Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

stuff happened

#1 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-09, 12:23

r/w 4th seat, no form of scoring so feel free to specify what you would do at either if you care

(p) 1H (3S) ?

Axx x Jxx AJTxxx
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-09, 12:53

How annoying. I guess I will try 3NT, any scoring. Chances to isolate the spades seem pretty good. Maybe I go for a number, but I won't be scared off with this much opposite partner's opener.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-September-09, 13:01

Double.

3N may well work if RHO has no entry but even so we need to be able to establish and run the clubs, and our entry is likely to be knocked out at trick one.

If we double, several good things may happen: partner may be able to bid 3N. Partner may be able to bid a playable 4. Partner may be able to pass, and if so then we are going to do pretty well, I think, on defence. Partner may be able to bid clubs...if so then we may have and be able to reach a slam, and surely 5 will be at least as good as 3N on most (not all) layouts?

He may bid diamonds. We pass 4 and hope both that we make it and that we have no game...or we go big and bid game. However, I would pass....if partner has what we need for 5 he may be able to bid it himself.

I am not bidding 4. That is too many eggs in one small basket.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-09, 14:51

View Postmikeh, on 2015-September-09, 13:01, said:

Double.

3N may well work if RHO has no entry but even so we need to be able to establish and run the clubs, and our entry is likely to be knocked out at trick one.

If we double, several good things may happen: partner may be able to bid 3N. Partner may be able to bid a playable 4. Partner may be able to pass, and if so then we are going to do pretty well, I think, on defence. Partner may be able to bid clubs...if so then we may have and be able to reach a slam, and surely 5 will be at least as good as 3N on most (not all) layouts?

He may bid diamonds. We pass 4 and hope both that we make it and that we have no game...or we go big and bid game. However, I would pass....if partner has what we need for 5 he may be able to bid it himself.

I am not bidding 4. That is too many eggs in one small basket.

Hmmm interesting, I did not like double because:

1. The idea of partner bidding 3NT seems optimistic.
2. As for bidding 4, he can still do that over 3N.
3. At unfavorable he can hardly ever pass.
4. Yes, if he bids 4 we have gained compared to 3NT, but if he bids 4 we have lost - and which is more likely?

I assume I am misunderstanding something here.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-09, 16:56

3nt

I say this w/o a great deal of enthusiasm since I think it will be right more often than x but not by much. The only real problem I have with x is how do i feel about 4d. After x i am feeling trapped but 4d after I bid 3n is a source of joy. 3N will not keep p from bidding 4h if their suit is self sufficient. It is highly unlikely we want to defend this hand at these colors so the possible conversion to penalty is also a negative for x. The problem with 4 clubs is there are only a small number of hands where they will make and 3n has no play.
I do not want to get into 5c since it is pretty much a mastermind even if it works.

3n = 7 x = 6 4c = 4

#6 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-09, 17:54

I'd bid 3n. Double seems really weird to me when we don't really want to hear 4 of either red suit (if 4 is right partner may well bid it over 3n anyway), and the chances of a pass seem remote.

#7 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-September-09, 23:24

Hmmm, for me it was a choice between 3NT and pass. Double didn't occur to me, since the most likely calls are 4H and 4D, neither of which appeals. 3NT is hoping we can isolate the spades and hopefully make something of the clubs with a few off the top elsewhere.

But if partner has a hand where that is doable, he might well reopen with a double anyway, and then we can bid 3NT or 5C (or?) without feeling like we've overbid.

#8 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-09, 23:44

3NT for me.

Axx rates to be an excellent stopper given that the preemptor's outside entry will often be in a red suit, covered by partner's honours.

#9 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-September-10, 03:24

Dbl

#10 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 05:05

I'd bid 3 NT since it seems to be the best chance at finding game.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 08:04

DBL
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 08:34

3nt in a flash. When I am boxed into doing something risky I want a decent return when it works and playing in 4 on a moyse (or anything else likely after a double) doesn't cut it.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#13 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 11:23

I also bid 3N

I don't think it's much of a play problem, but W leads ST. E overtakes with the J and continues K.

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 12:30

I can't make this unless west has the King and maybe the A as well.

So a heart to the Queen and then Ace and the club Queen. If the King is offside 3 times I need to duck twice and that's when I need the Ace on as well, o/w I have my 9. East is likely to have 1 of the key honors and if they have the K instead of a minor suit 1 I should escape for -5 and will sing (again) brother down by Sam Roberts.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 15:39

It's kind of an interesting hand: if the K is on, we only need one of the red suit finesses, but unfortunately we have to guess right now which one to take in that case. So I also start with a heart to the Q.

But if the Q holds, I think we should not cash the ace. It's only necessary if righty has both the K and A (pretty much impossible) and it loses if lefty has both of those and the hearts are Kxx-Jxx.

#16 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 15:43

Sorry, I shouldn't have said it wasn't interesting. I spent a lot of time trying to decide which red suit finesse to take at T3. In reality the CK is off, RHO has the DA and you're off a bunch.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users