• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elinescu-Wladow banned

#121 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-04, 13:36

I believe better analogy would be to compare with soccer or other teams game if doping test of one of the players got positive after the game. Do they punish club (other than count game as lost) or not? I don't know the answer.

Doping is not fair comparison to what they did.
While doping is against the rules and give you advantage it doesn't kill the game right away, especially in games like football where there are 11 players from one team on the pitch. THis is more similar to bribing the arbiter to give you several penalties or knocking players from opposing team down when the arbiter is not looking. Maybe putting electronic device in a ball which makes it miss the goalposts would be in similar category. What they did is offence against very essence of the game. It's basically the same as playing boards you already know and managed to smuggle as official boards.

In bridge information is everythign. If am allowed to have a few illegal signals here and there I would be the best player in the world by long mile. In tennis if I am allowed to use w/e PED' there are I will maybe beat some people I usually lose to and that's it.

#122 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-April-04, 14:00

View Postbluecalm, on 2014-April-04, 13:36, said:

Doping is not fair comparison to what they did.
While doping is against the rules and give you advantage it doesn't kill the game right away, especially in games like football where there are 11 players from one team on the pitch. THis is more similar to bribing the arbiter to give you several penalties or knocking players from opposing team down when the arbiter is not looking. Maybe putting electronic device in a ball which makes it miss the goalposts would be in similar category. What they did is offence against very essence of the game. It's basically the same as playing boards you already know and managed to smuggle as official boards.

In bridge information is everythign. If am allowed to have a few illegal signals here and there I would be the best player in the world by long mile. In tennis if I am allowed to use w/e PED' there are I will maybe beat some people I usually lose to and that's it.

Seems like a better comparison than you say to me.

A little extra information gives bridge players an advantage.

A little extra strength or stamina or alertness gives an athlete an advantage.

It doesn't appear these guys were the best players in the world and certainly not by a mile.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#123 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2014-April-04, 14:16

View Postbluecalm, on 2014-April-04, 12:46, said:

My point is that there is no way that WBF or any other international body police all the 200 (or w/e the number is) local federations. The only sane solution is to make federations responsible for sending teams which play according to the rules and take the consequences if they don't. It put incentives in the right place as well: it's not profitable to turn a blind eye on cheating either as a federation or as other pairs in the team.
If there is no responsibility on other pairs they won't act. Acting/whistle blowing is often social suicide and you fight the uphill battle against often well established players with basically nothing to win. It won't happen if incentives (you lose medals/right to compete) aren't there. If on the other hand the federation faces say one year ban for incidents that blatant people are going to have incentives in place to keep the team clean.
And let's be honest, if you play hundreds of boards with someone in one team you have to be really negligent to not notice something fishy when your partners regularly make magical leads/bids.

This seems flawed reasoning to me. Often I play whole events with relatively little discussion of what happened at the other table. Perhaps we talk about a few interesting hands. Typically I concentrate on the hands where I perceive we could have done better at our table and just getting comparison from the other table as a point of reference.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#124 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-April-04, 14:45

If you have a friend or respected bridge acquaintance who is playing on a team with a person or a pair that you suspect of unethical behavior, it stands to reason that you would talk with your friend about it sooner or later.

From what I understand, W & E were under suspicion from a large segment of the bridge playing world for some time. Surely this did not escape the notice of the German Bridge Federation or W & E's teammates. Yet they continued to play with them and allow them to represent Germany in international competition.

I don't believe that the teammates or the German Bridge Federation should be held without responsibility here. It is one thing to state that the German Bridge Federation is without any involvment in W & E's conduct, and that W & Es teammates are entirely free and clear of any suspicion of unethical conduct. It is another to say they are totally free of any responsibility.

I have played with an individual who I later found out was guilty of unethical behavior in bridge (for which he had previously been penalized) and has been accused of cheating in another mind game (more than accused - tried and convicted in the court of popular opinion). I have not played with him since I found out about this. But, then again, I have not seen him in quite some time.

I also have a friend who has been told in no uncertain terms by a number of very highly respected bridge players that an individual with whom he plays with as a teammate is, shall we say, of less than sterling character. Yet my friend continues to play on teams with this individual. I can't explain it.

#125 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-April-05, 01:33

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-04, 14:45, said:

From what I understand, W & E were under suspicion from a large segment of the bridge playing world for some time. Surely this did not escape the notice of the German Bridge Federation or W & E's teammates. Yet they continued to play with them and allow them to represent Germany in international competition.

