sigh

Yes, what would we do without that key? :rolleyes:

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#62 User is offline   scoob 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-April-14, 10:56

any chance there's a tutorial online that teaches everything a certified TD would know, but doesn't actually provide certification?

i would gladly host BBO tourneys but have never bothered simply because i've never TD'd and my familiarity with the laws is minimal at best.

#63 User is offline   shoeless 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-14, 11:51

Seems to me when a topic returns again and again, BBO might want to find some mechanisms to facilitate improvement. I appreciate that BBO does not wish to actively participate in directing tournaments or in the qualifying or certifying of directors. But it does appear that there is a quality issue at hand that might be worthwhile addressing. I have submitted suggestions on other threads about this issue and the silence was deafing in response. Can generally supporting the development of more qualified directors (without going on a witch hunt or weeding out campaign) be such a onerous thing to do? Is finding a way to make the rules and rulings readily clickable somewhere in support of the director too resource intensive? Can we borrow Roland from Vugraph for 6 months to whip this thing into shape? We teach and mentor players all over this site these days - might we do the same for directors? Reactively we can easily say 'I don't see anyone standing up to do this' -proactively we might just quietly ask around to see if there is someone who has the skill and willingness to do it.

#64 User is offline   guggie 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-14, 17:24

I have until now directed on average 2 IMP tournaments a week. What do I do?
1. subbing
2. adjusting
3. mind the time (hurry up slow tables)
4. give warnings about non - alerts, with the odd adjusted score
5. give warnings about non-english
6. give warnings or remove players with rude behaviour

Subbing is the most time consuming, anyway if you want to match the sub to the partner-to-be. Adjusting is the hardest part, especially (ofcourse) if only a few tricks are played. But if you do not adjust, you put a premium on intentionally slow play.
Score correction based on non-alerts is a relatively rare phenomenon, and in my view the only part in which formal knowledge of the rules should be required.

In my view, the other parts of directing are much more important to create a friendly athmosfere tournament. In about one of 10 tournamenst I give an adjusted score based on my non-certified interpretation of the bridge rules. If I have to study to be a certified international TD I will not be able to log in on BBO for the next 4 yrs. To make DrTodd happy that my 1-in-10 tournaments ruling is 95% correct instead of the 80% (rough estimate) it is now.

Wow

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users