BBO Discussion Forums: Stayman - answer with both majors - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stayman - answer with both majors

#21 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-November-18, 11:52

View Postjfnrl, on 2015-November-18, 11:11, said:

In my opinion, the main minus of stayman 3 responses is that slam auctions are more complicated.

Playing stayman 4 responses, if the auction begins :
1NT 2C
2H 3D

The responder may look for a stopper in C (plausible contracts are 3NT, 4M -fit 4-3, 5D); he may also show a strong hand with or without fit (plausible contracts 4H, 5D, slam in D/H).
It seems me very complicated if he must keep in mind that the opener may have 4S.

That may have been a problem in the bad old days when people didn't play 4-way transfers and this was the only way to start a slam try in diamonds. Nowadays I expect responder has guaranteed 4 spades on this auction and he doesn't have to worry all the time because opener knows for sure whether they have a spade fit or not.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#22 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-18, 11:59

View Postjfnrl, on 2015-November-18, 11:11, said:

In my opinion, the main minus of stayman 3 responses is that slam auctions are more complicated.

In my opinion, the main minus of stayman 3 responses is that you get to play in 3M opposite a minimum with a fit. Which may make. It may be odds on to make. But will fail on occasion, losing out to those who could buy it a level lower.
If you give up on garbage hands, so that stayman absolutely promises (at least) a game try, then you have not just 2N but the whole of the 3 level to play with, on maximum hands. This not only allows you to play at the 2 level with an invite opposite a minimum, but the distinction is also of value when responder has a slam try (which may be part of the point that jfnrl was making).Whether that makes it worthwhile giving up on garbage is a matter of opinion. May depend on the strength of the 1N. Of course you may go down another road and give up on Stayman entirely.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users