BBO Discussion Forums: Is this a qualified Cappelletti overcall? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this a qualified Cappelletti overcall?

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-04, 23:01

Gib W overcalls 2 with 4-6 in and ,is this a qualified Cappelletti overcall?

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 01:34

View Postlycier, on 2015-May-04, 23:01, said:

Gib W overcalls 2 with 4-6 in and ,is this a qualified Cappelletti overcall?

I believe so- the description is a bit wonky but they don't have a means to say usually 4 with longer minor so you need to bid 2NT to get the minor suit.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 02:31

This has come up a few times.

I think it is better to treat a 6-4 hand as one-suited. Particularly when you play a free-wheeling Cappelletti in which the longer suit is left in doubt (which for some including me is a separate gripe, but I have to accept that this in not a universal view).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 03:31

pleeeeeez scrap Crappellety from the GIB system. I suppose it could be argued that it is slightly better than natural if played correctly, but it is apparently too much of a hassle to implement it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 03:39

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-May-05, 03:31, said:

pleeeeeez scrap Crappellety from the GIB system. I suppose it could be argued that it is slightly better than natural if played correctly, but it is apparently too much of a hassle to implement it.

100% agree with your point of view,very glad.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 05:56

I agree with Helene.

In my very personal opinion, Capp is not close to being an optimal defensive convention even when applied correctly.

The problems for the programmers are that
1) despite the above it is probably the most popular defence of choice of the masses, by a country mile, and
2) having programmed it this far, it would probably be easier to tweak the programming to get it to play Capp better, than it would be to ditch Capp, especially in favour of some other conventional structure.

If I had a vote for any conventional defence, and having regard to the problems of getting GIB to cope with anything complicated, then I would go with simple Landy:

Everything natural except:
2C by non-passed hand to show both majors (and 2D response to show no pref)
X by passed hand to show both majors (and 2C response to show no pref) - can live without that and just have 2C to show both majors regardless
Optional: 2N to show some sort of powerful but unspecified-suiter unsuitable for defending (can live without that)

This may not be as good as Capp when used correctly (not convinced of that), but is a heck of a lot simpler, should be less vulnerable to GIB flakeyness, and is also reasonably popular among users outside of GIB context.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding Theory

Posted 2017-September-03, 04:00

The simple answer is, no its not a qualified Cappelletti bid. 2C is the right bid showing the long suit.

#8 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-03, 10:18

i don't really like it but it does cause problems for the opps as well as the responder but
I have noticed that it does seem to work most of the time in the robot environment

Just like with better values you can bid 2 with 4-4 in Majors the main problem I see
is the robots always want to go to the three level.....defense to NT should be geared more for
bidding partials (interference) over trying to get to game.

#9 User is offline   Bermy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding Theory

Posted 2017-September-04, 18:35

Cappelletti is a defensive bidding convention particularly recommended for use against a weak 1NT opening (12-14 HCP) but can also be used against stronger 1NT openings (15-17 HCP).[3]

The High Card Points (HCP) range for Cappelletti overcalls is 9-14 points.

Its strength is that, by allowing overcaller to show a variety of two-suited hands, it maximizes the partnership's chance of finding its best fit quickly.

Over the 1NT opening, the over-calling opponent makes one of the following bids to indicate a one-suited or a two-suited hand:-

2♣ declares a one-suited hand (usually 6 or more cards, but some bid with a strong 5 card suit). Partner is expected to respond as follows:
2♦, an artificial bid ('relay'), asking partner to pass if his suit is diamonds or to bid his long suit at the lowest level.
very exceptionally, If Advancer has a good 6 card MAJOR suit of his own, then bid 2 of that major in place of the conventional relay bid. (You are over-ruling your partner!).
2♦ declares both major suits (with a holding of at least 5-4 or 4-5). Partner corrects to his longest major, bidding at the lowest level.
2♥ (or 2♠) declares hearts (or spades) and also an as yet undisclosed minor suit; (at least 5-4 in favour of the major suit). With a tolerance of the major suit, Partner passes. Else Partner bids 2NT inviting Intervener to bid his minor as a last stop;
2NT declares both minor suits (at least 5-4 or 4-5). Partner corrects to his longest minor, bidding at the lowest level.
With 15 or more points, a Double for penalties by Intervener is recommended instead of Cappelletti over the 1NT opening; (generally showing values equivalent to a strong 1NT opening, i.e. 15-17 or 16-18 points by partnership agreement (Wiki)

Cappelletti. As he wanted it to be played

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users