BBO Discussion Forums: Simple opening bid - part 1 of 2 or 3 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simple opening bid - part 1 of 2 or 3

Poll: Simple opening bid - part 1 of 2 or 3 (50 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you open?

1. 1C (25 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. 1D (2 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

3. 1NT (23 votes [46.00%])

Percentage of vote: 46.00%

4. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-27, 03:20

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-August-27, 02:29, said:

Can you think of any convincing counter-arguments why using the minimum for a strong NT (whatever that NT range might be) as the minimum reversing strength should be more important?

Well I do not have a rebid problem when holding strong notrump values with the shape for a reverse, the whole point why this threat was opened in the first place.
Opening such hands with 1NT or opening 1 and rebidding 2 or opening 1 and rebidding 2 is obviously seriously flawed.

If I have weak notrump values I will open 1 and rebid 1NT with a singleton spade.
If I have 5-4-1-3 and weak notrump values I open 1 and rebid 1 over 1 and this has shown a profit over the years even though partner assumes I have 4 cards in spades.

Also reversing with say 15 HCP shows more advantages than disadvantages in my experience.
Opening requirements have come down for distributional hands.
I try to avoid making the same rebid with hands, which might be at least one ace apart, about 1.5 tricks in the play.
If I bid 1 followed by 2 I tend to have a six card suit and if I bid 1 followed by 2 I have distributional hand with at least 5 diamonds and 4 clubs.
Making the same non forcing rebid with 11 HCP or less and with 15 HCP and distorting your distribution at the same time is anything but ideal.
It is the mark of a flawed system.

Rainer Herrmann

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-27, 04:38

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-August-27, 03:13, said:

I don't think that follows. For instance, on this hand, many strong clubbers would open a 14-16 NT, since the alternatives of opening 1 and rebidding two (or opening 1) are even more flawed.

The transfer approach give much greater depth - on this type you may get to show 45 with 15 to a bad 17 on the third round and still stop in 2, so partner's decision whether to invite over that will be trivial.

There are many different ways of playing limited openings. So for me a normal reverse shows ~16-17 hcp and is specifically an invitational hand. That makes it really easy for responder (who has by this stage already shown a weak hand) and an ideal auction for using transfers on Responder's rebid.

Similarly, 1 - 1; 2 shows precisely 15-17, which does not strike me as such a bad description. That is obviously not as good as being able to show 4 spades along the way but it is a reasonable compromise against gains elsewhere.

View Postrhm, on 2014-August-27, 03:20, said:

Also reversing with say 15 HCP shows more advantages than disadvantages in my experience.

This seems to be the only direct argument for a lower limit of 15 rather than 16 and it carries about as much weight as "Reversing with 16hcp shows more diadvantages than advantages in my experience."

Of course you also write:

View Postrhm, on 2014-August-27, 03:20, said:

Making the same non forcing rebid with 11 HCP or less and with 15 HCP and distorting your distribution at the same time is anything but ideal.
It is the mark of a flawed system.

But one could just as easily say that forcing the bidding to the 3 level without a fit and without even having enough to invite game is the mark of a flawed system. Basically what we are weighing up here is how often we miss a 15-9 game versus how often we miss a 16-8 game or get overboard. There are some other small factors around the edges but these strike me as the ones that are going to have the largest impact on expected score.
(-: Zel :-)

#23 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-27, 04:53

FWIW there is a workaround that is "superior" to modified blackout that makes light 2 reverses viable. It allows responder 3 ranges rather than the usual 2 at the cost of an immediate spade rebid. After (say) 1-1-2:

2 artificial - in principle a weak hand with at most six points (plus a few COG hands). Note that the bidding can stop in 2 and 2NT

2 artificial - specifically an invitational hand (circa 7 to a bad 9)

2NT - nat, misfitting bad hand, promises 5

3+ GF

#24 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-27, 05:19

Open 1C, reverse afterwards. Really a no-brainer to me, because I'm a systemic guy.

#25 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-August-27, 09:42

View Postrhm, on 2014-August-27, 02:13, said:

I think modern standard natural bidding is simply flawed.
Why should a reverse require more strength in high card values than a strong notrump opening?
Sure that is convenient when you do have these values, but the truth is it simply leaves a big hole in your system, because such hands are quite frequent.
I would switch immediately to 16-18 notrump openings if balanced hands with 15 HCP would never occur.
Why people have lowered their strong notrump ranges but at the same time tightened the requirements for reverses escapes me.
Sure reversing the order of your suit bids require some extra strength and the reverse should be forcing in case opener has more values, but there is plenty of bidding room left to sort things out if opener has at least 15 HCP.
Some require more strength for a reverse than for a jump rebid of your opened suit, even though a reverse obviously consumes less bidding space.
Whatever the minimum strength of the reverse is, few play it as game forcing. So you will require methods thereafter to stop below game anyway.

