forcing at the 1 level. Is your partner really not supposed to support with 3 when they bid over your 1 call here? Non forcing at the 2 level but of course nothing is forcing by a passed hand.

1nt is constructive 8-10 (or a pretty bad 11 like a 4 triple 3) probably not the most popular agreement but works for us as follows.
- partner can often compete with a bit of shape if the opponents bid over this even with modest values
- if they bid, passed back to you, you can double to show top of the range if you like. When partner can't stand it, especially with the kind of worm they may open in 3rd seat the opponents can almost never double their run out and usually take the push to 1 level higher.
-game tries by partner don't have to worry about a blech 6 count while missing out on a decent 9

Redouble is 10+ but the low end has to consider that a 1nt bid may serve opener better

On your example hand and many similar it will occasionally go 1 on our left, passed back to us for a 1nt bid now or if partner has a good opener you will hear about it and be better placed to bid accordingly.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 04:49

I ask why do you want to be involved, so passing is clear to me. I think there is a lot of value playing transfer responses after a t/o dble of a major.

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 05:33

Thanks to those who have commented, including Mr Ace, who responded on the duplicate thread. [As an aside, it is very easy to accidentally create duplicates on this site].

I agree with Mr Ace: "No double does not change the responses at 1 level. It shows 4+ suit and 6+ hcp. But you may decide to pass marginal hands [...] The hand in your OP is a very legit hand and I do not see any reason to pass. you may very well be belong to 4 ♠ and that double does not guarantee 4 card spades."

Unfortunately we found out, in the post-match discussion in the restaurant, that we have been on a different wave-length for years. Partner agrees with The Badger, ggwhiz and mcphee. We will now be getting our methods aligned. Fortunately, this board did not prove a disaster - I made +80 in 1 (a trump lead would have defeated me by one trick).

our eventual agreement may include transfer responses (we already play transfer responses to over-calls). If anyone has an links to good reference material to transfer responses after an intervening t/o double it would be welcome.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 06:49

View PostTramticket, on 2017-July-18, 05:33, said:

If anyone has an links to good reference material to transfer responses after an intervening t/o double it would be welcome.

Here is a link to Ben's complete system for transfers in competition, called Equality. You can use this method versus a takeout double and expand it to other situations later on using the same logic if you decide that that would be beneficial.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 07:34

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-July-18, 06:49, said:

Here is a link to Ben's complete system for transfers in competition, called Equality. You can use this method versus a takeout double and expand it to other situations later on using the same logic if you decide that that would be beneficial.

Thank you

#8 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-July-18, 12:00

This is highly dependent on your system over 1M (x). Assuming you don't play any gadgets, 1S seems normal. 4+ spades and a hand worth bidding (more than some 5-6 HCP piece of junk). There is no guarantee that RHO has 4+ spades; he might have only 3.

A few observations:

First, I think you said you made 1S for +80. That shouldn't be. 1S is absolutely forcing. Otherwise, how do you show a decent hand with spades? Please don't tell me you have to XX first (that's straight out the 1950s).

Second, someone asked "Why wouldn't your partner raise you with three if LHO bid over 1s?" That's why Rodwell invented support Xs. After a support X, you bid 2H to show 42 in the majors.

Third, I would suggest implementing some methods after 1M (x). Transfer responses are very useful, principally because they allow you to make subminimum raises (they give you a way to distinguish a normal 3-card raise from a subminimum 3-card raise).

A lot of folks play that after 1H (x), XX shows spades, 1S is the 1NT response, 1NT shows clubs, etc., with 2d being the normal 3-card H raise. After 1S (x), xx is the 1NT hand, etc. If you want to X the opponents, you pass the X and then X later on.

Cheers,
mike

#9 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 13:16

View Postmiamijd, on 2017-July-18, 12:00, said:

This is highly dependent on your system over 1M (x). Assuming you don't play any gadgets, 1S seems normal. 4+ spades and a hand worth bidding (more than some 5-6 HCP piece of junk). There is no guarantee that RHO has 4+ spades; he might have only 3.