I don't believe that the teammates or the German Bridge Federation should be held without responsibility here. It is one thing to state that the German Bridge Federation is without any involvment in W & E's conduct, and that W & Es teammates are entirely free and clear of any suspicion of unethical conduct. It is another to say they are totally free of any responsibility.

If the USBF suspected an American pair of cheating but they had never been convicted, or even charged, with the offence, do you think they would be able to bar them from international trials without being sued?
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#126 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-April-05, 04:56

View Postpaulg, on 2014-April-05, 01:33, said:

If the USBF suspected an American pair of cheating but they had never been convicted, or even charged, with the offence, do you think they would be able to bar them from international trials without being sued?

Yes. From the USBF General Conditions of Contest:

III. ELIGIBILITY

A. All Participants

All participants in any USBF Championship (players and NPCs), and any player or NPC added to a team that has been nominated to represent the USBF as a result of its performance in a USBF Championship, must meet the following requirements at the time of the USBF Championship:

1) Be either an Active or Resident member of USBF who is in good standing.
2) Not be under suspension by USBF, ACBL or ABA.
3) Not be excluded from playing in the specific USBF Championship by a committee of USBF, ACBL or ABA.

So, if a player or pair were suspected of unethical conduct, a committee of the USBF could exclude the player or pair from playing in a championship.

As far as legal action, it is not likely to succeed unless the exclusion was based on some prohibited reason, such as race, religion or national origin. Alternatively, an excluded player would have to show that the exclusion prevented him or her from earning a living without justification. That would be a difficult case to make if the exclusion was based on some rational criteria.

In addition, the USBF General Conditions of Contest also provide as follows:

XIII. APPEALS AND CONDUCT AND ETHICS COMMITTEES

A. Establishment; Timeliness of Requesting Ruling or Appeal.

[text omitted]

B. Jurisdiction of Committees and Regulations.

By participating in a USBF Championship players agree to the following regulations and procedures.

1 Tournament Committees

Two committees will be available at any USBF Championship to hear director’s rulings and appeals of assessed penalties, conduct disciplinary proceedings and similar matters

a) The Appeals Committee for the USBF Championship will appoint a Tournament Appeals Committee and an Appeals Administrator. [text omitted]

b) The Tournament Conduct and Ethics Committee will hear serious matters such as those that might result in disqualification of a team or player, (including when such a player has failed to play the required percentage of boards), or such as would affect the participant’s USBF playing or membership rights. Matters may be brought to this committee through the DIC or may be referred to it by an Appeals Committee. Conduct and Ethics Committee members are appointed by the DIC and the Tournament Appeals Administrator. Sanctions by this committee may be appealed to the USBF Grievance and Appeals Committee in writing up to 15 days after the conclusion of the event. By entering a USBF Championship, participants agree to be subject to the Bylaws, rules, and procedures of the USBF. Such Bylaws require an aggrieved participant to seek binding arbitration after exhaustion of all other administrative remedies.

2 Regulations governing players in a USBF Championship

Playing in a manner to advance the interest of one’s opponent, or inducing or attempting to induce another to play against their best interest or against the best interest of their own team is subject to discipline. Providing any inducement to a player not to compete in the event is subject to discipline. Players are subject to the regulations in Section XII – Security and the regulations and By-Laws of the USBF. USBF Championships will be governed by the ACBL interpretation of the Laws of Duplicate Bridge.

So, aside from being a member in good standing of the USBF, and not being under suspension by any of the ACBL, ABA or USBF, a player can be brought before the Tournament Conduct and Ethics Committee of the USBF which can deal with issues affecting a player's eligibility to participate in international competition. Also, players agree to seek binding arbitration after exhaustion of all other administrative remedies, which limits their ability to sue the USBF for denial of the right to participate in international trials.

#127 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-05, 06:40

Art as much as i want to agree with you, especially after GBF decided to defend these two, i am asking myself "what could they do ?" USBF suspension term is a little confusing to me or incomplete,, idk what they actually mean. Do they mean if a pair was complained and there are rumors about them, then they are suspended ? Or does it mean they are being monitored ? But in any case they are innocent until proven guilty and i don't know how can they be kept out of international events without damaging the reputation and names of these possible innocent people ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#128 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-05, 08:45

View PostCascade, on 2014-April-04, 14:16, said:

This seems flawed reasoning to me. Often I play whole events with relatively little discussion of what happened at the other table. Perhaps we talk about a few interesting hands. Typically I concentrate on the hands where I perceive we could have done better at our table and just getting comparison from the other table as a point of reference.

Wouldn't a hand where your teammates achieved a surprising successful result be "interesting"? Mightn't someone ask something like "How did you find that killing lead?" or "How did you bid that slam?"

