Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Posting to newsfeed

#1 User is offline   bbstar 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-March-08, 00:49

I think newsfeed was a great idea to allow TDs to advertise the upcoming tournaments, announce the results to all members (even if not playing in the tourney) etc.

Recently all the posts to the newsfeed were deleted. Currently users can post new news, but they only show up in users own feed; And the posts are deleted after logout.

What is the purpose of allowing to post news?
What are BBO plans with newsfeed?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-March-09, 15:41

The user posts in the newsfeed were not very popular, so we decided to remove it.

You're not supposed to be able to post anything any more. You may need to clear your cache to force it to pick up the new version. What version do you see if you go to Help -> About BBO? It should be 1.48u.

#3 User is offline   bbstar 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-March-09, 15:57

View Postbarmar, on 2017-March-09, 15:41, said:

The user posts in the newsfeed were not very popular, so we decided to remove it.

You're not supposed to be able to post anything any more. You may need to clear your cache to force it to pick up the new version. What version do you see if you go to Help -> About BBO? It should be 1.48u.

Thanks for the reply. My BBO version is 1.48t. Looks like the upgrade is complete now, as posting to newsfeed is removed.

Good luck to BBO!

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-March-09, 16:49

View Postbbstar, on 2017-March-09, 15:57, said:

Thanks for the reply. My BBO version is 1.48t. Looks like the upgrade is complete now, as posting to newsfeed is removed.

We made some small changes last night, it should be 1.48u now. I expect you'll get it in a day or so.

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2017-March-11, 09:28

"Not very popular so you decided to remove it?" How about allowing people to use what they want to use? Or do you mean that it actively caused abuse somehow?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-March-12, 13:39

View Postgwnn, on 2017-March-11, 09:28, said:

"Not very popular so you decided to remove it?" How about allowing people to use what they want to use? Or do you mean that it actively caused abuse somehow?

Many users were annoyed by all the posts from friends cluttering up the newsfeed.

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-12, 13:47

View Postbarmar, on 2017-March-12, 13:39, said:

Many users were annoyed by all the posts from friends cluttering up the newsfeed.

Are we sure that there is no solution other than the binary choice of turning the tap on or off?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-March-12, 14:00

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-March-12, 13:47, said:

Are we sure that there is no solution other than the binary choice of turning the tap on or off?

If we thought there were enough users who were interested in seeing them, we could have made it an advanced option. But you know our general opinion on proliferation of options.

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2017-March-12, 17:15

View Postbarmar, on 2017-March-12, 13:39, said:

Weren't the official BBO news on top regardless? So what were the posts from friends cluttering up, other than the now empty space at the bottom? This seems like a terrible solution to a bunch of users whining about a feature that they don't use/understand. I liked my friends' post a lot (and, like a good millennial, I enjoyed the thrill of posting some mildly interesting hand myself and getting likes for it) and didn't think I needed to write a thank you email to keep it from being turned off. I am much more interested in a funny hand played by a friend of mine than the "Daily top performer award" (yes I know others feel differently, but this is why both should be allowed...) Any chance you could check with people before you delete it just like that?
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2017-March-23, 02:29

I was thinking about this a bit more and it really sounds like a terrible solution to a non-problem. Just think about it, why can't you pin your official news on the top right and let people have their fun in the bottom half? The fact that people were complaining about being flooded by updates from their friends should tell you not that it's unpopular, but exactly the opposite: it must have been a very popular feature that most people gladly used and a few sour people didn't like that the "performer of the day" is hidden. You had a great idea to make BBO more fun and you took it down without asking anyone. At least start a poll here before you definitively disable the feature.
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-March-23, 05:24

View Postgwnn, on 2017-March-23, 02:29, said:

The fact that people were complaining about being flooded by updates from their friends should tell you not that it's unpopular, but exactly the opposite

How can the receipt of complaints be interpreted as positive evidence of popularity?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#12 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2017-March-23, 08:05

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-March-23, 05:24, said:

How can the receipt of complaints be interpreted as positive evidence of popularity?

If people are flooded by these "bridge tweets" and so much so that they are compelled to ask BBO to ban them, it means that tweeting is popular among other people. Otherwise, how would they be flooded?
      George Carlin

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2017-March-23, 13:52

Another way around the "flooding problem" without turning it off for everyone who likes it is the ability to "mute" people. It could be that I want to be friends with someone on BBO but I don't want to listen to their spam.

If you need any more alternatives, you know how to find me :P
      George Carlin

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-March-23, 14:14

View Postgwnn, on 2017-March-23, 08:05, said:

If people are flooded by these "bridge tweets" and so much so that they are compelled to ask BBO to ban them, it means that tweeting is popular among other people. Otherwise, how would they be flooded?

I suppose that there may be alternative ways of defining the popularity of a communication. I get inundated with phone calls asking me if I would like to claim back PPI, or perhaps I may be due compensation for a missed flight or road accident that I haven't had. No doubt you would categorise these calls as "popular" based on their high frequency. From the caller's perspective, no doubt they are.

(For the record I have no opinion on the specific issue here - just perplexed by your logic)

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2017-March-23, 14:22

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-March-23, 14:14, said:

I suppose that there may be alternative ways of defining the popularity of a communication. I get inundated with phone calls asking me if I would like to claim back PPI, or perhaps I may be due compensation for a missed flight or road accident that I haven't had. No doubt you would categorise these calls as "popular" based on their high frequency. From the caller's perspective, no doubt they are.

(For the record I have no opinion on the specific issue here - just perplexed by your logic)

How hard can this be? Clearly, a lot of people liked posting their hands online, and some people got annoyed. Clearly there was demand for the ability to post. The nuisance value is possibly there but there are ways around that, and anyway it is hard to compare.

Your analogy misses the point entirely and I have no idea if you are being intentionally obtuse or just are unwilling to try to understand what I mean. You are comparing companies badgering people to people posting things to each other. In the first case, the users are only on the receiving end, in the second case, the users are both the senders and the receivers. In the first case, "popularity" would be measured in the circles or angry customers who want to be left alone, and in the second case, you should gauge "popularity" across both senders and receivers. Should I make a powerpoint presentation along with this?
      George Carlin

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-March-23, 15:29

View Postgwnn, on 2017-March-23, 08:05, said:

I think what was happening is there were a small number of users who like to post lots of hands, and they each have lots of friends who ended up receiving them. The receivers are the ones who complain, and the number of these complaints is what leads us to believe that it's not popular.

I think almost all the hands in my newsfeed were from just 2 friends. And I don't even have lots of friends.

#17 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2017-March-23, 17:07

That's possible... I had several friends post several funny hands and usually enjoyed them. When I didn't feel like clicking on them, I didn't. I just don't know what the harm would be if you left this area:

Posted Image
for user-generated posts (plus a scroll bar)? Who would be hurt by this?

I don't want to go all "disgruntled customer" here but honestly this was my favorite feature that you added recently and it's just such an overreaction to just halt it when you could have it back so easily and have several ways out without stopping the fun for people who enjoy it (and no, not each of them involves different user interfaces for different users).
      George Carlin

#18 User is offline   chicca2015 

• Pip

Posted 2017-April-07, 00:58

i would like to be able to write news feed again please. im td bboitalia and newsfeed was very useful to advice about tournments and other events. is it possible to be able to create feed again? tyvm

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users