This is much more a futile exercise in current bidding orthodoxy than in anything else.
I have never ever heard convincing arguments why the minimum values for a reverse has to be higher than the minimum values for a strong notrump.
The current requirements for a reverse seems to me an accepted dogma with a dubious rationale.

Of course I am not claiming that I resolve all problems by lowering the strength requirements of a reverse.
But I think the whole current concept of reverse is seriously flawed.
Modern bidding theorists usually agree on the principle that shape should come before strength.
Even without sophisticated methods I would rather show my shape and risk the very occasional condition getting too high than distorting my shape.
But if you simply align your minimum HCP requirement for your reverse to that of your strong notrump opening these problems disappear.

Rainer Herrmann

This is a complex topic, and not one that I think can be adequately addressed in this format.

To me, as I adverted to in another current thread, I think that a very important part of system design, especially in a method that uses very wide range 1-level openings, is to begin strength differentiation as early as possible. I suspect you agree.

That factor doesn't in itself help much with the question of reverses and where they start, provided that one has 'some' strength dividing line. For you that line would be lower than for me.

However, the lower the line for the first 'cut', the wider is the range contained in the reverse hand.

If you drew the line at 14...(almost) all hands with 15 start with 1N, if balanced, and with a reverse if unbalanced (and a 1-level bid isn't available)...then your reverse hands have a huge range....15-21 or so.

That in turn means that responder has to find out more strength information on a wide range of hands.

Indeed, on weak misfitting hands he can't pass since opener might hold 20 or so and have game on sheer power, but when opener has the far more common 15 or 16 count, there is no safety at 2N or higher. I think that issue is a huge negative for very weak reverses.

Note that this doesn't make it silly to reverse on some 15 counts. AQx KQxx Axxxx x, 11 now of course many would want to reverse but apart from rare walruses amongst us, this hand is no 15 count anymore. x KQxx Axxxx AQx is another story altogether.

The idea of reversing on the latter hand opposite KJxxx xxx Qx xxx makes me ill. And responder could have a less suitable hand.

It's not just or even mostly about the weak hands for responder. One benefit from strong(ish) reverses is that responder is in an excellent position to gauge the chances for game and slam at a low level.

With a wide range reverse, both players have to focus on using the next round of bidding as strength defining rather than, as for stronger reverses, more subtle assessments/descriptions of degree of fit.

Obviously when one has a narrow range for the reverse hand, one increases the range for the non-reverses, and this is a problem. Wide range reverses have better definition on their non-reverse auctions, and one might think that this offsets the cost on the reverse hands.

However, this isn't so imo, at least not fully. Reverses consume bidding space. Non-reverses conserve bidding space. We use bidding space to exchange information, so conserved sequences are inherently more efficient. One should try to put more sequences into conserved auctions than into space-consuming auctions. Sequences that consume space should be relatively tightly defined.

No matter where one draws the line, btw, there will always be hands that are going to be guesses. My belief is that in the long run, if one accepts that the number of game misses, due to range issues, is the same regardless of where the lines are drawn, then there is a benefit to the strong, narrower range type of reverse over the almost anything goes school in that the latter will go down at the 3-level, when responder has to cater to the very wide range reverse, while in the former, responder can allow the auction to end at the 2 or even 1 level.

I think there is a lot more that could be said on these issues. Everything is a tradeoff or compromise of some kind. The very strong reverse school to which I used to belong allowed for some truly easy and effective game and (especially) slam bidding when one knew what one was doing. This was because responder could very early on decide that slam was in the picture and could start with slam tries at a low level, and opener, having already shown lots of values, wouldn't be worrying about limiting his hand at his next turn.

The problem with the very strong reverse school is, imo now, that it left the non-reverse hand as too widely constrained.....it created too many missed games when responder swung low with an 8 or 9 count, and got too high when responder was aggressive.

