• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer or Stayman? 6-6 Majors

#1 User is offline   KamalK 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-31, 08:00

Hello

Have always been confused with these hands. Playing SAYC, Partner at N opened 1NT and I had 6-6 Majors. Pls advise how best to bid. I play usual transfers but not Ogust. Thank you :rolleyes:

Kamal
"If anything needs to be done *at all*, it needs to be done well"

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-31, 08:13

If you bid stayman and partner replies 2,you won't know which of the majors you want to play in. So it is better to transfer to spades and then bid 3 afterwards. Then partner will know you have both majors and he can make a choice. If he suggests 3NT you can then bid 4 (or maybe 6, depending of your strength) to tell him that he really has to chose one of the majors :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-31, 08:32

What do people play 1N-2-2-4 as ?

Any reason for this not to be pick a major ?

(I don't play smolen or 4 level transfers so we use a direct 1N-4 for this)

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-March-31, 08:41

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-March-31, 08:32, said:

What do people play 1N-2-2-4 as ?

Any reason for this not to be pick a major ?

(I don't play smolen or 4 level transfers so we use a direct 1N-4 for this)

many would play this as 6 hearts, with 4 spades.

Anyway, the OP made it clear that he was looking for a suggestion as to how to bid the holding given the constraints of his methods.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-March-31, 09:10

View Postmikeh, on 2015-March-31, 08:41, said:

many would play this as 6 hearts, with 4 spades.

OK, I didn't know this.

Anyway, the OP made it clear that he was looking for a suggestion as to how to bid the holding given the constraints of his methods.

I wasn't sure what SAYC included (or whether it detailed this bid at all) in this sort of auction so was trying to find out.

#6 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2015-March-31, 13:57

I look at these things as "what will partner do?"
11NT-2H
2S -3H
?

I'm pretty sure that in SAYC or practically anywhere you have shown at least five spades, at least five hearts and game forcing values. If this sequence doesn't show that it should.

Now if partner bids 3NT over 3H he presumably has a doubleton spade after which I will bid 4H and I would expect him to pass. His next most likely bids are 3S and 4H. Of course I pass 4H assuming that my hand is not suitable for slam. If he bids 3S we have a nine card fit and I raise to 4S.

Now if you are asking about slam tries when you are 6-6 that's another matter. Here is how I think it should go, but with a casual partnership of course it could be a problem:
After
1N-2H
2S-3H
partner can bid 3S to accept spades, and now you could make a slam try by bidding 4m. If he has a heart fit instead of a spade fit he, over 3H, could bid 4m. thus: 3S over 3H shows a spade fit and allows you to cue, 4m over 3H sets hearts as trump and shows a control.

What happens next? It depends on who holds what. No doubt there are more exotic methods but this gets trump set and shows some values. Down on the farm that's called a good day's work.
Ken

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-31, 14:04

I use 1NT-4 as "pick a major".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-March-31, 15:08

View Postkenberg, on 2015-March-31, 13:57, said:

I look at these things as "what will partner do?"
1NT-2H
2S -3H

I'm pretty sure that in SAYC or practically anywhere you have shown at least five spades, at least five hearts and game forcing values. If this sequence doesn't show that it should.

In SAYC you are right but anywhere is an overbid. I like to play this as 5-5 invitational and have done for many years. With 5-5 majors there is Vampyr's suggestion:

View PostVampyr, on 2015-March-31, 14:04, said:

I use 1NT-4 as "pick a major".

...which is very common in throughout the UK; Extended Stayman (if you can afford to give up a 3m rebid after 1NT - 2; 2); or, for me, the sequence 1NT - 2; 2 - 3 is 5-5 and game-forcing. This last has several advantages over the SAYC sequence and the structure frees up 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 to allow for a transfer rebid scheme that improves efficiency (admittedly at the cost of being able to stop in 2 with the 5-5 invite).
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-31, 15:12

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-March-31, 15:08, said:

a transfer rebid scheme that improves efficiency (admittedly at the cost of being able to stop in 2 with the 5-5 invite).

Do tell!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-March-31, 16:52

View PostVampyr, on 2015-March-31, 15:12, said:

Do tell!

I have many times! After 1NT - 2; 2,
2 = natural 2NT or clubs (optionally can also use this for a slammy one-suiter freeing up a 3 response)
2NT = 4 spades, INV
3 = 4+ diamonds
3 = 5-5 majors, GF
rest = standard

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-March-31, 17:05

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-March-31, 16:52, said:

I have many times! After 1NT - 2; 2,
2 = natural 2NT or clubs (optionally can also use this for a slammy one-suiter freeing up a 3 response)
2NT = 4 spades, INV
3 = 4+ diamonds
3 = 5-5 majors, GF
rest = standard

That is great but what about continuations (if you have posted them before I apologise; maybe you can send me a link?)

#12 User is offline   ladydoc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-01, 03:25

one nt pass 2 clubs pass 2 diamonds pass 3 hearts> 5/5 majors invitational
one nt pass 2 clubs pass 2 diamonds pass 3 spades> 5/5 majors game forcing

above system is invitational smolen. A perfect way to describe the above hand

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-01, 03:43

Uhm, OP asked how to bid in SAYC. Obviously there are umpteen notrump structures available. But only one in SAYC.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-April-01, 04:20

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-April-01, 03:43, said:

Uhm, OP asked how to bid in SAYC. Obviously there are umpteen notrump structures available. But only one in SAYC.