A few observations:

First, I think you said you made 1S for +80. That shouldn't be. 1S is absolutely forcing. Otherwise, how do you show a decent hand with spades? Please don't tell me you have to XX first (that's straight out the 1950s).

Second, someone asked "Why wouldn't your partner raise you with three if LHO bid over 1s?" That's why Rodwell invented support Xs. After a support X, you bid 2H to show 42 in the majors.

Third, I would suggest implementing some methods after 1M (x). Transfer responses are very useful, principally because they allow you to make subminimum raises (they give you a way to distinguish a normal 3-card raise from a subminimum 3-card raise).

A lot of folks play that after 1H (x), XX shows spades, 1S is the 1NT response, 1NT shows clubs, etc., with 2d being the normal 3-card H raise. After 1S (x), xx is the 1NT hand, etc. If you want to X the opponents, you pass the X and then X later on.

Cheers,
mike

Thanks mike.

I think that you missed that I was a passed hand - so I think that you will agree that partner is entitled to pass? (we held a combined 18-count).

We also don't play support doubles / redoubles - mainly because we play a weak NT and we use a double to show our strong and balanced type.

But I will definitely discuss a transfer structure with partner.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 14:51

A few observations:

Cheers,
mike

THIS! + 1000

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 16:11

"Why wouldn't your partner raise you with three if LHO bid over 1s?" That's why Rodwell invented support Xs.

Meckwell invented support doubles because they were getting to too many 3-3 fits. :blink:

Random response in their system included 1 over a 1 opener or overcall on a 3-1-4-5 as deemed appropriate, not afraid of playing a moyse and allergic to inappropriate 1nt bids. The new iteration of support doubles has little (if anything) to do with them.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-18, 22:33

View PostTramticket, on 2017-July-18, 13:16, said:

Thanks mike.

I think that you missed that I was a passed hand - so I think that you will agree that partner is entitled to pass? (we held a combined 18-count).

We also don't play support doubles / redoubles - mainly because we play a weak NT and we use a double to show our strong and balanced type.

But I will definitely discuss a transfer structure with partner.

Ah; my mistake. I did forget you were a passed hand :)

Cheers,
mike

#13 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-19, 02:02

Basically, to sum up Tramticket. Some will ignore the double and bid naturally even after a 3rd in hand opening bid at equal vulnerability - their choice - and some of us will exercise some caution, and maybe demand a fifth to bid here, especially with a naff suit. There is no right way or wrong way of bidding this: it's all down to agreements. (Including the transfer responses detailed by miamijd.)

In your original post you didn't say whether you are playing 4M or 5M, so I think we have to assume 5M given this is the most popular opening these days. (Even in England nowadays, methinks.)

Bidding 1 does have its advantages: it can stop the opponents finding their fit; partner will know that you have a bid (6+HCPs); it's easy to find a 5-2 2 level fit if partner bids on - and even if s split badly, you hopefully have two entries in that will help your partner to pick up the suit.

What no commentator has said up to now is that South as the doubler is in the most dangerous position. He is vulnerable with a passed partner, so even though he might not have 4s (as highlighted by MrAce), he's going to have some strength to compensate surely.

There's even a slight (let's be honest remote) chance that North will leave the double in and your partner is left to play in 1X, so actually bidding and potentially increasing the level of the contract may not to your advantage.

So, in conclusion, I'd personally rather put the pressure on the doubler's partner (and the doubler) by passing initially.

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-July-19, 08:34

Pass.Partner has opened in the 3rd seat.

#15 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-19, 10:54

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-July-19, 02:02, said:

Basically, to sum up Tramticket. Some will ignore the double and bid naturally even after a 3rd in hand opening bid at equal vulnerability - their choice - and some of us will exercise some caution, and maybe demand a fifth to bid here, especially with a naff suit. There is no right way or wrong way of bidding this: it's all down to agreements. (Including the transfer responses detailed by miamijd.)

