• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The thought police The banning of criticism in New Zealand

#1 User is offline   Bad_Wolf 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Mathematics, history.

Posted 2016-March-06, 20:50

Check this out, it would never fly in the US (or most places for that matter).
The thought police are alive and well in New Zealand..
The board of New Zealand Bridge has adopted a new “Social media policy”. This policy specifically includes as “social media” private texts and emails!
The policy forbids, amongst other infractions, any social media “post or circulation” that includes any

“…disparaging language or commentary regarding a Player, Board or Committee member, official, the organisation or its Affiliated Clubs”

The penalty for failing to remove such a “disparaging” post is that the board may
“initiate formal disciplinary action with the potential for sanctions to be imposed as a consequence.”

The sanctions that may be imposed are wide ranging and include fines and expulsion from bridge in New Zealand.

Understandably there has been widespread criticism of this policy prior to its adoption, to no avail.

I would like to beg your indulgence as I test this policy on this fora.

The board of New Zealand bridge is acting in a heavy handed, patronising manner that may well breach New Zealand legislation. Far from acting in the best interests of bridge in the country they are acting simply to stifle criticism and healthy debate. The policy is a disgusting Stalinesque trampling of freedom of speech that I wrongly believed had been mostly eradicated from modern democracies. Shame, shame, you bunch of power mad megalomaniacs.

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-March-06, 21:13

View PostBad_Wolf, on 2016-March-06, 20:50, said:

The board of New Zealand Bridge has adopted a new "Social media policy". This policy specifically includes as "social media" private texts and emails!The policy forbids, amongst other infractions, any social media "post or circulation" that includes any "…disparaging language or commentary regarding a Player, Board or Committee member, official, the organisation or its Affiliated Clubs" The penalty for failing to remove such a "disparaging" post is that the board may "initiate formal disciplinary action with the potential for sanctions to be imposed as a consequence."The sanctions that may be imposed are wide ranging and include fines and expulsion from bridge in New Zealand. [SNIP]
An apathetic public allow most organizations, especially Bridge organisations, to bask in indolent incompetence. Unless we take the trouble to stand for election, vote, or at the very least criticize, the consequences are our fault, it is human nature for the official culprits to object; but the organisation, as a whole, should welcome and profit from such attentions.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-07, 03:36

I think you'll get a DP of at least two VPs for that post, Bad_Wolf
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-07, 03:49

The most recent policy document I could find at the NZB website is this one dated 22nd September. As far as I can see it has nothing in it to suggest private texts and emails are the issue suggested in the OP. Is there a new document?
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-07, 07:34

Banning criticism is nigh proof of incompetence.

Furthermore it is harmful long term. Those orgs/clubs/officials/players that deserve criticism will drive down participation if unchecked.

Uh oh I may have just got myself banned.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   Bad_Wolf 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Mathematics, history.

Posted 2016-March-08, 12:50

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-March-07, 03:49, said:

The most recent policy document I could find at the NZB website is this one dated 22nd September. As far as I can see it has nothing in it to suggest private texts and emails are the issue suggested in the OP. Is there a new document?

The New manual is on the NZBridge website. See page A52. The next page instructs us to "respect the rights...of others", except freedom of expression apparantly.

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-08, 14:15

Let's see if I have this right. If, after I go down in a cold contract, I say that "I really screwed that up" that would be disparaging language or commentary regarding a Player, right?
Ken

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-March-09, 12:39

View Postkenberg, on 2016-March-08, 14:15, said:

Let's see if I have this right. If, after I go down in a cold contract, I say that "I really screwed that up" that would be disparaging language or commentary regarding a Player, right?

And you'd better not slap yourself on the wrist, lest you be accused of assault.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-09, 13:53

Are those responsible for formulating the policy elected officials on a fixed term, out of curiosity?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users