• You cannot reply to this topic

Another GIB system oddity Over 2C opener

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-06, 00:06

2-2
3-3NT
3 is "opener's suit", i.e. 5+ and 23+ HCP.
3NT is alerted as the "cheaper minor", showing a bust, which is what the robot had (4=3=4=2 3-count).
It seems strange to use 3NT as the "I got nothing" bid. What is opener supposed to do with a minimum 2 opening, let the weak hand declare 3NT?
Also, with four card support, isn't it best for responder to just bid 5?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 00:22

I think that once you are playing 3D as natural, you are already in a world of hurt, and there are no good options.

I am not saying that GIB is wrong to play 3D as natural. The alternative is to add more artificiality, and there are counter influences to that approach. It is a fairly low frequency sequence to go adding artificiality.

Wrong-siding 3N here means that opener has a vulnerable positional tenace, and does not require to establish that suit for his 9th trick, and the finesse in that suit fails, and they find the lead at trick 1. This should be a low frequency, even within the 3D rebids, and if you are finding it to be a high frequency it probably is not suitable for opening 2C.

So speaking personally, given the choice I would be playing transfers into the minors as rebid, and accept the transfer as 2nd negative (or certain other hands), But I can quite understand that in the context of GIB it is reasonable to play 3m as natural and 3N as weak.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 02:10

I think it's worse than wrong-siding. The defenders will be defending double-dummy since the closed hand will have 3 or less HCP. On this auction you'd lead a diamond and wait to see whether opener has 9 tricks in their own hand.

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 14:13

I haven't heard of opener's transfer to minors after 2C-2D. If 3C is trf to D, what is trf to C? Seems like all the other bids are needed for other purposes.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 14:52

iandayre, on 2014-August-06, 14:13, said:

I haven't heard of opener's transfer to minors after 2C-2D. If 3C is trf to D, what is trf to C? Seems like all the other bids are needed for other purposes.

2N is tfr to C
2H = H or bal with 2S art relay then 2N bal

There are a load of similar schemes out there. This is one of the simpler. Kind of similar to Sontag 1H rebid
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users