• Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-August-01, 12:43

first seat white vs red imps on bbo

KT8764
T
KJT75

thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-01, 14:21

I upgrade for distribution liberally, but I have my limits. This is not enough for 1.

White on red, I would choose 2, although I expect to catch flak over this from some posters. Pass is a close second choice.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-August-01, 14:46

Either pass or 2. I can live with either. Obviously, if I pass, I don't intend to stay mute forever (altho having the opps bid the blacks will cause me to change my mind :P )
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-01, 16:15

Too strong for 2S. Open 1 or 3 or even 4. Pass would be an option at mp but at imps I think you have to bid something.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-August-01, 16:23

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-August-01, 16:15, said:

Too strong for 2S. Open 1 or 3 or even 4. Pass would be an option at mp but at imps I think you have to bid something.

If I opened 2 I would think about bidding again even in situations wherein I was not 'supposed to'. I recall this was a tactic favoured by Zia back a number of years ago. I don't know whether he would still bid the same way, but he then advocated, iirc, that with this sort of hand one can't justify a 1-bid, and yet bidding 2 and never bidding again, absent partner asking you to bid, wasn't much better...and, probably for the reasons you see, passing is very unattractive.

I really hate 4, btw. I'd have more, but still not much, sympathy of our major were hearts, since they may choose 4 rather than pass a double, but over 4 they are more likely to convert a double than to take it out, and on most layouts, when it is close, they will be doing well to defend.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-01, 21:30

either treat it as a 2-suiter and pass then micheals, or treat it as a 1 suiter by opening a lot of spades (3 or 4 depending on your aggression).

the former action would be the safer, descriptive route, whereas the latter would be the aggressive, more variance producing route. fwiw, make my spades better (kjt) and i'd bid 4s, but with the dodgy suit i'll pass and show a 2-suiter.

really hate 2s. your hand is too good for only 1 call, but bidding again is likely to involve having to act at the 4 level.

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-02, 03:02

This is an easy hand: pass and bid 2NT later.

Maybe ZAR could open this one 1, but I won't.

#8 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-02, 09:47

1S or 3S depending on my mood. All other bids seem severely flawed.

The 'zia' approach is interesting, hadn't heard about it before.

#9 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-02, 11:14

Pass does not seem severely flawed.

#10 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-August-02, 12:03

Pass. The hand is just not good enough to open. The longest suit is just too flimsy.

I'll wait and try to come in later on.

#11 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-August-03, 13:02

View Postwank, on 2014-August-01, 21:30, said:

either treat it as a 2-suiter and pass then micheals, or treat it as a 1 suiter by opening a lot of spades (3 or 4 depending on your aggression).

the former action would be the safer, descriptive route, whereas the latter would be the aggressive, more variance producing route. fwiw, make my spades better (kjt) and i'd bid 4s, but with the dodgy suit i'll pass and show a 2-suiter.

really hate 2s. your hand is too good for only 1 call, but bidding again is likely to involve having to act at the 4 level.

well i am a junior lol :D

... i opened 4s

if the opps were sane they would have crucified me but instead they bid to 5h or something and went miles off

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-August-04, 04:27

4 is tempting but I think 3 is enough (unless playing in the Acol Club lol). I do the 2 - 4 thing sometimes but it just does not feel right here; is not unreasonable though. I dislike pass and 1 quite a lot.

And a 5 red versus white overcall on J9 Q87642 J852 A...what could go wrong? :P
(-: Zel :-)

#13 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-September-02, 08:03

I think this hand is not good for 2 that required a monocolor weak with only a bidding , for barrage because has a second suit of 5 cards , instead is in minimum force (14-16) and in system that i use (Stayman) not 6-5 but 5-5 spade-club is managed bidding 1 for bidding 1 in second round and inserting plastic valutation of the hand (+/- 1 point , +/1 a card) to treate like a 5-5.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users