BBO Discussion Forums: how to bid this hand, slam bidding, - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how to bid this hand, slam bidding, What is the right way to bid this hand,

#1 User is offline   tendol 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-December-23, 16:36

South has opened 1 Heart.
West passes.
How should north bid this hand? East west are passing throughout.

North Holds
Spade J
Heart K T 5 3
D A K Q 9
C K Q 6 2

Should N bid, 4NT or Jacoby 2 NT, or Splinter 3 Spades?

Also, how should the bidding proceed, if south holds

Spade 9 7 3
H A Q 9 7 6 2
D 4
C A J 4

Thanks

#2 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-23, 17:12

If you have the ability to show a shortage after bidding Jacoby, then I would do that. However, standard common continuations do not have that, so if you start with Jacoby, partner with poor spades will be unable to judge that suit. In this case you are so strong that you will be driving the contract, not him, so this is not really a consideration.

A splinter is a possibility, if you do not have agreements on strength limits, but again you will be making the decisions, so it is not necessary.

Without the Jacoby followed by shortage, ace asking is fine. With an ace missing you will stop in 6, and with all 5 aces you will ask for kings and can see potentially 13 tricks with 5 hearts, 3 clubs, 3 diamonds, and 2 spade ruffs, assuming no useful unknown Qs or Js in his hand. Yes, there is no problem with immediate asking. (Not being able able to potentially count to 13 would be a deterrent.)

With the South hand and standard RKCB it would therefore go 1H 4NT, 5S 6H.

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-23, 17:17

If your Jacoby continuations allow partner to show specifically a void in spades, then this is a better start, as it gives that extra option. Discover that, and then if no spade void, ace ask as above to end in 6. If he has a spade void, then you can bid 7.

I would recommend having the ability after Jacoby for responder as well as opener to show a shortage, then to be able to discover whether singleton or void beneath game. It is very useful.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-23, 19:26

1-4N-5-6 is a pretty sensible auction if you don't have detailed agreements about your Jacoby continuations.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-23, 19:54

Given that a decent number of players play that an immediate 4nt = regular blackwood, not RKC, it's probably way more sensible to bid Jacoby first. You don't really lose much by bidding Jacoby first, just a little bit of disclosure about opener's hand, and you avoid accidents.

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-December-23, 21:27

Once South opens 1 a probable slam comes into view for North.

North should see that with a stiff and KQ there is no potential for 2 losers in any side suit. Typically, that will push North towards using the ace/keycard bid.

If North's hand were Jx K1053 AKQ9 KQ6, then before committing to slam North would need to assure there are not 2 losers. That would push the auction towards cue bidding so that a control could be identified before getting too high.

I agree with Cyberyeti's auction if South would interpret 1 - 4 NT as RKCB/1430. If not, Stephen Tu's comments are apropro. Just use Jacoby and follow it with RKCB. Perhaps,

1 - 2 NT
3 - 4 NT
5 - 6

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-24, 02:10

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-December-23, 19:54, said:

Given that a decent number of players play that an immediate 4nt = regular blackwood, not RKC, it's probably way more sensible to bid Jacoby first. You don't really lose much by bidding Jacoby first, just a little bit of disclosure about opener's hand, and you avoid accidents.

Decent is the exaggeration of the year.
A tiny number of expert partnerships might have this very special agreement.
Surely they will also be able to construct a few hands with a solid suit and a singleton in partners suit, where this agreement would come in handy.
Meanwhile 99% of all tournament players do not care about such silly agreements, which come up every second leap year at best, and live happily without them.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-December-24, 02:56

This thread is a bit relevant, where Justin says most people (but not him) think it should be regular Blackwood (at least in 2009):
http://www.bridgebas...c/34354-1z-4nt/
I agree that regular Blackwood is a bit silly but I don't think it's fair to say that 99% of people play RKC. Probably relatively few people actually discuss it and would interpet by default RKC when undiscussed, but I don't think regular Blackwood is played by such a vanishing number of people when we just consider people who've thought about it and discussed it specifically. Anyway there's some chance we actually agree but are talking about different things.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-December-24, 04:47

View Postrhm, on 2015-December-24, 02:10, said:

Decent is the exaggeration of the year.
A tiny number of expert partnerships might have this very special agreement.
Surely they will also be able to construct a few hands with a solid suit and a singleton in partners suit, where this agreement would come in handy.
Meanwhile 99% of all tournament players do not care about such silly agreements, which come up every second leap year at best, and live happily without them.

Rainer Herrmann

Agree, and some of us will have the agreement that a SJS then blackwood is how we bid that hand type.

#10 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-24, 05:05

I started out writing that splintering on this hand is nuts, then persuaded myself otherwise. I think it's just about the range that if I splinter and P signs off, I still want to be in small (subject to enough KCs), and if I splinter and he encourages, I want to be in grand (with same caveat).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#11 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-December-24, 06:06

The only issue with immediate keycard is whether partner with 6 to the ace shows the Q he doesn't have. If your Jacoby or splinter guarantees 4 trumps, then that's a good reason for taking it slower.

#12 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-24, 06:20

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-December-24, 06:06, said:

.. the Q ..

Good point - if Jacoby guarantees 4 card support then opener without the Q but having 6 cards can pretend he has the Q, on the 10 card fit. Start with Jacoby whatever your methods.

#13 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-24, 06:21

Blackwood or RKCB isn't the point, any partnership will know what they play. The important issue in my view is to have useful agreed follow-ups to Jacoby. Surprisingly many hands (not that Jacoby happens often) would like to know of shortage in either hand, and whether that is singleton or void is crucial when ace asking. Certainly an area for regular partnerships to look at once they have the more frequent bids buttoned up.

#14 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-December-24, 06:31

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#15 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-December-24, 06:32

View PostfromageGB, on 2015-December-24, 06:20, said:

Good point - if Jacoby guarantees 4 card support then opener without the Q but having 6 cards can pretend he has the Q, on the 10 card fit. Start with Jacoby whatever your methods.

Splinter is just as good if it shows 4.

We don't play Jacoby (2N is good 4+ card raise to 3 or better, immediate splinter is void), our auction would be 1-2N-4(showing a 6th heart and a min)-4(keycard) and now there is no need to show the absent Q as 6 cards have already been shown.

#16 User is offline   all loomis 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-December-30, 16:24

View Posttendol, on 2015-December-23, 16:36, said:

South has opened 1 Heart.
West passes.
How should north bid this hand? East west are passing throughout.

North Holds
Spade J
Heart K T 5 3
D A K Q 9
C K Q 6 2

Should N bid, 4NT or Jacoby 2 NT, or Splinter 3 Spades?

Also, how should the bidding proceed, if south holds

Spade 9 7 3
H A Q 9 7 6 2
D 4
C A J 4

Thanks

1st: this is a system problem. in mine, 3c is a suit with h support, gf.

2nd: also a matter of system. in mine, 4d is single, at least 5 h's, 2+ key cards.

how easy this is, if you organize your bidding.

#17 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-January-01, 13:33

While North has a hand some might find too big for a splinter, I would splinter here without hesitation.
1 - (P) - 3 - (P)
When opener control bids clubs they confirm no wastage in spades. Now RKB gets us what we need to know.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users