BBO Discussion Forums: So called expert - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So called expert Do you have trouble with experts?

#21 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-14, 01:46

View Postlycier, on 2016-June-14, 01:33, said:

Yes,yes, I agree.
In fact, some bbo star players also label themselves as a beginner / intermediate / advanced.
For example, Dano de falco, he always be a bbo star in our hearts, always be a great expert in the world.

Posted Image

So self-rating ranking is useless.

Well it looks to me that he has self assessed as "Private". Read into that "beginner" (or anything else) at your own risk.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#22 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-14, 02:55

So any people who likes to care about self rating ranking is stupid.
Who care about it?
What can self rating ranking stand for?
Nothing.

#23 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-14, 05:36

There are some honest players
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-June-14, 08:49

View Postlycier, on 2016-June-14, 01:33, said:

Yes,yes, I agree.
In fact, some bbo star players also label themselves as a beginner / intermediate / advanced.

I think the stars who rate themselves as beginners are just joking. The star itself is a testament to their expertise, so the rating is meaningless.

#25 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-14, 09:18

View Postbarmar, on 2016-June-14, 08:49, said:

so the rating is meaningless.

So suggest the rating option on the profile should be deleted.

#26 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-June-14, 09:24

View Postlycier, on 2016-June-14, 09:18, said:

So suggest the rating option on the profile should be deleted.

There are lots more important things we could be doing with our limited programming resources.

We already hide their masterpoint rating, because we use the same place to show the star.

#27 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-14, 12:37

View Postbarmar, on 2016-June-14, 09:24, said:

There are lots more important things we could be doing with our limited programming resources.

We already hide their masterpoint rating, because we use the same place to show the star.

As a software developer, I would guess that someone familiar with the code could replace the self rating with a blank space (or whatever) in less than a couple of minutes, and test it in 5 minutes. Clearly BBO decided that self ratings were a good thing before they added the feature and doesn't want to change. I have no real problem with that.

#28 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-June-14, 12:47

View Postjohnu, on 2016-June-14, 12:37, said:

As a software developer, I would guess that someone familiar with the code could replace the self rating with a blank space (or whatever) in less than a couple of minutes, and test it in 5 minutes. Clearly BBO decided that self ratings were a good thing before they added the feature and doesn't want to change. I have no real problem with that.

What's the problem with showing it, anyway? If a national champion wants to put "Beginner" in his profile to be ironic, who's he hurting?

Many experts write about how they're always learning new things about the game, you never really master it. Calling themselves beginners is a humorous way to emphasize this.

#29 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-14, 16:21

View Postbarmar, on 2016-June-14, 12:47, said:

What's the problem with showing it, anyway? If a national champion wants to put "Beginner" in his profile to be ironic, who's he hurting?

Ask lycier, not me. To tell you the truth, the only time I look at self ratings is when I kibitz a JEC match and some unknown spec makes a particularly stupid remark and for my own amusement, I check their self rating.

#30 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-15, 02:06

I was just pointing out, a remark like the one I called out, generalising to all players in a particular group - in this instance the Acol club - is bound to upset plenty of guys.

Was I personally upset? No, probably not. I think years of arguing on the internet has given me a fairly thick skin. I play all the time in the Acol club because it's the system I know best (in fact it would be more accurate to say, it's the only system I know ... :huh: ). Does this make me an 'inferior' player? I'll let others judge.

Oh yes I've made plenty of stupid mistakes. Like yesterday, when I called a gerber 4, and on hearing the 4 response, thought to myself "aha: three aces" (sic). I ended up taking it to 7NT, missing an ace :blink: ! Of course I'd got the blackwood and gerber responses mixed up. Of course I apologised profusely to partner (who was very understanding).

And of course I've had the occasional partner who's committed a comparable cock-up. What I like best, is playing with a partner who's big enough to admit when they got it wrong! Luckily there are plenty of pretty good players in the Acol club (and, I hope, elsewhere on BBO) who're prepared to do that.

Plenty, but not all.

#31 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-15, 02:39

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-June-15, 02:06, said:

I was just pointing out, a remark like the one I called out, generalising to all players in a particular group - in this instance the Acol club - is bound to upset plenty of guys.

Was I personally upset? No, probably not. I think years of arguing on the internet has given me a fairly thick skin. I play all the time in the Acol club because it's the system I know best (in fact it would be more accurate to say, it's the only system I know ... :huh: ). Does this make me an 'inferior' player? I'll let others judge.

What is inferior? You are an intermediate, the same as the vast majority of the Acol Club. Roland's point about there not being any experts in the Acol Club is a real one. It is the truth. There are a few advanced players and perhaps one or two beginners but the vast majority are intermediates. And there is nothing wrong with that - I am an intermediate too! ;)
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#32 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-15, 02:51

FWIW I think over-rating oneself is less of a problem in the Acol club than in the main room, although it obviously exists everywhere.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#33 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-15, 04:20

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-June-15, 02:39, said:

Roland's point about there not being any experts in the Acol Club
That's not what he said, though. He said "the overall standard is so poor...". Which in my book means something totally different. But enough said.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users