BBO Discussion Forums: Funny Stories - finding the source - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Funny Stories - finding the source help locating a source

#1 User is offline   Finder01 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-03, 21:30

I am in the process of writing a book and want to cite some funny stories I have heard but I am having trouble finding the source to cite.

1) A bridge player was in town and asked to play at the local club. The director asked a woman referred to as the "hat lady" to play with the gentleman and she asked the gentleman if he had placed in any recent tournaments and his response was yes, 5th. She was appalled to be asked to be placed with a beginner. He ended up playing with a fairly new player and eventually got to the Hat Lady's table. After the bidding on the first board she criticized the gentleman's partner's bidding and he told her his partner could seemingly make any bid and indeed he preceded to end play her on that particular hand. She then sheepishly asked the gentleman WHICH tournament he placed 5th in and got the reply that it was the World Championships.

2) A bridge pro had a notorious Las Vegas client that was known to make "offers that couldn't be refused". On the way to a tournament the client informed the pro that having read about Gerber, he wanted ANY 4C bid to be Gerber regardless of sequence. The pro tried to discourage the client but the client insisted. Sure enough at the tournament a sequence came up with an unusual 4C bid which was alerted and upon asking the meaning the pro mumbled Gerber. The opponent indignantly asked for clarification and the pro had to explain to Johnny Gerber that it was indeed Gerber.

3) A story about the 9 year old Life Master's early (HA) playing was told how once he put the Stop card down and then proceeded to Pass. After the bidding was over his mother asked him why he used the Stop card when he was Passing. His reply was "I wanted you to STOP BIDDING".

If anyone has links or references to the origin or a printing of these stories I would appreciate the information.

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-04, 03:38

Hello Finder and welcome to the BBO forums. I am afraid I cannot help trace any of your stories but can add another famous one in which Ghestem got a TD call for getting Ghestem wrong.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-04, 07:23

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-June-04, 03:38, said:

Hello Finder and welcome to the BBO forums. I am afraid I cannot help trace any of your stories but can add another famous one in which Ghestem got a TD call for getting Ghestem wrong.

David Burn wrote about this or a similar case here.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users