Balancing these issues out requires an assessment of where the optimum dividing line should be. I personally don't find that reference to a notrump range is at all useful. Notrump hands are narrowly constrained as to shape as well as strength, and (ignoring transfers for the moment) the bidding structures used over 1N are fundamentally different, and have different objectives, than the methods used over a 1m opening. I think it flat out wrong to apply ideas from notrump bidding to suit bidding, at least in the early rounds.

To me, as I currently see things, the dividing line for reverses is more of a blur than a sharp line. Wonderful 15 counts, with 3 card support for partner, can reverse...personally, for me it would be a terrific 15 count. Misfitting 16's....not so much.

At the end of the day, what matters most is that partner knows what to expect and that the pair have very good methods over the reverse hand. I think one would find that the lighter the reverse, the less effective those methods will be and the question becomes at what point does this growing inefficiency become too problematic. Every partnership has to answer that for themselves, but to do so intelligently, they need to be aware of all of the relevant factors, which include non-reverse hands just as much as they include reverse hands. I am not pretending that I have covered all of the factors in this post.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-27, 10:06

Mike really covers most of what I wanted to say, but as an aside, this is somewhere the strong no trump suffers slightly in the unopposed auction.

1-1 in a weak no trump auction, having found out that partner has length opposite your shortage, you can just rebid 1N to show your values, and not have the issue that partner might pass 1N with say xxx, xx, KJ10x, Qxxx or transfer you to 2 with Jxxxx, QJx, xx, Qxx.

#27 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-August-27, 10:30

View Postpaulg, on 2014-August-25, 06:04, said:

Love All, IMPs, 48-board knockout match
Playing standard methods with a strong no-trump, what do you open? Your methods are such that a reverse is not game forcing, with 1-1-2-2 being Lebensohl for weak, misfitting hands. Whether this hand is worth a reverse, even with these methods, is up to you.
If you open one club or one diamond, what is your planned rebid over the likely one spade response?
This is a familiar problem, but there are a number of questions I want to ask about the auction as it develops so will try to set them in the context of the majority.
IMO
  • Opening bid: 1 = 10, 1N = 8 1 = 6. It's scary to open 1N with a singleton, even a top honour, especially if the shortage is a major when partner might hold e.g. Q x x x x A x x - x x x x x.
  • After 1 - 1 - 2 - a fair compromise for those who lack time for long systemic discussion is 2N = Lebensohl. 2/2 = NAT NF, 3... = F.

#28 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-August-27, 12:51

View Postrhm, on 2014-August-27, 02:13, said:

Why should a reverse require more strength in high card values than a strong notrump opening? (...)

I hadn't see this post. But I agree 100% with Rainer. I believe in splitting opening 1-bids in very well-defined ranges

min 12-14
med 15-17
max 18-20

I define a reverse as a med+ hand, so 15 HCP (the same as a strong NT) is enough for me.

I'm not claiming this is optimal. But it sure is systemic and makes bidding much simpler (and simple = good for teaching beginners and getting people into the game).

#29 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-August-27, 13:21

deleted
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#30 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-August-27, 14:39

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-August-27, 12:51, said:

I'm not claiming this is optimal.

It isn't. After a simple rebid you have an invite available whereas after a med-strong rebid there is no invite. More than this, we want our invite range to be as tight as possible. So from a theory point of view you want something like 11-15/16-18-/18+-20, or just 11-15/16-17/18+. I will mention in passing that I agree completely with the principle and this is the fundamental basis for the strong club bidding system I made up. You just have to remember that allocating hands equally is bad - you need the cheapest steps to be much more common and then use the space to branch off.

#31 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-August-27, 15:25

Branching out from low level is, in theory, preferable. Thing is it may complicate the auction somewhat.. that's the problem.

#32 User is offline   overruff42 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-August-27, 15:35

I like whereagles' idea of dividing opening bids into ranges, but where does this one really belong. With no texture and the stiff ace of the suit partner is most likely to bid, I think this is far closer to minimum range than even medium. I'd like to know if anyone has run it through K/R evaluator and where it falls. Because I am treating it as minimum (at least until auction develops more favorably), my choice is to open 1D, even though it distorts minor suit shape. It will make the 2C rebid over 1S automatic, and leave room to see if there may be a chance for a game.

#33 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-27, 16:11

View Postoverruff42, on 2014-August-27, 15:35, said:

I like whereagles' idea of dividing opening bids into ranges, but where does this one really belong. With no texture and the stiff ace of the suit partner is most likely to bid, I think this is far closer to minimum range than even medium. I'd like to know if anyone has run it through K/R evaluator and where it falls. Because I am treating it as minimum (at least until auction develops more favorably), my choice is to open 1D, even though it distorts minor suit shape. It will make the 2C rebid over 1S automatic, and leave room to see if there may be a chance for a game.

