• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Show Me. O.K., that's enough.

#81 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-22, 03:42

Just for comparison: Iceland in chock after their police killed a guy. This is the first time in the country's history, and the guy shot at the officers first:

http://www.pri.org/s...ime-its-history
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#82 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-22, 04:01

Right. There are other ways to handle a situation.

I think there are some systematic problems (not just this video and Michael Brown, but also the police treatment of media and others, etc.). I also think of something like the Stanford Prison Experiment and think there may be an aspect of that sort of psychology when you split people up into district groups with one having authority over the other.

This doesn't mean the officers should necessarily be charged or anything. But does mean the whole system in general needs examining.

#83 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-22, 04:13

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-August-22, 03:42, said:

Just for comparison: Iceland in chock after their police killed a guy. This is the first time in the country's history, and the guy shot at the officers first:

http://www.pri.org/s...ime-its-history

Iceland is about 1000 times smaller than the US by population. In the US it is hard to tell exactly but there are about 400-800 arrest related deaths a year from police (not all shootings). So if Iceland had a similar rate you'd expect there to be deaths every few years, not once in history.

But in general the US has much higher gun death numbers across the population than most countries. Each year in the US more than 1 in 10,000 people die from firearms (more than half suicide, more than 1/3 homicide). Iceland has less than 1/6 that number, and less than 1/10 the firearm homicide rate.

#84 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-August-22, 05:11

View Postmike777, on 2014-August-21, 22:14, said:

dO you know without looking on google how many law enforcement killed and wounded in 2012?

There was a decent piece on Sully's site discussing some of these numbers

http://dish.andrewsu...is-police-work/

The numbers were drawn from http://www.nleomf.or...ata/causes.html
Alderaan delenda est

#85 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-August-22, 08:53

I am not sure how many college women in Iceland are raped but in the USA 20% of women in college report being raped or sexually assaulted.

I don't know how many children are sold for sex in Iceland but per nbc news 200.000 American children each year are sold for sex each year.

If the numbers I have heard are correct there are 12 million arrests in the usa each year and 400 people in 2012 killed by cops.

In my old hometown of Chicago...thousands and thousands and thousands have been murdered by thugs many of them children How many in Iceland?

btw in general more americans are beheaded than in Iceland by thugs on utube. But then more people were saved on that mountain than by Iceland.

#86 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-August-22, 09:10

I couldn't find the number of raped students and junior sex slaves, but the 2010 fish catches for iceland were, according to icestats (metric tons):
Cod    Haddock Saithe Redfish Herring Capelin Whiting Mackerel 	  	  	  	  	  	  	  	 
167630	63866	53718	52815 123653	102196	1091 68820

Not sure what this has to do with the topic of this thread, though.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#87 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-August-22, 09:16

Some posters compared Iceland to the USA and talked of rates of violence. Let us look at all violence and not cherry pick the stats.

Many of those raped students and children are raped by young men. Many of the thousands and thousands and thousands of murdered in my lifetime were murdered by young men. There is a fear a of young men in the USA.

Keep in mind the top law enforcement officer in the USA at times does not trust the police. The police work for the government. Many people in Ferguson don't trust the police who work for the government.

#88 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-August-22, 09:31

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-August-22, 09:10, said:

I couldn't find the number of raped students and junior sex slaves, but the 2010 fish catches for iceland were, according to icestats (metric tons):
Cod    Haddock Saithe Redfish Herring Capelin Whiting Mackerel 	  	  	  	  	  	  	  	 
167630	63866	53718	52815 123653	102196	1091 68820

Not sure what this has to do with the topic of this thread, though.

I think those stats are pretty fishy.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#89 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2014-August-22, 09:34

View Postmike777, on 2014-August-22, 09:16, said:

Some posters compared Iceland to the USA and talked of rates of violence. Let us look at all violence and not cherry pick the stats.

Many of those raped students and children are raped by young men. Many of the thousands and thousands and thousands of murdered in my lifetime were murdered by young men. There is a fear a of young men in the USA.

Keep in mind the top law enforcement officer in the USA at times does not trust the police. The police work for the government. Many people in Ferguson don't trust the police who work for the government.

This is what I like: non-cherry-picked statistics you can rely on to be accurate. :P
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#90 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-22, 09:44

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-August-22, 09:31, said:

I think those stats are pretty fishy.

Ashamed to admit but I actually lol'd at this.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#91 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2014-August-22, 10:58

View Postbillw55, on 2014-August-22, 09:44, said:

Ashamed to admit but I actually lol'd at this.

I am ashamed to admit I wrote it. :o

#92 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-27, 10:22

View PostMbodell, on 2014-August-22, 04:01, said:

But does mean the whole system in general needs examining.

