• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The HandyDup The HandyDup is in principle a Duplimate

#1 User is offline   tino_pkc 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-09, 15:29

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am new to this forum and apologize in advance if I missed the topic.
I am curious whether anyone has the HandyDup - Duplimate - where the same might buy and at what price.

thanks in advance

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-09, 15:52

View Posttino_pkc, on 2012-January-09, 15:29, said:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am new to this forum and apologize in advance if I missed the topic.
I am curious whether anyone has the HandyDup - Duplimate - where the same might buy and at what price.

thanks in advance

This is the one that doesn't put the cards in the boards, right? Seems way too time-consuming.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-January-10, 03:41

I've seen it demonstrated. You put the cards into the machine (unsorted), and four LEDs tell you where to put each card. As you'd expect, it's better than duplicating boards by hand, but not as good as using a dealing machine.

It's made and sold by Jannersten, who also make the Duplimate dealing machines that are used all over the world. I expect they can tell you who your local distributor is.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 11:04

I took a look (as they were advertised heavily in Seattle). I was interested (you know, for one game a week, or specials).

There's a video on the Jannersten site, which is really helpful to explain.

They take 80 seconds to deal and store a board, which I bet could be improved, but probably to no less than 60 seconds. The real dealers are working about 6-10 seconds.
They seem to need the barcode cards, which the new "real" dealers don't.
They're handed - if you're left-handed, and deal that way, you're SOL. I can't imagine how long or how neatly I could use it, simply because of that fact.

One advantage they do have (which I'm sure the dealers have as well, but I've never seen it, because "why do it?") is that they can "read" hand-dealt boards and make hand records on the fly. And without the "human judgement call", it would be almost as fast as dealing the board to read them.

But they're cheap - 10% of the price of a real dealer.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-January-11, 00:07

Yes, the dealer machines can also read a human-dealt deck and create a hand record from it. Our club has done this a few times when for whatever reason a set of boards unexpectedly had to be shuffled manually rather than used as predealt. The director put the cards through the machine again to create hand records since the players were accustomed to seeing hand records made available on the web after each game.

#6 User is offline   nickf 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2012-January-12, 19:37

I've tried this gadget - I was sent a sample by the manufacturer.

It's OK, certainly requires a fair degree of hand-eye co-ordination to use quickly and efficiently but its not a good substitute for a proper dealing machine for a club. It might be 10% of the price but a dealing machine is way more than 10 times a better investment.

nickf
sydney

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-12, 20:12

View Postnickf, on 2012-January-12, 19:37, said:

It's OK, certainly requires a fair degree of hand-eye co-ordination to use quickly and efficiently but its not a good substitute for a proper dealing machine for a club. It might be 10% of the price but a dealing machine is way more than 10 times a better investment.

Also if you live in a place where many clubs lack a machine, say the USA, you can recoup some of your investment by duplicating boards for other clubs for say, $10/time (maybe more). Don't worry, the other clubs will use you -- once players get used to getting a hand record at the end of the evening, they have little patience for games that don't offer one.

However, it is worth noting that if you don't have the right sort of boards, you will have to buy then in order to use the dealing machine.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-13, 09:16

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-12, 20:12, said:

However, it is worth noting that if you don't have the right sort of boards, you will have to buy then in order to use the dealing machine.

I don't think so. You need the right board if you want the machine to put the cards into the boards automatically, but I think most of the machines can be used with ordinary boards. You just have to transfer the cards by hand from the machine to the board after it deals them. It's a little more work, but not enough to ruin the value of the machine.

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-13, 11:00

View Postbarmar, on 2012-January-13, 09:16, said:

I don't think so. You need the right board if you want the machine to put the cards into the boards automatically, but I think most of the machines can be used with ordinary boards. You just have to transfer the cards by hand from the machine to the board after it deals them. It's a little more work, but not enough to ruin the value of the machine.

That seems at first like a fairly time-consuming extra step, but after all it doesn't take zero time to open and close the "right" sort of boards.

