BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 803 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#16041 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted Today, 14:12

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-August-05, 05:33, said:

Essential viewing (in full) for all US voters and anyone with an interest in American politics.

It makes for difficult viewing. My mind often kept going back to thoughts like "him? really? President?? how???". His lack of even basic understanding of the situation is mindboggling.

I remember when W. was President and everyone used to ridicule his abilities. Trump's incoherence makes W. look like a smart/savvy guy in comparison.

#16042 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted Today, 15:53

View Postshyams, on 2020-August-05, 14:12, said:

It makes for difficult viewing. My mind often kept going back to thoughts like "him? really? President?? how???". His lack of even basic understanding of the situation is mindboggling.

I remember when W. was President and everyone used to ridicule his abilities. Trump's incoherence makes W. look like a smart/savvy guy in comparison.

There is an old test for candidates that sounds silly but actually seems to work more often than not. I watched some of the 2000 election campaign, particularly the debates. Al Gore came across to me as intensely unlikable. The sort of guy that thinks he is always the smartest in the room and that everyone around him is inferior. In short, an arrogant pr!ck. W on the other hand may not have been an intellectual but at least he was personable and displayed some minimal ability to connect with people. So the test is "Who would I rather go drinking with?" and in that election W was, for me, the clear winner in that category. So it was not a huge surprise when he won despite Gore being widely seen as the stronger candidate.

2016 has some similarities. Hillary also came across as unlikable and unapproachable, not as badly as Gore but still not great. And she was a politician, near enough the most disliked category of person, up against a reality TV star. Now for me Trump also came across as completely unable to connect with people and add to that his racism and misogyny and, well, Hillary is winning by a nose. But I could equally understand why people chose Trump 4 years ago and even wrote here in the WC about how easy it would be for Trump to win.

In 2020 I feel things are different. Whereas 4 years ago it was possible to convince oneself that the racism and misogyny might be overblown by the media, now it is surely not for all but the most ostrich-like Americans. Add to that that the experiment is costing American lives and it seem impossible that enough moderates will still be willing to say "I would rather go for a drink with Donald". You may think that such a question is a crazy way of electing a leader for a country like the USA. But, in those now immortal words, it is what it is. In this case though "it" is democracy rather than >150000 American corpses.
(-: Zel :-)

half-wit -- Chas_P the racist

Share this topic:

• 803 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Facebook,
  3. akwoo,