Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Extended Puppet Stayman New Convention

#1 User is offline   Cheryl88 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-July-12, 09:56

Hi! I thought up a new convention I'd like to share. (At least I hope it's new.)

Advantages: To be able to Puppet at the 2C level without problems and to be able to make a Jacoby transfer after Puppet (I.e. 5-3 in the majors and invitational hand.)
Drawback: Cannot do Trash Puppet Stayman.

After 1NT (any 3 or 4 point range is possible):
2C = Extended Puppet, invitational or better, 3 or 4 card major but does not need to have one

After 1NT-2C:
2D = 1 or 2 four card majors
2H/2S = five card major
2NT = no four or five card major, minimum, opener can pass
3C = no four or five card major, maximum, game forcing

After 1NT-2C-2D:
2H = four card spade suit (Smolen), opener must bid 2S, 2NT, 4S, or 3NT
2S = four card heart suit (Smolen)
2NT = invitational, no four card major
3C = both four card majors, opener bids 3 or 4 of their major
3D/3H = belated Jacoby Transfers, 5-3 in majors, invitational or GF, else immediate Jacoby Transfer, with a maximum opener can super accept or bid 3NT
3NT = sign-off, no four card major
4C = Gerber

After 1NT-2C-2NT:
pass = minimum opposite an invitational hand
3D/3H = belated Jacoby Transfers, 5-3 in majors, invitational or GF, else immediate Jacoby Transfer
3NT = maximum, sign-off
3C = for 3-0-5-5 type hands, having asked for a 5-3 major suit fit, now settling on a minor, can also be used on 3154 hands that play better in a minor than notrump
3S = ?, could be used for slam investigation, baby Blackwood, etc. or just not used
4C = Gerber

After 1NT-2C-3C:
same as above except no 3-0-5-5. Must bid 3NT, 4C, or 5C after 3C.

#2 User is offline   kaltstart 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-12, 12:32

With one partner I also use 2 puppet, but our 2 doesn´t promise a 4card major. This way, we can also use "garbage"-puppet, which turned out useful several times.

Anyway, Auken-Welland also seem to employ a puppet stayman approach over their 1nt opener. Would be interesting to get to know their further bidding. They seem to use transfers after the initial response.

#3 User is offline   Cheryl88 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-12, 17:20

View Postkaltstart, on 2016-July-12, 12:32, said:

With one partner I also use 2 puppet, but our 2 doesn´t promise a 4card major. This way, we can also use "garbage"-puppet, which turned out useful several times.

Anyway, Auken-Welland also seem to employ a puppet stayman approach over their 1nt opener. Would be interesting to get to know their further bidding. They seem to use transfers after the initial response.

Hi, Kaltstart. What do you do with 5-3 in the majors?

Another system I heard of is 5 card Transfers. We still came across a problem with that one.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-13, 09:06

Hi Cheryl, welcome to the BBO forums. I personally use a 1NT structure based around Puppet Stayman and have posted that on BBF more than once - you can probably find it with a search. It differs from your scheme in several ways though. For example, hands without a 4 card major rebid 2 and 2 over this asks for, but does not promise, 4 spades. There is enough space for this, which caters to a wider range of hands including invites without a major and slammy hands looking for a minor suit fit. Instead of a 2NT rebid denying a major, it instead shows both majors (4-4) and minimum, with a 3 rebid showing both majors (4+-4+) and GF.

Hands with 5-3 in the majors are handled slightly differently according to strength. With a weak hand you transfer and pass. Invites use the sequence 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 or 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT, with Opener checking back with a 5 card major and maximum. This means that a 5-3 major fit might get buried in a part score but not for game. Game forcing hands begin with 2, then ask about the long major and, if necessary, show the 5th card.

Please feel free to look it up and peruse. You might find that it has some features that appeal to you.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#5 User is offline   Cheryl88 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 17:09

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-July-13, 09:06, said:

Hi Cheryl, welcome to the BBO forums. I personally use a 1NT structure based around Puppet Stayman and have posted that on BBF more than once - you can probably find it with a search. It differs from your scheme in several ways though. For example, hands without a 4 card major rebid 2 and 2 over this asks for, but does not promise, 4 spades. There is enough space for this, which caters to a wider range of hands including invites without a major and slammy hands looking for a minor suit fit. Instead of a 2NT rebid denying a major, it instead shows both majors (4-4) and minimum, with a 3 rebid showing both majors (4+-4+) and GF.

Hands with 5-3 in the majors are handled slightly differently according to strength. With a weak hand you transfer and pass. Invites use the sequence 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 or 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT, with Opener checking back with a 5 card major and maximum. This means that a 5-3 major fit might get buried in a part score but not for game. Game forcing hands begin with 2, then ask about the long major and, if necessary, show the 5th card.

Please feel free to look it up and peruse. You might find that it has some features that appeal to you.

Hi, Zelandakh. Thank you for your reply. I spent a couple hours trying to search your posts but could only find bits and pieces. I guess the main difference is that the rebids showing both or no 4 card majors are reversed. Is there an advantage to either? Otherwise mine seem simpler because it follows the common 2NT puppet system of Cohen.

I did come across the very interesting 1NT-2C-2D (forced) system. Seems like a worthwhile system to me, except complicated. Thanks.

Couldn't find your specific system, though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users