BBO Discussion Forums: What do you lead from ace-king? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you lead from ace-king? "Standard" leads

Poll: Lead from ace-king (34 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you lead from AKxx against a suit contract?

1. I lead Ace, and I live in North America. (9 votes [26.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

2. I lead King, and I live in North America. (4 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

3. I lead differently in diferent partnerships, live in N.A. (3 votes [8.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

4. I lead Ace, and I live outside North America. (3 votes [8.82%] - View)

5. I lead King, and I live outside North America. (1 votes [2.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

6. I lead differently in different partnerships, outside N.A. (2 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

7. One asks for count, the other for attitude AGAINST SUITS (live in N.A.) (3 votes [8.82%] - View)

8. One asks for count, the other for attitude AGAINST SUITS (outside N.A.) (9 votes [26.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-03, 22:20

Hi, assume you lead "standard", such that you would lead the king from KQJx.

What do you lead from AKxx against a suit contract?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-04, 02:09

Some will lead one card to get count and the other to get attitude. The rest of the hand and the auction will determine which. You should include this as an option.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-04, 04:32

Standard carding against a suit contract is the ace - top of a sequence. A highly popular alternative in the UK is ace for attitude, king for count, in which the card chosen will depend on what information the leader deems more useful. Then there is a different group of players that get confused between suit and NT contracts and, learning that you only lead an ace against a NT contract with specific holdings (strong ace), carry the same logic over to suit contracts. If you choose any method where you always lead a specific honour from AKx(x), regardless of whether standard or Rusinow, you should agree that you lead the opposite card with AK bare.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-June-04, 13:15

Either is ok. Leading A from AK does create one dilemma which I witnessed on a hand last week.
If you have AK you usually have an easy lead and do so quickly. When you want to lead from Axxx you don't have an easy lead and will think longer than normal.
So when you lead an ace after taking a long time there is a good chance you don't have K and people especially your partner can figure this out.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-04, 14:08

View PostVampyr, on 2017-June-04, 02:09, said:

Some will lead one card to get count and the other to get attitude. The rest of the hand and the auction will determine which. You should include this as an option.
Thank you. I have given those as options. I didn't think anybody did that against suit contracts but I've been out of tournament bridge for over a decade.

#6 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-07, 14:52

Thanks to the few that answered. I had assumed that king from ace-king and also from king-queen went out of fashion many years go but apparently I am wrong.

The author who wrote the book which made me ask this question likes to lead unsupported aces far more frequently than i do, so I guess for someone who does that, king from AK and from KQ might make sense, although maybe Rusinow makes more sense (but probably not for his target audience.)

#7 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-08, 02:26

The question is specifically what lead from AKxx, not "what do you lead in general". My general play is K asks for count and A asks for attitude, but with this holding against suit contracts it is always K.

I don't understand Vampyr's (and others') answer. Under what circumstances would they lead which card from this holding against a suit contract?

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-08, 10:20

I lead Ace for attitude, King for count but it's all because of an early partner.

I would lead a K to dummies QJTx and he would always signal "I don't like them". Duh! I never changed back since it seems to work as well as anything else.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   cartruck 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-08, 16:14

As complex as it gets at times, I truly believe in the "Tell your entire hand as quickly as possibly" mentality/philosophy. SAYC that is core basic at first, then jumps into mild complexity once game/slam is established. Just get there fast. That is what seems to work best to me.

I lead Ace from AKXX as to not confuse my partner. He/she would already know that I do not lead unprotected Aces unless I am desperate to see the dummy and reasonably know it is safe.

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-15, 13:48

I added my vote (different agreements with different partners, playing in Italy) but don't pretend to be able to help others very much.
More curious to read the replies.

View Postcartruck, on 2017-June-08, 16:14, said:

I lead Ace from AKXX as to not confuse my partner. He/she would already know that I do not lead unprotected Aces unless I am desperate to see the dummy and reasonably know it is safe.

I follow you, but for me that's still one reason to lead King: I wasn't just desperate to see the dummy.
Plus: if I have the Ace it's protected by King, but not by KQ.

#11 User is offline   Vilgan 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Hiking, MTG, Go, Pacific NW.

Posted 2017-June-18, 11:19

I switched to rusinow with all willing partners, so K from AK is just part of that. I've been surprised at how nice it is to resolve the ambiguity, leading unsupported aces in certain situations comes up a lot more than I would have expected.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users