• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge in the air Playing without internet

#1 User is offline   JustTosh 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-06, 09:30

Hi.

In a couple of weeks I'll travel by air with a few friends. Four of us are bridgeplayers. There's no internet connection on the flight we'll be on. Playing with real cards is close to impossible, we might not even be seated next to eachother.

Is there a way to play bridge with our tablets or phones, as we would on BBO, but using some other connection, i.e. bluetooth?

It would certainly shorten the the flight time.

Any suggestions?

Ta,
Tom

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-January-06, 16:05

View PostJustTosh, on 2016-January-06, 09:30, said:

Hi. In a couple of weeks I'll travel by air with a few friends. Four of us are bridgeplayers. There's no internet connection on the flight we'll be on. Playing with real cards is close to impossible, we might not even be seated next to eachother.
Is there a way to play bridge with our tablets or phones, as we would on BBO, but using some other connection, i.e. bluetooth?
It would certainly shorten the the flight time.
Any suggestions?
Intriguing problem, Tom :) Here is a first attempt, At the risk of irritating/amusing other passengers you could try this clumsy protocol
  • Use 4 copies of pre-dealt hands A separate page for each hand and compass-position. Bound into A7 booklets or displayed on a laptop/tablet (without internet connection).
  • You look at your hand during the auction, also dummy during the play.
  • Make a bid by waving a bidding card from your bidding box above your head. Write down the auction as it proceeds and if necessary pass the completed auction round.
  • Play a card by waving a bidding box card above your head, using improvised cards, where necessary. Write down/cross-off played cards.
  • If you don't like the bidding box idea, you could talk loudly or adopt annoying coughs, instead.
  • Be generous about claims.

Surely somebody can improve on this horrible kludge :)

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-06, 23:09

Your in-flight games might have the option to play bridge; if not, there will probably be other multi-player games like backgammon or trivia quizzes.

You could bring some bid-em-ups. These you could pass to your partner from time to time.

Or you could just watch a movie and then get a few hours' sleep.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-07, 05:53

With Jack you can do this (designating one of your laptops as the server) but I suppose that requires seperate Jack licenses for each of your laptops. That will be an expensive flight, then. But maybe there is a cheaper (or free) product that has similar functionality?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2016-January-07, 14:45

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-January-07, 05:53, said:

With Jack you can do this (designating one of your laptops as the server) but I suppose that requires seperate Jack licenses for each of your laptops. That will be an expensive flight, then. But maybe there is a cheaper (or free) product that has similar functionality?

What would you use to connect them together?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-January-07, 17:16

wifi?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2016-January-07, 17:57

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-January-07, 17:16, said:

wifi?

I thought the original poster had ruled that out, but perhaps not.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-January-07, 19:40

View Postgnasher, on 2016-January-07, 17:57, said:

There are some planes with WIFI, but I think that it is still very expensive. On the great majority of airplanes, devices must be put on airplane mode, and there is no network available.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-January-08, 01:20

View Postgnasher, on 2016-January-07, 17:57, said:

There is no internet but if bluetooth is allowed I don't see why you can't use wifi as well.

Btw wbridge5 can do it also. You have to install "bridge moniteur" instead of the normal wbridge5.exe which has the advantage that it runs on non-microsoft platforms as well but the possible disadvantage that all doc is in French.

Wbridge5 is free.

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2016-January-08, 06:39

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-January-08, 01:20, said:

There is no internet but if bluetooth is allowed I don't see why you can't use wifi as well.

Btw wbridge5 can do it also. You have to install "bridge moniteur" instead of the normal wbridge5.exe which has the advantage that it runs on non-microsoft platforms as well but the possible disadvantage that all doc is in French.

Wbridge5 is free.

Don't you also need to turn one of your devices into a router? Or are you going to use some peer-to-peer method?

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-January-08, 07:25

I don't know the technicalities. On Ubuntu I just select "create wireless network" in the network menu and that's it. It might be more complicated on other platforms.

There is a similar function "create private hotspot" on Android but I have no idea if the wbridge5 server would run on android. Haven't tried it on any other platforms either, lol.

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-January-08, 07:29

View PostVampyr, on 2016-January-07, 19:40, said:

There are some planes with WIFI, but I think that it is still very expensive. On the great majority of airplanes, devices must be put on airplane mode, and there is no network available.

But we are not talking about a wifi that is connected to the internet. The four players would make their own intranet without any outwards connections.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-08, 09:09

View Postgnasher, on 2016-January-08, 06:39, said:

Don't you also need to turn one of your devices into a router? Or are you going to use some peer-to-peer method?

It could use ad hoc peer-to-perr networking, similar to the way AirPlay works on iOS devices.

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2016-January-08, 19:04

Perhaps just take a good book?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users