• You cannot reply to this topic

Delayed Lebensohl

#1 User is offline   fkegley 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-30, 09:30

Recently, I held the following hand:

S-x H-AKJxxx D-Axx C-xxx, White vs Red

My partner passed and RHO opened 1 NT (15-17). With this particular partner, I play DONT, so I doubled, showing a one-suited overcall. LHO should have taken into account the fact that my double is FORCING on my partner and redoubled. However, he didn't fully appreciate this so he jumped to 3NT. I took the first seven tricks when the hearts suit split 3-2 with the Q dropping.

I maintain, though, that a better way to do this would be for LHO to either P or XX. My partner would then bid 2C, which I would convert to 2H.

Now LHO can come to life with Lebensohl, just as if I had overcalled 2H in the first place.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-30, 10:34

Yes. Your double is not forcing though - partner will pass with a hand good enough to expect 1nt to go down.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-30, 11:38

LHO ( Responder ) could "come to life" immediately playing "systems ON over a double " .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-31, 09:22

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2014-May-30, 11:38, said:

LHO ( Responder ) could "come to life" immediately playing "systems ON over a double " .

True, but maybe "systems on" does not have a minor takeout. The combination of "system on" and "delayed system on" perhaps gives the best of all worlds, eg immediate 2 with a 4 card spade suit, and pass then 2 with a 5 card, if you have no specific counter to a non-penalty double.

Edit : Of course you could bid an immediate 2 transfer with 5 spades, but perhaps you were hoping to penalise a minor if they bid one, so passed first.

This post has been edited by fromageGB: 2014-May-31, 09:26

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-June-01, 20:03

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-May-30, 10:34, said:

Yes. Your double is not forcing though - partner will pass with a hand good enough to expect 1nt to go down.

A player who passed in 1st seat could not have such a hand.

And even if partner of the doubler weren't a passed hand, if you have enough for game opposite your partner's opening 1NT, 4th hand can't have enough to convert the double.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-02, 02:44

What your 7th seat structure over 2 should be is dependant on what hands your 3rd seat pass can contain. Coming from a weak NT background it is common to keep the runout system on even when the double is not penalty so this can vary greatly. Even without playing "delayed Lebensohl", I think it is pretty clear that passing and then bidding 3 of their suit is asking for a stopper for 3NT. We have had a few threads in the past on this iirc.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users