• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's with 'fourth best'?

#1 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-24, 14:07

Why do so many players rigidly stick to that lead in no trumps? Are we talking some sort of rule that 'must be obeyed'?

I was kibitzing a hand recently, declarer was in 3nt, and LHO was faced with:

Declarer and partner had bid both majors between them.

With my advantageous view of all four hands, I could easily see that a diamond lead would have killed the contract. But, predictably, out came the 4 . And 3NT was made - easily.

With so poor a hand and only one potential side entry, surely West didn't expect to run his clubs! Wouldn't it be better to 'play for partner's strength'?

All I can say is, if I'm defending 3nt, don't expect a fourth best from me every time!

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-24, 14:58

Depends on the exact auction, but:

So you lead a diamond and find partner with Jxx(x)/10xxx allowing declarer to make 4 tricks without losing the lead, that's likely to be fatal (although declarer might be fooled about the layout if partner has the J).

A club lead may give away a trick, but less likely to be 2 and might hit gold with partner holding A10x or Axxx.

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-24, 15:30

Geoff Hampson: I can't tell you how many imps I lost over the years from not leading 4th best from my long suit.

There are exceptions of course but that's good enough for me.

I played 1 matchpoint game with Lynn Deas and her last remark before we started was "Oh, and we ALWAYS lead 4th best against notrump. I did with 6 petunias in spades and out and caught her with Axx, 2-2 in declarers hands and with an entry in hers
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-February-24, 18:09

The rationale for a 4th best lead pertains to the defense's strategy versus NT. With the declaring side having 25+ points, you aren't likely to beat the contract by taking high cards. Rather the objective of the defense is to set up and take long suit tricks before declarer can set up and cash 9 tricks. That depends on a couple things. First, you need a suit that has prospects of being set up. Second, you need an entry to be able to cash the long tricks.

Unfortunately, this approach to NT defense is rarely explicitly laid out to newer players. Instead, they are taught a hierarchy of leads starting with honor sequences, inner sequences, and leading down to 4th best and top of nothing. For more than a few players, the opening lead against no trump then simply gets down to running through this hierarchy and choosing the highest category of lead available in their hand. Often, it is 4th best.

A better approach for the opening leader is to ask "Whose suit are we trying to set up? My suit or partners?" as part of the process of deciding what to lead. To answer the question requires a little analysis.

First, opening leader can calculate partner's highest possible HCP by adding 25 to the points in his/her hand and subtracting from 40. The answer may tell if you are likely to be hit a suit which can be set up and if their might be an entry. Here, opening leader has 5 HCP, so partner has 9 or possibly 10 HCP at most. That's not a lot but enough to possibly have something in a suit and a side entry.

Second, if opening leader has a suit, opener needs to ask "Can my suit be set up? Do I have a potential entry?" Here again, the answer is Q might be an entry, but it'll take any awful lot to set up the suit.

Third, analyze the auction for clues as to what partner might hold. Sometimes what the opponents bid and don't bid can be very edifying. Here again the opponents are bidding the majors, so it seems like a minor suit lead should be made.

Putting it together, your best hope is to try hit partner with a suit and entry and lead the Q.

There is ONE BIG EXCEPTION. When the opponents have a "tortured" auction, find no fit and barely get to game, then you need to think about making a passive lead which gives away the least. Example - Opponents auction - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 NT - 2 - 2 NT - 3 NT and you hold K432 109 Q83 J962. They've barely limped into 3 NT with no great fit. What do you know about the hand from the auction. Well, partner has to have 4 - responder has 4 and opener 3 from his delayed raise. What lead potentially gives away the least? I found the 10 reasoning that with 4 to an honor it might help partner and probably wouldn't give much away. As it turned out partner held KJxx over Qxxx in dummy and helped us score 3 , K and another to beat 3 NT.

One final example - opponents auction 1 NT - 2 - 2 - 3 NT and you hold 9 1063 Q7643 J952. What do you know? With 3 HCP, partner can hold as many 11-12. My suits aren't likely to be set up and more importantly there's no entry. So, it looks like we need to find partner's suit. From the auction, responder has 4 and opener probably 3 at most. That gives partner at least 5 . It wasn't going to be my suit, so I led 9 partner's known suit. (So much for not leading stiffs at NT.) Partner actually held 6 and 11 points and with the lead became able to beat 3 NT by 2 tricks. Any other lead would let opener make.

