BBO Discussion Forums: minor fit after stayman for major - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

minor fit after stayman for major

#1 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-July-06, 14:40

A question I want to ask for long time. After pd open 1n, you hold a unbalanced hand, with a 4 card major and a 5 or longer minor suit, strong enough to game. After pd responded another major, which is usually the case, how do you exlpore with the possibility of minor slam?

pd holds:
S: AKTX
H: KT
D: ATXX
C: KXX

I holds:
S: X
H: AQXX
D: KXX
C: AQJTX

AUCTION GOES:

1N-2C
2S-6N

7C IS COLD. HOW TO CONTINUE AFTER 2S?

MANY THANKS.
HONGJUN

#2 User is offline   lifemonster 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-July-06, 16:20

There are two schools, both assuming you playing 4 suit transfer

1.the standard way(mainly BWS), is to bid 2C first, after the 2S response, bid 3C, which is natural and forcing, showing this kind of 4M+longer minor hand.

In this case, opener would cuebid 3D, which is obviously fit showing and several rounds of cuebidding plus RKC Blackwood would see you there, since responder is so strong that he can afford 6NT.

2.some players(including me once upon a time), agree that "transfer to minor, then bid a major" is natural and game forcing, showing such pattern. Therefore,
1NT 2C
2M 3m
would be weak 6+4 type hand, signoff.

As for this hand, if you use apply this approach, it becomes
1NT 2S(transfer)
2NT 3H(super-accpet, 3H shows hearts)
4C(opener goes back to clubs to show no fit in hearts, else a cuebid must be fit showing in hearts as well)

and from now on, once again, cuebid exchanging and RKCB will do the job.

#3 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-July-06, 16:41

There are two schools, both assuming you playing 4 suit transfer

1.the standard way(mainly BWS), is to bid 2C first, after the 2S response, bid 3C, which is natural and forcing, showing this kind of 4M+longer minor hand.

In this case, opener would cuebid 3D, which is obviously fit showing and several rounds of cuebidding plus RKC Blackwood would see you there, since responder is so strong that he can afford 6NT.

2.some players(including me once upon a time), agree that "transfer to minor, then bid a major" is natural and game forcing, showing such pattern. Therefore,
1NT 2C
2M 3m
would be weak 6+4 type hand, signoff.

As for this hand, if you use apply this approach, it becomes
1NT 2S(transfer)
2NT 3H(super-accpet, 3H shows hearts)
4C(opener goes back to clubs to show no fit in hearts, else a cuebid must be fit showing in hearts as well)

and from now on, once again, cuebid exchanging and RKCB will do the job.

thx very much. which is the more straightforward way? I mean when you play with random player.

#4 User is offline   lifemonster 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-July-06, 16:49

The first school is the standard way, and you don't need to play 4-suit transfer.

You need agreements on the 2nd one.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users