BBO Discussion Forums: Coping With Interference To A Weak NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coping With Interference To A Weak NT

#1 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-July-06, 14:46

I'm looking for general guidance here. NT is 11-14. Let's say first hand opens 1NT, second hand bids 2H - natural.
1) Under what circumstances should responder compete with sub-invitational values at the 2 level, and at the 3 level?
2) What meanings would you apply to 2S and 3 of a suit after the 2H interference?

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-July-06, 19:06

A decent 5+ suit and about 6 or so points should be willing to compete at the 2 level. Need a better suit at the 3 level. I would suggest X for takeout and Rubensohl rather than penalty Xs and Lebensohl, but that is my taste.

You can always pick up a penalty X via a re opening X for the NT opener, and yes some posters will scream about this. We used to play this style at Matchpoints only, but the advantages were so great we now play it at IMPs as well.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-07, 05:06

Ron writes:
"A decent 5+ suit and about 6 or so points should be willing to compete at the 2 level. Need a better suit at the 3 level."

You would then use 3x as competing with a good 6 card suit and 6+ hcp? Would this be invitational to 3NT/4M, or to play (I think)? If not invitational, what do you do with inviatational hands?

What do you do with GF values and a good 5 card major?

I don't yet play Lebensohl/Rubinsohl (2NT is just invitational to 3NT). Do you have a useful link?

My online partner wants to play Lebensohl. One of my ftf partners is experienced but doesn't like Lebensohl, another is willing to learn new bidding stuff, but has a limited amount of time to study. He recently agreed to switch to Precision (yes!), so we won't be adding many non-Precision specific stuff any time soon.

Do you have a suggestion to use with my ftf partners (no Lebensohl/Rubinsohl)?

#4 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2003-July-07, 08:23

Its very hard to bid competetive/invitataional hands vs gf hands if you don't play Leb or rub. These also allow you to show whether you have a stopper in the overcalled suit or not.
I think you should try to convince your pds. You are largely guessing if you don't. Leb is easier to remember than rub. Think of it this way Peter, if you open 1NT and the next hand overcalls, do you really want to bid 2NT to play? You are saying you will make EXACTLY 8 tricks; that is a BIG call. I will try to find a link unless someone posts one earlier.

Cheers
Ron
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-07, 09:00

Pb,

I'd recomment Rubensohl, because it can be applied not only when they bid over 2NT but in many other situations. Then you do have to learn but it's worth the effort because you are "controlled" in many problematic situations.
We play Rubensohl in this positions:

a) We open 1NT and they bid 2x
:) They open a weak 2 and pd doubles
c) We open 1c and they bid 2x
d) We open 1d and they bid 2x
e) Pd doubles 1x and RHO supports or bids a new suit.

Luis
The legend of the black octogon.

#6 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2003-July-07, 22:43

Luis I prefer rub as well, but Peter's pd does not want anythng too complicated and rub is far more easily able to be forgotten than leb.

Try this link Peter
http://www.bridgeguy.../Lebensohl.html

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users