K&R upgrades it I suspect because it fits well with some pretty bad hands (xxxx, Qx, KJ10xx, xx offers decent chances of 5, xxxx, AQJxx, x, xxx is a good 4) so gives it 17.35.

#34 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-27, 16:24

View Postnige1, on 2014-August-27, 10:30, said:

IMO
  • Opening bid: 1 = 10, 1N = 8. It's scary to open 1N with a singleton, even a top honour, especially if the shortage is a major when partner might hold e.g. Q x x x x A x x - x x x x x.
  • After 1 - 1 - 2 - a fair compromise for those who lack time for long systemic discussion is 2N = Lebensohl. 2/2 = NAT NF, 3... = F.

Without systemic discussion, most would assume that 2 is 4th suit forcing. Natural, NF is aiming for a seriously low target, whilst rendering a whole range of hands unbiddable.

#35 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-August-27, 18:09

View Postjallerton, on 2014-August-27, 16:24, said:

Without systemic discussion, most would assume that 2 is 4th suit forcing. Natural, NF is aiming for a seriously low target, whilst rendering a whole range of hands unbiddable.
As stated, our agreement is Lebensohl over partner's reverse - FWIW - seemingly not much.

#36 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-August-28, 01:32

View Postnige1, on 2014-August-27, 18:09, said:

As stated, our agreement is Lebensohl over partner's reverse - FWIW - seemingly not much.

Another common agreement that requires minimal discussion is "cheapest of 2NT and 4th suit Lebensohl, everything else natural and GF". Now you cannot give partner a choice of majors at the 2 level any more but you have gained quite a bit on constructive auctions; which is a good trade overall.

#37 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-28, 02:53

View Postmikeh, on 2014-August-27, 09:42, said:

This is a complex topic, and not one that I think can be adequately addressed in this format.

To me, as I adverted to in another current thread, I think that a very important part of system design, especially in a method that uses very wide range 1-level openings, is to begin strength differentiation as early as possible. I suspect you agree.

That factor doesn't in itself help much with the question of reverses and where they start, provided that one has 'some' strength dividing line. For you that line would be lower than for me.

However, the lower the line for the first 'cut', the wider is the range contained in the reverse hand.

If you drew the line at 14...(almost) all hands with 15 start with 1N, if balanced, and with a reverse if unbalanced (and a 1-level bid isn't available)...then your reverse hands have a huge range....15-21 or so.

That in turn means that responder has to find out more strength information on a wide range of hands.

Indeed, on weak misfitting hands he can't pass since opener might hold 20 or so and have game on sheer power, but when opener has the far more common 15 or 16 count, there is no safety at 2N or higher. I think that issue is a huge negative for very weak reverses.

Note that this doesn't make it silly to reverse on some 15 counts. AQx KQxx Axxxx x, 11 now of course many would want to reverse but apart from rare walruses amongst us, this hand is no 15 count anymore. x KQxx Axxxx AQx is another story altogether.

The idea of reversing on the latter hand opposite KJxxx xxx Qx xxx makes me ill. And responder could have a less suitable hand.

It's not just or even mostly about the weak hands for responder. One benefit from strong(ish) reverses is that responder is in an excellent position to gauge the chances for game and slam at a low level.

With a wide range reverse, both players have to focus on using the next round of bidding as strength defining rather than, as for stronger reverses, more subtle assessments/descriptions of degree of fit.

Obviously when one has a narrow range for the reverse hand, one increases the range for the non-reverses, and this is a problem. Wide range reverses have better definition on their non-reverse auctions, and one might think that this offsets the cost on the reverse hands.

However, this isn't so imo, at least not fully. Reverses consume bidding space. Non-reverses conserve bidding space. We use bidding space to exchange information, so conserved sequences are inherently more efficient. One should try to put more sequences into conserved auctions than into space-consuming auctions. Sequences that consume space should be relatively tightly defined.

No matter where one draws the line, btw, there will always be hands that are going to be guesses. My belief is that in the long run, if one accepts that the number of game misses, due to range issues, is the same regardless of where the lines are drawn, then there is a benefit to the strong, narrower range type of reverse over the almost anything goes school in that the latter will go down at the 3-level, when responder has to cater to the very wide range reverse, while in the former, responder can allow the auction to end at the 2 or even 1 level.