#10 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-13, 13:52

When I was playing in Sweden, all bridge clubs used the wallet type of bridge boards. (They take less room to store and barometers -where you need tons of duplicated boards- are VERY popular in Sweden.) As I understood, they just put a "mask", resembling a proper board but open on the side towards the operator, in the machine. When the machine finished dealing they could easily take the cards out of the slots in the mask and press the button for the next deal. While the machine was dealing they would put the cards in the wallet. From what I could tell, it went just as fast as with proper boards for duplicating machines.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#11 User is offline   BoTink 

• Pip

Posted 2012-February-14, 14:55

If you have not purchased one yet, I know that Baron Barclay sells them in the U.S.

#12 User is offline   bill1157 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-26, 19:02

I noticed that the handydup can work with un-barcoded cards, if they are arranged Ato2. Could the same be done with an android app?

it opens a pbn file then shows where the first 4 cards go, then you hit a button, it shows where the next 4 go etc.

#13 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-27, 11:03

It should be fairly simple to write out a nicely-spaced template for all 52 cards:

N E E W
W S N N

for sorted cards, and display it on a tablet or the like. It might even be an option for some dealer software. Now if we could only get an autosorter...

But I don't see the difference between that and hand-dealing the hand record from a sorted deck (my party trick) - in fact it's exactly what you're doing. If you're the sort that would be concerned about playing the hands having seen the hand records, you'd be capable of constructing the hand from the template (first you'd "auto-see" where (1,1), (4,2), (7,3), (10,4) are, then you'd remember long runs of cards in one hand, then...), so we're not really ahead.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-December-28, 04:31

View Postmycroft, on 2013-December-27, 11:03, said:

But I don't see the difference between that and hand-dealing the hand record from a sorted deck (my party trick) - in fact it's exactly what you're doing.

Yes, this takes very little time; it is the sorting that takes time.

#15 User is offline   bill1157 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 12:16

View Postmycroft, on 2013-December-27, 11:03, said:

But I don't see the difference between that and hand-dealing the hand record from a sorted deck (my party trick) - in fact it's exactly what you're doing.

The difference is: I want to play the deals I duplicate, so anything that makes it harder for me to visualize the hands is a plus. and I want to avoid paying $400 for a handydup.
If further encryption is needed, perhaps the program could generate 6 piles and re-integrate 4 of them into 2 at the end...

#16 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 12:23

If you really want to be sure no one knows what cards are where, there's a description of a two-stage process here: http://cimms.ou.edu/~lakshman/predeal/

#17 User is offline   bill1157 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-22, 12:41

Yes, that is what I am trying to do. Now if you can get that program on an android...

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-January-22, 13:01

It might be easiest just to ask a local club with a duplicating machine how much they would charge to do a set of boards for you.

#19 User is offline   bill1157 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-23, 07:38

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-22, 13:01, said:

It might be easiest just to ask a local club with a duplicating machine how much they would charge to do a set of boards for you.

Yes, but easiest is just to get the hand record, duplicate the boards, wait a week and then use them. I don't remember them that long unless I have played them anyway. But, of course it is technically better to have not seen the deals before playing them!

#20 User is offline   lizanne98 

• Pip

Posted 2014-May-13, 05:16

I run several small duplicate games and was offering my players hand records and sorting the cards by hand. It took me about 3 hours per set of boards. I could not afford the larger duplicating machines, so was thrilled when I saw this affordable one available on Baron-Barclay in the US. I purchased one and the cards to go with it. However, since I run three or four different games a week, I needed more than one set of boards. The cards are expensive and replacing them is a definite expense. Also, I have good days and bad for the machine to work. Sometimes I have to pull the same board through three or four times. However, it still saves me time. When working well (either me or the machine -- am not sure who is causing the problem), I can do all 36 boards in a little over one hour.

To summarize -- I like this frustrating little machine even though the cards are expensive and there are times I feel like throwing it against the wall. But wish I had access to one of the larger machines so that I did not have to experience the frustrations that come when that darn red light comes on repeatedly on the same board.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users