BBO Discussion Forums: Your responses to partner's 2 Clubs opening bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your responses to partner's 2 Clubs opening bid? What system do you play?

#61 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-July-10, 13:54

View PostGrahamJson, on 2017-July-08, 15:45, said:

I find it difficult to believe that an expert forum is discussing how may points a hand of AKJ853 7 AKQ10 A6 is worth. Anyone who needs to count points in order to determine whether it is a 2C bid is surely playing the wrong game.

My preferred sequence I think someone has already suggested; 2C-2H-2S-3D etc. I don't think that a 2D "waiting" bid is appropriate when holding a good heart suit as a 2H response is descriptive without taking up any bidding space.

View Postcartruck, on 2017-June-21, 10:12, said:

I would have opened that hand 1. I don't open 2 suited hands 2 Clubs, unless I have more HCP than that. That hand is not good enough.

Swap the J of Spades for the Queen and I would.

View Postcartruck, on 2017-June-23, 12:34, said:

Opening 2 on weak hands is Fool's Gold. Don't do it.

View Postcartruck, on 2017-June-23, 12:33, said:

To clarify:

2 opener in my system shows 22+ Points (Our points system is heavily modified, Aces = 4 1/2 points (usually - have to deduct at times), etc.

When my father and I open 2 (very rarely) we got the goods.

Actually, I find someone telling me that opening the hand in question as 2 is fool's gold in an Expert Forum is even more obscene. Or to suggest that I need 11 playing tricks for a 2 open is just blasphemous.

The discussion of points came AFTER the person suggested the hand is question is not good enough for 2 and isn't a 22+ points hand (see above).

2♣ openings don't have to be determined by points. You can count losers or playing tricks as well. But if you were to play TOTAL points, the hand has more than 21 HCP and just how much is your call, but to dismiss it and suggest that it isn't a 22 point hand because we experts don't commit to such novice academic exercises during hand evaluation...no problems here.

At some point, however, you have to trade in shape and suit length and trick taking ability for points and while you may not want to commit an arbitrary # to it, you have to assign it something even if you prefer to evaluate 2♣ on a case-by-case basis.

#62 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-20, 18:16

The way my dad (born 1929) played it, as was advocated by the Dutch text books used for beginners in the 1990s, a strong 2M opening showed a semiforcing hand OR a GF 2-suiter. This means that the 2 opening was usually 23+ balanced OR a GF one-suited hand.

In that context, control-showing responses sound reasonable. If opener is balanced it doesn't matter so much and if he is one-suited, opener knows which suit is trump so he just needs to know if responder has some useful aces and kings.

In a modern system where 2 can be anything that would traditionally open at the 2-level, we really need to preserve the space below 3NT for finding our fit.

Does anyone play transfers, btw?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#63 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2017-August-06, 19:31

I recently played controls for the first time in ages, and didn't find enough merit to really want to repeat the experience. Most of the time I feel as if partner's either balanced or major oriented.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#64 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-10, 15:42

View Posthelene_t, on 2017-July-20, 18:16, said:

Well, there's me - post #42

#65 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-10, 23:55

View Posthelene_t, on 2017-July-20, 18:16, said:

One of the methods I played with a regular partner on BBO (some years ago) was 2 pos, 2 neg, 2-3 as SP transfers. As I posted previously, I think it is better to drop the (semi-)bal 2 transfer hands down to 2 but how onw organises the remaining suits between 2, 2NT and 3m is fully open and retaining transfers makes as much sense as the more popular nat + 2NT = structure.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#66 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2018-February-03, 17:17

I have found an interesting article on Karen Walker Library about this strong bid (looking for the jump rebid by opener): http://kwbridge.com/bb/b_2c.htm
(Lovera)

#67 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-12, 17:42

When the conditions are stictly defined for a positive answer the 2 as negative one is better and saving space when are lacking these indications. Anyhow the 2 opening that i use is forcing till 2NT or if is repeted a major suit two times (as double negative).

#68 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-22, 10:11

About jump bidding by 2 opener (see url in post #66) the 3NT (as negative) answer shows only a King or less whilest with an Ace can be raised trump and considering also that to get slam can be necessary a K w/ a Q aside or two Kings in right specific suits.

#69 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-February-24, 12:14

Some points.

1. I do not know of a single top US pair that plays 2 negative. I go out of my way not to make a positive response to 2. The only rational reason is that I would expect competition by my LHO.

2. I would open 2 with the 6=1=4=2 hand and not feel bad about it. My standards for 2 are pretty high.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#70 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-24, 12:51

After many years with my father I still play this:

2 I have a weak hand
2 = I have hearts
2 = I have spades
2NT = I am mostly balanced
3 = I have clubs
3 = I have diamonds

So far it has worked, and we didn't get any missunderstandings.

#71 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-February-24, 13:06

View PostFluffy, on 2018-February-24, 12:51, said:

After many years with my father I still play this:

2 I have a weak hand
2 = I have hearts
2 = I have spades
2NT = I am mostly balanced
3 = I have clubs
3 = I have diamonds

So far it has worked, and we didn't get any missunderstandings.

Complex stuff, this. ;)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users