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-February-24, 19:36

oryctolagi, on 2016-February-24, 14:07, said:

All I can say is, if I'm defending 3nt, don't expect a fourth best from me every time!

Of course it's not always best to lead from a 4+ card suit, but I'm not sure your (quite incomplete) example is a great demonstration of this.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-25, 01:52

They do it, or play 3/5th ( rules of 10,11,12 ) cos it works best but they also listen to the auction. I suggest you read Goren, better bridge for better players, chapter two. And you will be.

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-25, 03:57

ggwhiz, on 2016-February-24, 15:30, said:

Geoff Hampson: I can't tell you how many imps I lost over the years from not leading 4th best from my long suit.

There are exceptions of course but that's good enough for me.

I played 1 matchpoint game with Lynn Deas and her last remark before we started was "Oh, and we ALWAYS lead 4th best against notrump. I did with 6 petunias in spades and out and caught her with Axx, 2-2 in declarers hands and with an entry in hers

Did Geoff Hampson and Deas tell you how many IMPs they lost by leading fourth best?
I bet they don't know either.
Humans have a selective memory and even experts are human.
If they choose an unorthodox lead and it backfires it hurts and memory will record the result.
If they choose fourth best from longest and strongest and another unorthodox lead would have fared better, the reaction is shrug your shoulder and get to the next board.

Not every notrump game centers around the issue, which side can first establish a suit. Often declarer has not enough tricks and needs help from the defense.

Do not get me wrong. I do not recommend a lead from shortest and weakest against notrump.
The subject is complex and no matter what's your strategy, it will often fail.

Instead of recommending simplistic rules, which are not really backed up by statistics, I recommend

Bird/Anthias book Winning NT leads

You can find a discussion and a review at http://www.bridgebas...-opening-leads/

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2016-February-25, 04:25

I hope I am declarer someday in a NT contract with you on lead! :rolleyes:

#9 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-February-25, 06:58

oryctolagi, on 2016-February-24, 14:07, said:

Why do so many players rigidly stick to that lead in no trumps? Are we talking some sort of rule that 'must be obeyed'?

I was kibitzing a hand recently, declarer was in 3nt, and LHO was faced with:

Declarer and partner had bid both majors between them.

With my advantageous view of all four hands, I could easily see that a diamond lead would have killed the contract. But, predictably, out came the 4 . And 3NT was made - easily.

With so poor a hand and only one potential side entry, surely West didn't expect to run his clubs! Wouldn't it be better to 'play for partner's strength'?

The reason why 4th highest is led at NTs is simple...for partner to use the so called "Rule of Eleven" but it should be remembered not to
apply the procedure too rigidly. Only an automaton plays the same way all the time(!) Other ways of leading could be leading a suit partner has bid,
or leading 'top of nothing' It should also be remembered that a rule,ANY rule no matter how old it is is just a guide,not a muzzle. Even a top darts player
doesn't hit the bullseye every time(!)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#10 User is offline   fluff 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-February-25, 08:51

For our part, we lead 3/5 all the time. Always leading 4th best vs NT is perfect in theory, but, sometimes, with the bidding pointing you towards the unbid suit, you will lead small from Hxx. So why not systematize 3/5 ? Partner, seeing your smallest, will now right away your count. Obviously, you will lead top from xxx.

#11 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-25, 09:47

You say that declarer and partner had bid both majors between them. In which case it seems obvious to lead partner's suit (assuming a normal auction) especially as partner may have bid in order to direct a lead. This is particularly the case if he has overcalled.

I see that a diamond lead is the winner but, unless there were strong inferences from the bidding, I think you would need second sight, or a second PC, to come up.with that.

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-25, 09:49

rhm, on 2016-February-25, 03:57, said:

Did Geoff Hampson and Deas tell you how many IMPs they lost by leading fourth best?
I bet they don't know either.
Humans have a selective memory and even experts are human.
If they choose an unorthodox lead and it backfires it hurts and memory will record the result.
If they choose fourth best from longest and strongest and another unorthodox lead would have fared better, the reaction is shrug your shoulder and get to the next board.

In the Lynn Deas case I think her reasoning was that I'll win on bidding and mid hand defense so I want to make the same leads as the field.