In your original post you didn't say whether you are playing 4M or 5M, so I think we have to assume 5M given this is the most popular opening these days. (Even in England nowadays, methinks.)

Bidding 1 does have its advantages: it can stop the opponents finding their fit; partner will know that you have a bid (6+HCPs); it's easy to find a 5-2 2 level fit if partner bids on - and even if s split badly, you hopefully have two entries in that will help your partner to pick up the suit.

What no commentator has said up to now is that South as the doubler is in the most dangerous position. He is vulnerable with a passed partner, so even though he might not have 4s (as highlighted by MrAce), he's going to have some strength to compensate surely.

There's even a slight (let's be honest remote) chance that North will leave the double in and your partner is left to play in 1X, so actually bidding and potentially increasing the level of the contract may not to your advantage.

So, in conclusion, I'd personally rather put the pressure on the doubler's partner (and the doubler) by passing initially.

If one of your small H were a small diamond, there would be a better case for passing (you don't have a "safety value" of 2H available). Likewise if your clubs were KQxx and your spades were Jxxx (why bid some lousy 6-count). But as it is, do you really want to sell to 1NT or 2D the other way? I don't (unless my partner opens ridiculously light in 3d seat, which is a treatment some like but I don't care for). I think we have a lot of really good chances to compete here:

1. Partner might have 4 spades
2. Partner might have 4 clubs
3. Partner might have 6 hearts
4. We might do OK in a 5-2 H fit or a 4-3 spade fit
5. 1S might take away LHOs bid and we might settle in 1NT.

Lots of chances. If you pass and it goes 1NT or 2D by LHO then back to you, now what? You probably have about half the points in the deck and some playable spot, but how are you going to find it? Better to bid 1S immediately.

The main drawback of an immediate 1S isn't that we get too high; it's that partner gets off to the wrong lead against a NT or diamond contract.

Cheers,
Mike

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-19, 11:57

I would pass, largely because of the spade suit. Too likely the auction goes say 1-(x)-1-(2) end and partner thanks me for my spade bid and leads a spade from something he wished he hadn't (or raises/support Xs with 3 and it plays like a dog).

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-July-19, 16:43

View PostTramticket, on 2017-July-18, 05:33, said:

Thanks to those who have commented, including Mr Ace, who responded on the duplicate thread. [As an aside, it is very easy to accidentally create duplicates on this site].

I agree with Mr Ace: "No double does not change the responses at 1 level. It shows 4+ suit and 6+ hcp. But you may decide to pass marginal hands [...] The hand in your OP is a very legit hand and I do not see any reason to pass. you may very well be belong to 4 ♠ and that double does not guarantee 4 card spades."

Unfortunately we found out, in the post-match discussion in the restaurant, that we have been on a different wave-length for years. Partner agrees with The Badger, ggwhiz and mcphee. We will now be getting our methods aligned. Fortunately, this board did not prove a disaster - I made +80 in 1 (a trump lead would have defeated me by one trick).

our eventual agreement may include transfer responses (we already play transfer responses to over-calls). If anyone has an links to good reference material to transfer responses after an intervening t/o double it would be welcome.

http://bridgewinners...m-2-qpe3zvvreu/
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#18 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-19, 18:27

View PostMrAce, on 2017-July-19, 16:43, said:

I am glad that you have started a poll on Bridgewinners too. It'll be interesting to see their replies. It's a shame that we can't see in detail who has voted on BBO. At the time of writing it is neck and neck between pass and 1.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-July-19, 18:34

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-July-19, 18:27, said:

I am glad that you have started a poll on Bridgewinners too. It'll be interesting to see their replies. It's a shame that we can't see in detail who has voted on BBO. At the time of writing it is neck and neck between pass and 1.

To me the number of votes mean nothing, but who voted for what.

#20 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-July-19, 22:14

I don't get all the "partner is third hand" reasons not to bid. It's OK to be aware that partner may be light but I don't think that should influence your bidding. I think 1S is pretty much a no brainer.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users