BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#7821 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-November-02, 15:34

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-November-02, 08:37, said:

And fraud too, right? I mean if any of us applied for credit and listed our net worth as (some scaled down version of) $30mil one month and $2.6mil the next, as Gates did, or $42mil (March), $136mil (May), $28mil (August) and $63mil (also August) as described by Manafort, we would surely be taken to court over it. Manafort's lawyer seemed to argue that the differences could be explained by fluctuating valuations of assets - over $100mil? Really?
Yeah, right!

And yet this seems to have been standard operating practice for these guys and would surely not even have attracted any attention at all but for the special investigation. Surely this is precisely the sort of activity that "draining the swamp" is supposed to stop?! Perhaps what has happened is that we lost a swamp and gained a sea of quicksand, into which the administration will slowly sink.

"And fraud too, right? I mean if any of us applied for credit and listed our net worth as (some scaled down version of) $30mil one month and $2.6mil the next, as Gates did, or $42mil (March), $136mil (May), $28mil (August) and $63mil (also August) as described by Manafort, we would surely be taken to court over it"

Yes. at a lunacy hearing to commit me to an asylum. Along with anyone who would believe it.

But yes, I understand your point.

Fluctuating assets? Legal shenanigans produce strange events. One of my favorites: A local guy was accused of being a drug kingpin and part of the evidence was huge unexplained amounts of cash in his possession. So he explained it. He obtained the cash robbing banks. If the fluctuating assets story doesn't fly maybe he could try the bank maneuver. Or there is always the "I won/lost it in a crap game".

We have to find a little dark humor in this or we will all go nuts.
Ken

#7822 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-02, 18:18

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-November-02, 15:08, said:

That extra $3 trillion (quantitative easing) is what kept you and me from reliving the Great Depression after the housing bubble burst and Lehman Brothers died.

Inflating the next "bubble" maybe? Banks and the Market. Until the next bail-in, when you can say goodbye to a chunk of your assets without having to wait for your taxes to pay for the socialization of the financiers losses.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#7823 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-02, 18:36

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-November-02, 13:09, said:

Now we have Democrat Donna Brazile in her new book giving credence to the claim that the Democratic nominating process was rigged.

https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartandhp

Sad!! I guess it was much too important than to let the nominating process be democratically conducted and let the people decide.

Bernie is a cisgender straight white male, isn't he?
DNC have no use for them in their IT department (https://www.snopes.c...nc-white-males/), so why would they want one as a candidate?
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#7824 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-November-02, 19:56

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-November-02, 15:05, said:

If you think the Republican party would have rolled over and allowed an independent to win their nomination I think you are kidding yourself.

There are many, many people who would say that President Trump isn't truly a Republican. But against all odds, he ran and defeated many other Republican contenders in a field of 16. He just hit a populist chord that resonated with Republicans and won the nomination. It was messy process getting to a single candidate, but I don't hear anyone suggest it wasn't done democratically.

In a way, Bernie Sanders hit a similar chord with many progressives. But, of course, with a fixed result, he never stood a chance.

I just think it's delicious that the folks who scream about the end of democracy with Trump rigged the system.

Just think, if it had been a fair system, Bernie might have been selected and beaten Trump. "Hoisted by one's own petard" comes to mind.

#7825 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-November-02, 20:24

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-November-02, 19:56, said:

There are many, many people who would say that President Trump isn't truly a Republican. But against all odds, he ran and defeated many other Republican contenders in a field of 16. He just hit a populist chord that resonated with Republicans and won the nomination. It was messy process getting to a single candidate, but I don't hear anyone suggest it wasn't done democratically.

In a way, Bernie Sanders hit a similar chord with many progressives. But, of course, with a fixed result, he never stood a chance.

I just think it's delicious that the folks who scream about the end of democracy with Trump rigged the system.

Just think, if it had been a fair system, Bernie might have been selected and beaten Trump. "Hoisted by one's own petard" comes to mind.

Regardless of your view, you can't deny that Trump ran as a Republican and Sanders ran as an independent.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7826 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-02, 22:15

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-November-02, 20:24, said:

Regardless of your view, you can't deny that Trump ran as a Republican and Sanders ran as an independent.

What on earth are you smoking? Sanders may have been an independent but he ran for the Presidential nomination as a Democrat. Much like Trump, who is a populist, ran as a Republican.

#7827 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-03, 08:28

Fact Check: 1)Trump is a registered Republican. 2)There is no "populist" party.3)Sanders is registered as an independent.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7828 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-03, 09:21

http://www.businessi...sanders-2017-11

Very well said. It is long overdue for the DNC to conduct a post-mortem of the 2016 Democratic primary process and clean up its glass house.