Generally pollice, gun control laws etc... what to hell is going on in a country, in which its quite normal and legal to give 9y old girl the real UZI in the hand with the words... and now full automatic?
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#93 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-27, 16:48

View PostAberlour10, on 2014-August-27, 10:22, said:

Generally pollice, gun control laws etc... what to hell is going on in a country, in which its quite normal and legal to give 9y old girl the real UZI in the hand with the words... and now full automatic?

Last year Staples sold a $5 pencil that was 3 feet tall and 10 inches around and I thought, "Oh great a club and a spear all in one for 6 year olds." This must be the NRA's idea of a natural progression?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#94 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-28, 10:02

Blame the NRA, and Congress's perpetual cow-towing to their lobby, for the fact that gun laws for the most part make little distinction between ordinary rifles and handguns versus military-grade weapons. When I was a kid going to summer camp about 45 years ago, riflery was one of the activities, but all we had available were .22 rifles and maybe some kind of pistol. But now, gun ranges can also offer automatic weapons, and they're included in the same parental waivers. I understand that the "industry practice" is that children 8 years and older are allowed.

#95 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-28, 11:31

View Postbarmar, on 2014-August-28, 10:02, said:

Blame the NRA, and Congress's perpetual cow-towing to their lobby.

I wouldn't blame the NRA. They don't make any laws. The NRA does exactly what they are supposed to do.

I would blame Congress. I understand that a large majority of voters wants to tighten gun control. It is time that Congress listens to their constituents. And if they don't, at the next election the voters can tell them to go fishing (or hunting). But for some reason, the voters didn't do that yet.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#96 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-28, 13:52

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-August-28, 11:31, said:

I would blame Congress. I understand that a large majority of voters wants to tighten gun control. It is time that Congress listens to their constituents. And if they don't, at the next election the voters can tell them to go fishing (or hunting). But for some reason, the voters didn't do that yet.

It is recurring situation in the USA. Come election day, the voters don't actually back up the things they say they want done. I don't know why or what to do about it.

This problem exists in Ferguson. The heavily black majority population say they want racial awareness and parity. They could easily elect a black mayor and black city council. But they don't, for some reason. Why not? Our political system offers elections as the way to fix such problems but the people don't seem to use this tool effectively.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#97 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-28, 16:35

Blame the NRA, and Congress's perpetual cow-towing to their lobby, for the fact that gun laws for the most part make little distinction between ordinary rifles and handguns versus military-grade weapons. When I was a kid going to summer camp about 45 years ago, riflery was one of the activities, but all we had available were .22 rifles and maybe some kind of pistol. But now, gun ranges can also offer automatic weapons, and they're included in the same parental waivers. I understand that the "industry practice" is that children 8 years and older are allowed.

Cow-towing? I had always heard this as the unhyphenated kowtowing, with the kow and the tow pronounced to rhyme with how, but I think I like cow-towing. (https://www.youtube....h?v=aSmZfnax1yw)

Here, I think, is why it goes so wrong with Congress, the NRA, and the public:

Most people, if asked, favor stronger regulations regarding guns. But for most, it is not a very personal issue. When I was around 8 or 9, I came somewhat close, I can't tell you accurately just how close, to being accidentally hit by an arrow from an archer. I was running in the woods, he was arching, or whatever it is called, in the woods, and the kid in back of me yanked me back as an arrow flew across in front of me. But there were a number of close calls in many ways, and I have never been even close to being shot. Realistically, for me, it is a very low priority danger. So yes, I and many others think we need to get guns under much better control but I think of it as a good for society rather than as a vital personal need for my own safety. And this lessens my insistence, and it lessens the insistence of others.

It's a problem. When an industry is very devoted to one issue and prepared to throw mucho bucks at it, that industry often gets its way. This isn't good, but it is a fact.
Ken

#98 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-28, 16:53

Where are these gun ranges with automatic weapons?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#99 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-August-28, 18:04

news article about over 1400 children sold for sex over 10 years in a northern English town.

The main point was that no one really did much to stop this. They turned away. It seems the number of people arrested and convicted of buying children for sex was something close to zero. The customers get a free pass and they went after a few pimps.

The point again is the fear of men, young men. The public puts great pressure on the cops to protect and yet as Ferguson shows there is great distrust of the police and the prosecutor. At times the police give up and turn away.

#100 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-August-28, 18:26

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-August-28, 16:53, said:

Where are these gun ranges with automatic weapons?

You can legally fire fully automatic weapons at gun ranges in both Arizona and New Mexico
There might be other states where this is legal.
Alderaan delenda est

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users