I think there is a lot more that could be said on these issues. Everything is a tradeoff or compromise of some kind. The very strong reverse school to which I used to belong allowed for some truly easy and effective game and (especially) slam bidding when one knew what one was doing. This was because responder could very early on decide that slam was in the picture and could start with slam tries at a low level, and opener, having already shown lots of values, wouldn't be worrying about limiting his hand at his next turn.

The problem with the very strong reverse school is, imo now, that it left the non-reverse hand as too widely constrained.....it created too many missed games when responder swung low with an 8 or 9 count, and got too high when responder was aggressive.

Balancing these issues out requires an assessment of where the optimum dividing line should be. I personally don't find that reference to a notrump range is at all useful. Notrump hands are narrowly constrained as to shape as well as strength, and (ignoring transfers for the moment) the bidding structures used over 1N are fundamentally different, and have different objectives, than the methods used over a 1m opening. I think it flat out wrong to apply ideas from notrump bidding to suit bidding, at least in the early rounds.

To me, as I currently see things, the dividing line for reverses is more of a blur than a sharp line. Wonderful 15 counts, with 3 card support for partner, can reverse...personally, for me it would be a terrific 15 count. Misfitting 16's....not so much.

At the end of the day, what matters most is that partner knows what to expect and that the pair have very good methods over the reverse hand. I think one would find that the lighter the reverse, the less effective those methods will be and the question becomes at what point does this growing inefficiency become too problematic. Every partnership has to answer that for themselves, but to do so intelligently, they need to be aware of all of the relevant factors, which include non-reverse hands just as much as they include reverse hands. I am not pretending that I have covered all of the factors in this post.

Of course what you say is true.

However

What I have argued is not that 15 HCP is a better minimum requirement than 16 HCP
What I have argued is that the minimum strength requirement for a reverse should be aligned with your strong notrump openings, because there is a serious rebid problem for unbalanced hands, which fall in the gap between these minimum requirements.
You have to distort them because a 1NT rebid is not available and these are good hands even if they do not meet your requirements for a reverse.
I would have no issue with putting the minimum requirement at 16 provided you do the same with your strong notrump openings.
The actual hand is just a prototype for this problem:
Opening 1NT with a singleton spade describes your strength but you may miss game or slam in a minor when 3NT is down
Opening 1 and rebidding 2 may see you go down in a 5-1 fit in clubs when you belong in 5
Opening 1 and rebidding 2 risks ending in the wrong minor.

With regard to the dividing line and strength differentiation:

Yes we have a very wide range in standard systems to deal with and there are limits what we can do about this with our first rebid.
However, we also know that distributional hands at the top of the range are much much rarer than at the bottom and we have lowered the requirements for distributional opening bids as well in the last decades.
One reason people changed from 16-18 NT to 15-17 was that we nowadays open many more balanced 12 counts and good looking 11 counts (e.g. Axxx Kxxx Axx, xx), which used to be passed. This makes a maximum of 15 points for a 1NT rebid unwieldy.
Another reason was to make a 1NT opening more frequent.

Now let's say you hold 1-3-4-5 as a prototype reverse distribution.
You will open any hand with this distribution when the range is between 11-21 HCP and this is conservative. Some will open 10 counts frequently.
The point is that hands in the upper HCP range are much less likely to occur than those in the lower range. This is even more skewed with unbalanced hands than balanced ones.

If we put the dividing line at 15 HCP for a reverse this means roughly 2/3 of all those hands opened will not qualify for a reverse (11-14 HCP) and one third will (15-21 HCP)
If we put the dividing line at 16 HCP for a reverse 4/5 of all those hands opened will not qualify for a reverse (11-15 HCP) and only one 1/5 will (16-21 HCP).
If we put the dividing line at 17 HCP (remember most said the given 16 HCP hand would not qualify for a reverse) about 6/7 of all those hands opened will no qualify for a reverse (11-16 HCP) and only 1/7 will (17-21 HCP).

Now in all seriousness even if we put more importance onto the stronger opening hands (responder is unlimited too!) which agreement does a better job at strength differentiation?
Yes reverses consume a little bit more bidding room, but this is exaggerated in my view and what is the point of reverse agreements if they rarely come up in practice?
If you want to avoid reverses put the dividing line up, but do not tell me you do a good job in differentiating opener's strength.