Except that the several SAYC booklets I looked at didn't detail what say 1N-2-2-4 means, so in fact SAYC is a structure but not a comprehensive one.

#15 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-April-01, 04:39

View PostVampyr, on 2015-March-31, 17:05, said:

That is great but what about continuations (if you have posted them before I apologise; maybe you can send me a link?)

I think I have posted more but not sure of links, so will post here. The key is the 2 rebid - the rest is simple I think. I include the strong one-suiter here which limits the options somewhat; it would be possible to do more if it was only "bal or clubs".

... - 2NT = min, 2 hearts
... - ... - 3 = 4 clubs
... - ... - 3 = 5+ clubs
... - ... - 3 = strong one-suiter
... - ... - 3NT = to play
... - ... - 3/4m = splinter
... - 3 = max, 2 hearts
... - ... - 3 = 4+ clubs
... - ... - 3 = strong one-suiter
... - ... - 3NT = to play
... - ... - 3/4m = splinter
... - 3 = max, 3+ hearts
... - 3 = min, 3+ hearts
... - 3 = 4+ diamonds, 2 hearts
... - 3 = 2-3 diamonds, 3+ hearts
... - 3 = 2-3 diamonds, 2 hearts, 5 spades
... - 3NT = 2-3 diamonds, 2 hearts, 2-4 spades
... - others = 4+ diamonds, 3+ hearts
... - 3M = 3+ suit
... - 3NT = no fit (2245 or similar)
... - others = double fit

There are probably further optimisations to be had - I whipped this part of the system up fairly quickly with what seemed logical to me, the logic being more important to me than perfection. It also fits with the logic of the rest of the system with 1NT - 2 (puppet); 2 - 2NT being invitational with 4-4 majors and 1NT - 2NT being invitational with 5 and 4. It was this switch to Puppet that prompted the search for new ideas but I think the overall scheme also translates to ordinary Stayman with appropriate adjustments elsewhere.

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-01, 05:01

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-April-01, 04:20, said:

Except that the several SAYC booklets I looked at didn't detail what say 1N-2-2-4 means, so in fact SAYC is a structure but not a comprehensive one.

It is undiscussed so either it doesn't exist or it is natural. The latter meaning is silly since 3 is forcing but w/e. It certainly doesn't show 5-5 majors since there are non-confusing ways of showing that.

SAYC is not supposed to be a comprehensive system. It is supposed to be a system you can play with a pick-up partner, limiting your system discusion to a 4-character SMS message, with a reasonably small risk of running into misunderstandings or major system gaps.

#17 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-April-01, 06:27

View PostKamalK, on 2015-March-31, 08:00, said:

Hello

Have always been confused with these hands. Playing SAYC, Partner at N opened 1NT and I had 6-6 Majors. Pls advise how best to bid. I play usual transfers but not Ogust. Thank you :rolleyes:

Kamal

I don't know what you mean about Ogust. It doesn't apply when partner opens 1NT.

As far as the choice between Stayman and Transfers is concerned, ask yourself this question - Do you need to know if partner has a 4 card major? If the answer is no, then Stayman is probably not the right solution.

It is usually the case that you want to use transfers to show long suits in response to a notrump opening bid. In this case, you have two long suits and (I assume) a game forcing hand. So you want to transfer to one suit and bid the other. With both majors, this is easy - transfer to spades then bid hearts. This is forcing (unless you have some unusual agreement to the contrary) and shows at least 5-4 in the two suits - probably at least 5-5 for most players. If partner does not choose one of your suits over 3, you will bid hearts again, forcing him to choose.

If you want to bid beyond game, you will have to be careful not to make any bid that can be passed. This can be tricky if partner has not chosen one of your two suits.

#18 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-01, 16:51

Hi all this is what I play for 55, used it on ce for a 65 but was never dealt à 66!

Weak hand with no hope of game: just transfer to S and pass, even with xxxxx QJxxx, it avoids your 2D transfer being Xed and if opps balance you can cheaply show your 2nd suit

Hand with game possibility (if pard has no wasted minor hcps): transfer to H then bid 2S if pard doesnot superaccept

Hand with GF value but no more: 4D we use for that - we do not lose the moderate slam try in H vs gf in H by direct 4H and 2D followed by 4H

Hand with slam hope if pard doesnt have an ill fitting hand: transfer to S then 4H

Hand who would be disappointed not to be in slam: transfer to S then 3H and lots of room to cue

Stayman is used (as mentionned by other posters) only if knowing pard has a 4cM is useful to you. Usually you have a 4cM (sometimes a 5M 4m 31 with invitational or almost invitational value). With a 55 hand you dont need. Even so more with 66!

#19 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2015-April-02, 02:51

If the hand warrants only a game then why not,
1NT----2heart
2S-----4heart
This I presume shows six six in majors.

#20 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-02, 02:53

View Postmsjennifer, on 2015-April-02, 02:51, said:

If the hand warrants only a game then why not,
1NT----2heart
2S-----4heart
This I presume shows six six in majors.

I would be afraid if that could be taken as a splinter (regardless of how it this sequence is defined in SAYC).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users