To not do so is swinging, fine if you have a decent reason or your game needs a boost but I have played against a few pairs that almost always lead short suits and they are palookas.

I also remember reading that Hampson (and Levine and Weinstein) are regarded as the types that will beat anyone in a KO but are not great at racking up big matchpoints against random fields so it comes down to what style of player you want to be.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-February-25, 10:17

fluff, on 2016-February-25, 08:51, said:

For our part, we lead 3/5 all the time. Always leading 4th best vs NT is perfect in theory, but, sometimes, with the bidding pointing you towards the unbid suit, you will lead small from Hxx. So why not systematize 3/5 2/4?

FYP.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-25, 10:20

GrahamJson, on 2016-February-25, 09:47, said:

I see that a diamond lead is the winner but, unless there were strong inferences from the bidding, I think you would need second sight, or a second PC, to come up.with that.

A couple of coughs ought to be sufficient. ;)
(-: Zel :-)

#15 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-25, 10:32

In autshell because it needs the least number of cards from your p to run the suit. In case you dont have the book or it has not occurred to you to look at defence this way

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-February-25, 11:59

There seem to be two questions here:

1. Should I lead from my longest suit or not?

2. When I lead from my longest suit, should I lead 4th best?

Most of the responses seem to be for #1, but some are for #2.

The title implies that #2 is the question the OP was concerned with, but the mention of leading a diamond in the text indicates that #1 is his real question.

There are no hard and fast rules, but a reasonable guideline is to lead your longest suit if it's a strong suit or you have a side entry. But if your hand is very weak, even if you can set up the suit you may not be able to get back in; in that case, you often try to find your partner's suit, since he'll have the side entry to take advantage of it.

The hand in the question looks to me to be on the borderline of the criteria, but I think I'd lead a club. It's possible that declarer will have to take a finesse into one of your queens, so trying to set up your clubs could work. And sometimes you find partner with Axxx in that suit, and the suit sets up right away.

#17 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-25, 13:31

PhilG007, on 2016-February-25, 06:58, said:

The reason why 4th highest is led at NTs is simple...for partner to use the so called "Rule of Eleven"

Declarer is equally capable of applying the rule of 11, so it is not a one-way street even if that is the reason.
Furthermore, if playing 3rd and 5th leads, you just apply the rule of 10 and 12 instead.
All that is required is some consistency and agreement regarding what card you would lead from a holding.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#18 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-25, 14:18

The point is certainly worth making, that all defensive conventions (including things like HELD and McKenney) might give information to declarer as well as to your partner. I don't suppose there's any getting away from it: you can't (legally) exchange any information with partner without giving declarer a few clues...

Unlike psyching or other unusual bidding, I don't think there are any rules laid down in the big tournaments, about falsecarding during play (assuming you don't have an undeclared agreement with partner). Or are there?

#19 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-25, 14:29

mgoetze, on 2016-February-24, 19:36, said:

Of course it's not always best to lead from a 4+ card suit, but I'm not sure your (quite incomplete) example is a great demonstration of this.

You're right, I didn't give full details of this hand because I wanted to have the topic discussed on more general terms (as it has indeed turned out).

Bear in mind I was only kibitzing, not playing this hand. As it happens, East held AJ10xx in plus a side entry, while declarer had Kxx. But East hadn't bid, so it would have been down to guesswork. I'm not a great fan of the person who was declarer, so I was willing West to come out with that Q :rolleyes: . But it didn't happen...

#20 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-25, 14:47

I agree that the Queen of diamonds lead is pretty clearly indicated on this particular hand, even with a side 5 card suit, simply because the weakness of the hand makes it a better bet to try to hit partner's suit.

However, with a five (or six) card suit, there are many ways to win, so a club lead is by no means hopeless when headed by an honor (so it won't block if established). It is possible that the opponents cards in your 5 or 6 card suit are divided 2-2, for example.

Indeed, the attractiveness of the club lead would be considerably greater if the suit were a little better, e.g., Qxx, xxx, xx, QJxxx and the 4th best club would probably be my choice.

It should be mentioned that the diamond lead would not be so attractive without the Queen in that suit. That is, it is important that you have a honor to contribute in trying to hit and establish partner's hoped for suit. To this end, Kx and Qx are the most desirable "hit partner's suit" leads when leading against 3NT with a weak hand.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users