• You cannot reply to this topic

Wrongly Placed Trumps

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-January-04, 17:47

Matchpoints - I am South.

the lead is the 4 of hearts to king Ace 2. At the speed of light the 6 of hearts comes back and I discard the 9 of spades on which west plays the Q of spades... however
my partner has layed out the dummy wrong and has spades on the left then diamond then club then hearts. They just had the auction like 2 seconds earlier but they wanted a ruling.

the contract went 2 down which was like a 70% board and it was ajusted to 3 down which was like 30% or something... I just felt a bit meh about it, from the 2nd heart its clear they arent the greatest players in the world and even if she did trump it she might well have cashed the ace of diamond or something.

I can't say I really care but interested in thoughts :)

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-04, 18:48

If dummy puts the hand down incorrectly and declarer doesn't correct the irregularity I don't really see how the declaring side has any cause for complaint. I'd accept the ruling and move on.

A quick look through the rule book gives me Law 12A1 or Law 23 as a basis for adjustment. I may be missing something though.

#3 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-05, 03:13

What has the speed of light to do with it? N made a mistake when laying down his cards and neither N nor S corrected it. It's a clear cut 23 case.
Joost

#4 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-05, 05:17

I agree with the other replies. It's perhaps worth mentioning that putting trumps on the left is a legal requirement, not just a custom (law 41D).

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-05, 08:24

It's the legal requirement that makes it a law 23 case. If the placement of trumps were just custom, rather than law, then not placing to dummy's right would not be an irregularity, and law 23 would not apply.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users