#7829 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-03, 09:36

Elizabeth Warren sums up perfectly my sentiments concerning the Democratic nomination process for the 2016 election:

"If the fight had been fair, one campaign would not have control of the party before the voters had decided which one they wanted to lead," Brazile added. "This was not a criminal act, but as I saw it, it compromised the party's integrity."

#7830 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-November-03, 12:03

And here are some comments from Rep. Tulsi Gabard (D-HI) also.

https://www.realclea...etaliation.html

#7831 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-November-03, 14:35

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-November-03, 09:36, said:

Elizabeth Warren sums up perfectly my sentiments concerning the Democratic nomination process for the 2016 election:

Here's another view http://talkingpoints...-serving-claims
Alderaan delenda est

#7832 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-03, 14:55

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-November-03, 08:28, said:

Fact Check: 1)Trump is a registered Republican. 2)There is no "populist" party.3)Sanders is registered as an independent.

Fact Check: Sanders ran in the Democratic primaries, not the Independent primaries. Trump is registered as a Republican this time around, he basically hijacked the Republican party. Ask Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, etc. Or rather, Trump conducted a "hostile takeover", he went directly to the "shareholders", i.e., the Republican party grassroots.

#7833 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-03, 15:35

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-November-03, 12:03, said:

And here are some comments from Rep. Tulsi Gabard (D-HI) also.

https://www.realclea...etaliation.html

I agree 100% with those sentiments.

#7834 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-03, 15:37

Fact check: 1) There is no "independents" primary. 2) Trump is a registered Republican.

#7835 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-03, 17:36

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-November-03, 15:37, said:

Fact check: 1) There is no "independents" primary. 2) Trump is a registered Republican.

Fact check: Sanders ran under the Democratic banner, so by definition he was a Democratic candidate. Trump was a registered Democrat before he was a registered Republican. During the primaries the Republican establishment did what they could to defeat Trump without alienating the Republican base. Trump does not adhere to Republican orthodoxy, he seems to be a populist. If the Democrats are willing to make the kind of deal that he wants he has no problem working with them, particularly since the Republican congress cannot seem to deliver.

#7836 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-03, 18:46

Third Fact check: 1) Bernie Sanders is an independent. 2) Donald Trump is a registered Republican.

All else is spin.

#7837 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-03, 19:13

Where is the president?

In Colorado, a white man, it is now being reported, who lived with 10 bibles and who would not talk to his hispanic neighbors but would talk to other white neighbors walked into a WalMart, pulled out a pistol, and executed 3 strangers who were standing in line to pay for their purchases.

Another mass shooting by a white guy.

#7838 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-03, 20:58

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-November-03, 19:13, said:

Where is the president?

In Colorado, a white man, it is now being reported, who lived with 10 bibles and who would not talk to his hispanic neighbors but would talk to other white neighbors walked into a WalMart, pulled out a pistol, and executed 3 strangers who were standing in line to pay for their purchases.

Another mass shooting by a white guy.

From CNN:
(CNN)Chicago marked 2016 as the deadliest year in nearly two decades, data released by the Chicago Police Department shows.
500 homicides. 9 months. 1 American city.
500 homicides. 9 months. 1 American city.
The city saw a surge in gun violence in 2016: 762 murders, 3,550 shooting incidents, and 4,331 shooting victims, according to a statement released by the department on Sunday.

There were 480 murders in 2015, the most in the city since 1997.

From http://www.intellect...erers-are-black

Chicago: 75% of Murdered Are Black, 71% of Murderers Are Black

Talk about mass shooting.

#7839 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-03, 21:09

THORNTON, Colo. (AP) — Authorities have identified the three people who were fatally shot at a Walmart in suburban Denver. Coroner Monica Broncucia-Jordan said Thursday that 52-year-old Pamela Marques, 66-year-old Carlos Moreno, and 26-year-old Victor Vasquez died in Wednesday night’s shooting. Moreno was a grandfather who was a longtime maintenance worker at the Auraria Higher Education Center.

#7840 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-03, 21:30

Here is a quote from the Steele dossier:

“July 2016: Trump advisor Carter Page holds secret meetings in Moscow with Sechin and senior Kremlin Internal Affairs official, Divyekin.”

Here is what the New York Times reported today:

Carter Page, a foreign policy adviser to the Trump presidential campaign, met Russian government officials during a July 2016 trip he took to Moscow, according to testimony he gave on Thursday to the House Intelligence Committee.

Doesn't look like Steele is such fake news anymore.

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

32 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Facebook