S: KJXX
H: XXX
D: AK
C: QXXX

1C-1S
2S-3H
4S-5C
5D-6S

I am south, thought 3h is short suit trial, so I leap to 4s, but pd turned out to have a strong hand, though we finally landed at 6s, but missed a grand.

Question: (1)How to bid 7s? (2)I personally think 3h is sort of misleading, i would bid 4c, cuebid ace, even 3c showing the 2nd suit fit is better. Any comments?

Thanks very much!

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-June-30, 18:39

I concur that a 3C rebid is probably best.

I like the auction

1C - 1S
2S - 3C

Letting opener know that there is a double fit makes it much easier to evaluate his hand.
Furthermore, since opener has already limited his hand via the 2S rebid, it is easy to cooperate and show controls.

On a good day, I might produce the following

1C - 1S
2S - 3C
3D - 3H 3D / 4C = cue bids
4D - 4H 4D / 4H = cue bids
5C - 5N 5C = Club Queen / 5N = GSF
6S - 7S 6S = 4 trumps to the King
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-01, 04:12

I concur that a 3C rebid is probably best.

I like the auction

1C - 1S
2S - 3C

Letting opener know that there is a double fit makes it much easier to evaluate his hand.
Furthermore, since opener has already limited his hand via the 2S rebid, it is easy to cooperate and show controls.

On a good day, I might produce the following

1C - 1S
2S - 3C
3D - 3H 3D / 4C = cue bids
4D - 4H 4D / 4H = cue bids
5C - 5N 5C = Club Queen / 5N = GSF
6S - 7S 6S = 4 trumps to the King

I think pd is quite concerned with d. is it possible for him to find out or for me to tell him that i have doubleton dak? This is crucial for us to head off to 7s

#4 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-01, 06:02

N/S Vul, Delaer S
North holds:
S: AQXXX
H: A
D: XXX
C: AKXX

South holds :

1C-1S
2S-3H
4S-5C
5D-6S

I am south, thought 3h is short suit trial, so I leap to 4s, but pd turned out to have a strong hand, though we finally landed at 6s, but missed a grand.

Question: (1)How to bid 7s? (2)I personally think 3h is sort of misleading, i would bid 4c, cuebid ace, even 3c showing the 2nd suit fit is better. Any comments?

Thanks very much!

Even playing short suit trials you should always have "one" bid to show a slam-interested hand. I don't know which one, you have to agree that with your pd. You are fixed otherwise and I think you did well enough to reach 6s.

Can I resist posting the Moscito auction? No!

North holds:

South holds :

1NT (10-14 4/5 spades) 2c (relay)
3c (4-3-2-4) 3d (ask controls)
3n (4) 4c (where?)
4h (sK) 4s (go on)
4n (- in h) 5c (go)
5h (dAK no sQ) 5s (go)
6c (cQ) 7s

Note that relayer knows "Kxxx, xxx, AK, Qxxx"
The legend of the black octogon.

#5 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-01, 06:17

Can I resist posting the Moscito auction? No!

North holds:

South holds :

1NT (10-14 4/5 spades) 2c (relay)
3c (4-3-2-4) 3d (ask controls)
3n (4) 4c (where?)
4h (sK) 4s (go on)
4n (- in h) 5c (go)
5h (dAK no sQ) 5s (go)
6c (cQ) 7s

Note that relayer knows "Kxxx, xxx, AK, Qxxx"

hmm, seems i should learn Moscito, is it hard to learn? Much different from precision? Will it be a problem if Opp intervene?

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-July-01, 06:37

N/S Vul, Delaer S
North holds:

South holds :

1C-1S
2S-3H
4S-5C
5D-6S

Thanks very much!

Hi... since you don't want to learn kantar roman keycard blackwood until you become a professional player, you can try to get there with all cue bidding, getting down to third round controls, but it is tough, and I will not be able to bid it this way.... I have seen others bid this way however. IT goes something like this....

1C-1S
2S-3C
3D-3H
3S-4C (3S= willing to stop, 4C=AK of clubs)
4D-4H (4D=control, 4H=first & 2nd round)
5C-5H (5C=club Q, 5H=absolute control)
6D-7S (6D=thrid round control)
Pass

South has Club QJ at most, diamond AK, and nothing in hearts. Must have spade king to have an opener.

However, I would like to put in one more plug for kantar roman keycard blackwood and two suit agreement keycard ask. It really isn't that bad. After both partners bid a suit.. isn;t the king in that suit AT LEAST as important as the king in the first suit? With kantar's the bidding goes....

1C-1S
2S-3C (3C to set up two suit agreement)
3D-4N (4N=two suit agreed blackwood)
5S-6D (5S=2 KeyCard +CQ, 6D= SSA in D)
7C-7S (7C=doubleton AK...)
Pass

The 6D is kantar's specific suit asking bid (SSA) in diamonds. 6H over six diamond would show queen or a doubleton (1st step). 6S is not a step and would deny third round diamond control, 6NT is second step and would show King-third or longer in diamonds, and 7C show specfically Diamond Kx (or since here must have Ace, AK tight), jump to 7S shows singleton diamond. Opposite Kxx of diamonds (if partner had bid 6NT), you of course play 7Cs, not 7S. In that case you win 4C, 1H, 5S, 2D, and 1 heart ruff with a club (playing in the 4-4 club fit). With AK doubleton in diamonds you play the higher scoring 7S.

Two good uses for kantar in two days... and it really isn't hard at all... Maybe even us nonprofessional players should play it.

Ben
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   Antoine Fourrière 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:<br>

Posted 2003-July-01, 06:39

Your first four bids should also have done the job, at least on that mesh. (But that's not a reason for not learning Moscito!)

North holds:

South holds :

1C 1S
2S 3H
3N 4C
4N 5K
5H 6C
7C/S

The key bid is 3N, which means 4S (you do not play 3N after such a start) and lets responder show slam interest and four clubs. Opener then learns that responder has four keys out of six and the higher queen.

Still, it could be useful to know that responder has five spades and four clubs, and I would like to play five-card major answers.

#8 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-01, 07:19

hmm, seems i should learn Moscito, is it hard to learn? Much different from precision? Will it be a problem if Opp intervene?

If you have a regular pd, I'm sure that learning Moscito is a good idea.There're many variations of Moscito, I play German-Moscito because it is
very easy to learn and it's ok according to most regulations, I can even play it at local clubs. BUT if you want to learn a more advanced and superior treatment then you should use the Australian version by Marston-Burgess, Richard Willey has amazingly extense and detailed notes about Moscito for the Australian version, for the German version I know there's a document in German, and I'm sure there was an english version, unfortunately I just have a spanish version in paper.
Maybe you can start with the German version and then "upgrade" to the modern variation, but there's some risk :-) I've been trying to do it and my pd just says "why? this is too good to change...." :-)
The legend of the black octogon.

#9 User is offline   lifemonster 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-01, 08:30

This is why people use Soloway Jumpshift.

Opener, below game level, now knows that there is
1.excellent double fit in blacks, each headed with 2/3 top honors!
2.responder is short in hearts;

Then a simple double-suiter-RKCB will discover that the shortage is stiff Ace.

#10 User is offline   lenze 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-01, 08:37

N/S Vul, Delaer S
North holds:

South holds :

1C-1S
2S-3H
4S-5C
5D-6S

Thanks very much!

Here's my simple auction, although I realize strong jump shifts are not considered Modern.

1C - 2S
3S - 4C
4D - 4H
4S - 5C
5D - 5H
5N - 7S
Please do not complain about my opinion. I don't have the time to convince you I'm right.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users