Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Drury mess-up

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-02, 01:28

I like how GIB plays Drury now, but why can't GIB bid 2 on this hand, showing 4+? I would immediately bid 2 to play, and we could be in a making contract instead of going down in 4.

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-02, 10:22

Looks to me like the most proximate cause was accepting the invite with a sub-minimum.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 14:13

TylerE, on 2015-May-02, 10:22, said:

Looks to me like the most proximate cause was accepting the invite with a sub-minimum.
This is why I frequently only show one hand when I post.

The question still is "when would North bid 2 rather than 2?"

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-03, 15:49

Looks like GIB is playing plain old non-reverse Drury. So, 2 would be a game try of some sort or possibly a non-existant bid, and 2 would show a (sub)minimum.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-May-03, 19:38

That I agree. But bb62 question remains unanswered. 2d and 2h both show more than submin, distinguished by 2h showing a heart suit. Rightly or wrongly gib judged this hand better than submin (2d). Why then conceal the hearts?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-03, 20:29

I don't think that's true. In some really oldschool drury texts, the response is always either 2d or 2opener's suit.

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-May-04, 01:18

Thing is, I have been in North's seat opposite GIB in this situation in the past, since Drury was added, and have moused over 2H. While I may not have selected the bid, it definitely shows 4+ hearts and better than min. I recall that it shows something like 13-14 total points, ie as per 2D in strength.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-May-04, 01:48

Slightly surprised not to end up in Hearts, but perhaps just as well. Both majors make 8 at D/D, and sneaking a 9th may be tougher in Hearts.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users