BBO Discussion Forums: Transfer or Stayman? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer or Stayman? 6-6 Majors

#21 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2015-April-02, 04:13

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-April-02, 02:53, said:

I would be afraid if that could be taken as a splinter (regardless of how it this sequence is defined in SAYC).

I do not think it is wise to show a singleton facing a balanced partner .Good thing you used the word "regardless".
It may work once in a thousand hands only.So better to play simple bridge.Too many gadgets
spoil many hands.

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 04:15

View Postmsjennifer, on 2015-April-02, 02:51, said:

If the hand warrants only a game then why not,
1NT----2heart
2S-----4heart
This I presume shows six six in majors.

It is a splinter for me. What do you see as the advantage of this route over 1NT - 2; 2 - 3; 3NT - 4 if not playing a direct 4 for this purpose?
(-: Zel :-)

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-April-02, 04:20

View Postmsjennifer, on 2015-April-02, 04:13, said:

I do not think it is wise to show a singleton facing a balanced partner.

A balanced hand cannot judge between KQJx and Axxx?

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 08:31

I do not think it is wise to show a singleton facing a balanced partner .Good thing you used the word "regardless".
It may work once in a thousand hands only.....

Oh dear...Making such an awful claim is one thing, assigning a statistical number to it, even when the intention was not literal, is even worse.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 08:50

It may work once in a thousand hands only.So better to play simple bridge.Too many gadgets
spoil many hands.

Actually it is very good to show a singleton opposite a balanced partner. If partner has Axxx in one suit and KJxx in another then it is great news for him to hear of a singleton opposite Axxx but not so great to hear of a singleton opposite KJxx.

But the issue was not whether 4 ought to be a splinter or whether it was a good idea to use it with a particular hand, assuming that it is a splinter. The issue was what 4 means in SAYC or maybe more to the point, how a partner who plays (or claims to play) SAYC is likely to interpret 4.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#26 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-April-02, 09:34

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-April-02, 08:50, said:

But the issue was not whether 4 ought to be a splinter or whether it was a good idea to use it with a particular hand, assuming that it is a splinter. The issue was what 4 means in SAYC or maybe more to the point, how a partner who plays (or claims to play) SAYC is likely to interpret 4.

4 may well not have been assigned a meaning in SAYC, so I think that it is safest to assume partner will interpret it as the world does; as a splinter.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#27 User is offline   InTime 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 10:18

I think that the person asking is looking for a simple method having both majors. Fancy footwork is an agreement with your partner and there is nothing wrong with it. In the old days I have learned the following: 1NT - 2; 2 - 3 = both majors at least 5-5. This was sorta the standard even if you do not play transfers. If you want to get to 4M one can use Transfers, Smolen etc. and that is fine. However, if you want to make a further move with slam interest, these systems can create a problem for responder because he may have to set the suit providing him no space to advance with slam interest.

With the above you stay low and also provide the space for responder to advance further if he wants to after opener set the suit.

If you play 1NT - 2; 2 - 3 as at least 5-5 GF then you must have incorporated Smolen into your system otherwise it can be 5-4.

Also note that I am not playing this with my expert partner (we use the 3 bid for other methods). However, if you want to make it simple without much discussion and do have 3 available, this may be one of the simple ones.
Regards

#28 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-April-02, 11:32

View PostInTime, on 2015-April-02, 10:18, said:

I think that the person asking is looking for a simple method having both majors. Fancy footwork is an agreement with your partner and there is nothing wrong with it. In the old days I have learned the following: 1NT - 2; 2 - 3 = both majors at least 5-5. This was sorta the standard even if you do not play transfers.

Seriously? Where?

If you play 1NT - 2; 2 - 3 as at least 5-5 GF then you must have incorporated Smolen into your system otherwise it can be 5-4.

Or, er, reverse Smolen.

Also note that I am not playing this with my expert partner (we use the 3 bid for other methods). However, if you want to make it simple without much discussion and do have 3 available, this may be one of the simple ones.

Not as simple as just using 3/3 responses as 5+/5+ of different strengths -- provided transfers are being played. Or a 4 response (someone also suggested 4, which is fine if you are not playing Texas). All of these methods show the hand with one bid, and don't compromise the hands with hearts and diamonds, and are unusual enough that they will be noticed and therefore remembered by partner.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#29 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-02, 11:43

In sayc there are no minor suit transfers for syrong hands and a direct 3m is nonforcing so 2c followed by 3d needs to be natural. It is the only way to show a strong hand with diamonds.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#30 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-April-02, 16:03

I think that the person asking is looking for a simple method having both majors. Fancy footwork is an agreement with your partner and there is nothing wrong with it. In the old days I have learned the following: 1NT - 2♣; 2♦ - 3♦ = both majors at least 5-5. This was sorta the standard even if you do not play transfers.

View PostVampyr, on 2015-April-02, 11:32, said:

Seriously? Where?

I was brought up with extended stayman and stayman in doubt (one as 3 the other 3 not always the same way round) although haven't played either for years. In fact it was a very normal method precisely because you didn't play transfers then so couldn't transfer to one major and bid the other.

#31 User is offline   JesseB 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 17:37

View PostKamalK, on 2015-March-31, 08:00, said:

Hello

Have always been confused with these hands. Playing SAYC, Partner at N opened 1NT and I had 6-6 Majors. Pls advise how best to bid. I play usual transfers but not Ogust. Thank you :rolleyes:

Kamal

#32 User is offline   JesseB 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 17:46

Hi, There are excellent SAYC lessons on BBO screen before you log on. They say: With less than invitational hand after partner's 1NT bid and 5/5 (can be as few as 3HCP, just transfer to your stronger major then pass. With invitational hand (8 or 9tp) transfer to hearts first then rebid 2S.
With game strength hand and 5/5 majors transfer to spades first then rebid your hearts. The strength of your hand is shown by which major you transfer to first.

#33 User is offline   jerdonald 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 22:17

BBO forum,
On the convention card under "NOTRUMP OPENING BIDS" we have:

3 clubs 5/5 minors weak
3 diamonds 5/5 minors game values
3 hearts 5/5 majors weak
3 spades 5/5 majors game values

This would also apply to 5/6 or 6/6 in majors.
With a 6 card minor we use a version of the "Four Suit Transfer".

Jerry D

#34 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-April-02, 22:38

In the old days,
1N-2H
2S-4H showed 5-6, longer hearts. For us, every day is an old day.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#35 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-03, 03:48

View Postjerdonald, on 2015-April-02, 22:17, said:

BBO forum,
On the convention card under "NOTRUMP OPENING BIDS" we have:

3 clubs 5/5 minors weak
3 diamonds 5/5 minors game values
3 hearts 5/5 majors weak

This would also apply to 5/6 or 6/6 in majors.
With a 6 card minor we use a version of the "Four Suit Transfer".

Jerry D

Are you sure that is the sayc cc? Sounds more like bbo advanced

#36 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-April-03, 19:17

View Postjerdonald, on 2015-April-02, 22:17, said:

Sounds just perfect for slam investigation - highly recommended.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users