Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slam "correction"

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-08, 09:35

MP, best hand South, Instant, Advanced GIB version 30.

My understanding is that an initial double of 1-suit shows one of three hand types
1) An opening hand with tolerance for any suit bar opener's
2) A balanced hand too strong for a 1N overcall
3) A hand of distribution suitable for a suit overcall but too strong for such a bid. Granted that a simple overcall has a wide range, it is still non-forcing and jump overcalls are weak.

It is my understanding that this is a standard set of meanings shared by GIB and most humans alike.

Only in the first scenario is South expected to have tolerance for Spades when doubling 1C. South's subsequent 3D bid confirms hand type 3.

I also thought that in recent GIB upgrades it was supposedly taught to respect leaps to slam as to play.

Why, therefore, does North remove a cold 6D to 6S?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-08, 16:19

This is another example of something I've pointed out several times, but I don't understand why the 3N explanation includes 5-H and 5-S. If North had a 5card major, wouldn't he show it before bidding 3N?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users