BBO Discussion Forums: Generic 'expert standard' question - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Generic 'expert standard' question

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-10, 17:35

Given RHO opens 1m, and you hold 54(nn), with a decent 11 count and both majors playable, is expert standard to bid 1M, or X? Or does it depend on your other minor holding/the major you hold/other stuff?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-10, 18:27

Jinksy, on 2015-October-10, 17:35, said:

Given RHO opens 1m, and you hold 54(nn), with a decent 11 count and both majors playable, is expert standard to bid 1M, or X? Or does it depend on your other minor holding/the major you hold/other stuff?

My tendency is to bid 1 if that's my five-card suit. With 4-5, it depends on suit quality and minor suit shape.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-October-10, 20:36

minors really irrelevant unless your 5 really bad and have 3+ of other minor then X becomes a possibility,
1 is common as leaves you with rebid.
With 5 double more likely as you have no rebid but still 1 preferred, rebids aren't as important for overcalls as openings.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-10, 22:46

I've noticed that (at least among the experts in Australia/Asia) older players lean towards doubling more often, while younger players lean towards bidding.

Obviously there are a lot of influencing factors, such as support for the other minor, suit quality, vulnerability etc etc.

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-11, 02:38

I would normally bid 1S unless I had 5 bad spades and 3 of the other minor. For hearts I'd be prepared to X on 22 minors. My bidding is a long way from expert standard though :-)

ahydra

#6 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-13, 03:10

Bidding the 5 carder is certainly the norm.
You have the cue available to show both and a 54 shape,
if you cannot decide.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-13, 03:31

Double with (54)(31) if the singleton is RHO's suit and the five card suit is not great. Especially if my suit is hearts.

In some partnerships it is systemic to make a cuebid with 5-4. I think this is a good agreement against a potentially short 1.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-13, 09:50

I generally much prefer to overcall unless the suit is bad, in which case I am happy to treat it as only having 4 cards. Not sure if I would qualify as young under Wesley's definition though...
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-13, 10:23

My "Expert standard" is that you can do either, overcall or double, and it depends on a few factors.

Some of the deciding factors are (in no particular order):
  • The relative strength of the five card suit (strong -> overcall; weak -> double)
  • The distribution in the minors (long in opponents' minor -> overcall; short -> double)
  • The overall strength of the hand (strong: close to double and bid suit -> double; weak -> overcall)
  • Lead directing value (if you want to direct a lead in the five card suit-> overcall; if you don't -> double)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users