It is true that if the deal is a complete misfit reversing lighter might get you one level higher. Every system decision tends to be a tradeoff.
Getting too high has not stopped us opening lighter and bringing strength requirements down in many bidding areas, because complete misfits are rare.
Playing stronger reverses responder will often have to make another try over a non reverse because opener might still have undisclosed values and the partnership risks losing game.
Then you might go down at the three level when opener is minimum, which is more likely.
Lighter reverses will definitely do a better job in finding the right strain when the deal is not a complete misfit or when responder has not a minimum responding hand.

Rainer Herrmann

#38 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-August-28, 03:25

View Postrhm, on 2014-August-28, 02:53, said:

If we put the limit at 15 HCP for a reverse this means roughly 2/3 of all those hands opened will not qualify for a reverse (11-14 HCP) and one third will (15-21 HCP)
If we put the limit at 16 HCP for a reverse 4/5 of all those hands opened will not qualify for a reverse (11-15 HCP) and only one 1/5 will (16-21 HCP).
If we put the limit at 17 HCP (remember most said the give 16 HCP hand would not qualify for a reverse) about 6/7 of all those hands opened will no qualify for a reverse (11-16 HCP) and only 1/7 will (17-21 HCP).

As I wrote above this is disingenuous because it does take into account that invites are possible over the lower range. What you actually have in practise is:

min 15: 11-12/13-14/15-21
min 16: 11-13/14-15/16-21
min 17: 11-13/14-16/17-21

But even that is not really correct if we think of the reverse as an invitation in its own right. That allows us to split the top range, which might just seem to get back to what you had before but this is not true. The 4 ranges in the resulting table are not equal; the middle two are much more important than those at the end because they represent the accuracy of our invites and therefore the accuracy of our game bidding:

min 15: 11-12/13-14/15-17/18-21
min 16: 11-13/14-15/16-17;18-21
min 17: 11-13/14-16/17/18-21

And this is the crux of it.

Now this is itself not quite fair because the min 17 style typically comes from a background with light responses, so 18 may not be enough to force to game. To preserve the 2 point ranges in the critical middle 2 ranges, you automatically need to raise the minimum for a reverse as you lower the requirements for a response. But perhaps you can at least see in the above table why 16 as a cut off makes sense, even if you disagree with the logic within the context of the overall system.

#39 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-28, 03:45

View Postnige1, on 2014-August-27, 18:09, said:

That you play Lebensohl doesn't exclude 4SF as well, Lebensohl knows where it's going initially, 4SF doesn't in these circumstances.

#40 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-28, 05:16

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-August-28, 03:25, said:

As I wrote above this is disingenuous because it does take into account that invites are possible over the lower range. What you actually have in practise is:

min 15: 11-12/13-14/15-21
min 16: 11-13/14-15/16-21
min 17: 11-13/14-16/17-21

But even that is not really correct if we think of the reverse as an invitation in its own right. That allows us to split the top range, which might just seem to get back to what you had before but this is not true. The 4 ranges in the resulting table are not equal; the middle two are much more important than those at the end because they represent the accuracy of our invites and therefore the accuracy of our game bidding:

min 15: 11-12/13-14/15-17/18-21
min 16: 11-13/14-15/16-17;18-21
min 17: 11-13/14-16/17/18-21

And this is the crux of it.

Now this is itself not quite fair because the min 17 style typically comes from a background with light responses, so 18 may not be enough to force to game. To preserve the 2 point ranges in the critical middle 2 ranges, you automatically need to raise the minimum for a reverse as you lower the requirements for a response. But perhaps you can at least see in the above table why 16 as a cut off makes sense, even if you disagree with the logic within the context of the overall system.

Sorry I do not really understand what you are saying.
Responder is essentially unlimited and we just know he has at least 4 cards in a major. With Walsh popular or similar he can have a vast variety of distributions and strength.

Are you claiming there is no substantial difference whether a non reverse rebid shows 11-14 or 11-15 or 11-16?
Are you claiming there is no problem when a non reverse say 1-1-2 could show five cards or six cards?

There is not only a problem whether there is enough strength to reach game. There is also an issue which game or slam.
I am not sure what you believe in.
But I believe the foundation of good slam bidding is based to a large extent on information in the early rounds of bidding and discovering distributional fits (trump agreement) early instead of groping in the dark.
Later rounds of bidding heavily depend on that information.

Rainer Herrmann

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users