Then the cheaters will have to come up with some Cthulhu-like explanation.

#129 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-April-06, 00:53

View PostMrAce, on 2014-April-05, 06:40, said:

Art as much as i want to agree with you, especially after GBF decided to defend these two, i am asking myself "what could they do ?" USBF suspension term is a little confusing to me or incomplete,, idk what they actually mean. Do they mean if a pair was complained and there are rumors about them, then they are suspended ? Or does it mean they are being monitored ? But in any case they are innocent until proven guilty and i don't know how can they be kept out of international events without damaging the reputation and names of these possible innocent people ?

I can't answer your question. It has always been my understanding that those at the highest level of bridge competition know when the results a player or a pair gets don't match his/her/their bridge ability. So, it is a matter of time before players who are cheating are discovered and barred . In the meantime, one of the responsibilities of those who set up criteria for participation in events leading to representation of countries in international events have to find a way to make sure that those who are cheating but have not yet been thrown out are not allowed to represent their country in international competition - perhaps by peer review.

Easier said than done - I understand. But surely this could have been done in the case of the German Doctors. Even I knew that W was under suspicion for unethical behavior, and I have never played against him. In all likelihood, I have never been within 1000 miles of him. But I read these fora and Bridgewinners. The subject has come up. Surely the German bridge federation knew what the best players in Europe apparently all knew. It cannot reflect well on the German bridge federation that they allowed a player who was under a cloud of suspicion to represent it in international competition.

[I would have responded to your post earlier, but I actually got to play in a Regional Open Pairs event today in Wilmington, DE, and my partner and I won! It was a very small event - 19 tables qualifying to a 10 table final scored at barometer scoring. My partner and I barely qualified - we were tied for 18th out of the 20 qualifiers. But we won with virtually no carryonver (0.13 on a 9 top) by scoring over 67% in the finals]

#130 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-April-06, 01:05

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-06, 00:53, said:

I can't answer your question. It has always been my understanding that those at the highest level of bridge competition know when the results a player or a pair gets don't match his/her/their bridge ability. So, it is a matter of time before players who are cheating are discovered and barred . In the meantime, one of the responsibilities of those who set up criteria for participation in events leading to representation of countries in international events have to find a way to make sure that those who are cheating but have not yet been thrown out are not allowed to represent their country in international competition - perhaps by peer review.

Easier said than done - I understand. But surely this could have been done in the case of the German Doctors. Even I knew that W was under suspicion for unethical behavior, and I have never played against him. In all likelihood, I have never been within 1000 miles of him. But I read these fora and Bridgewinners. The subject has come up. Surely the German bridge federation knew what the best players in Europe apparently all knew.

Perhaps the fact that Bob Hamman and the Cavendish committee were very happy to let them enter that (very) big money event, despite 'everyone' knowing, is an indication of how difficult it is.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#131 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2014-April-06, 03:42

View Postbarmar, on 2014-April-05, 08:45, said:

Wouldn't a hand where your teammates achieved a surprising successful result be "interesting"? Mightn't someone ask something like "How did you find that killing lead?" or "How did you bid that slam?"

Then the cheaters will have to come up with some Cthulhu-like explanation.

It might happen. Many times my partner and I leave quickly to prepare for the next match. Occasionally someone will ask later about a hand at our table or I will notice something in the hand records and wonder what happened at the other table. However as I say, maybe i am pessimist or something, but I am much more likely to concentrate on where we have had a poor score not where our teammates have had a great score.
Wayne Burrows

#132 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2014-April-06, 03:51

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-04, 14:45, said:

If you have a friend or respected bridge acquaintance who is playing on a team with a person or a pair that you suspect of unethical behavior, it stands to reason that you would talk with your friend about it sooner or later.

I have played with an individual who I later found out was guilty of unethical behavior in bridge (for which he had previously been penalized) and has been accused of cheating in another mind game (more than accused - tried and convicted in the court of popular opinion). I have not played with him since I found out about this. But, then again, I have not seen him in quite some time.

I also have a friend who has been told in no uncertain terms by a number of very highly respected bridge players that an individual with whom he plays with as a teammate is, shall we say, of less than sterling character. Yet my friend continues to play on teams with this individual. I can't explain it.

Bridge organisations do not want to deal with cheats.

For example, I reported a pair for cheating - using illegal prearranged communication. One of the pair has been the subject of a subsequent series of complaints. A friend of my wife's from the same club has confided that the locals know this player 'cheats'. No one wants to do anything about the cheating. In fact I was criticised for complaining to the director, even when the complaint came after talking to an official about my concerns in order to get advice on how to proceed.

On the other hand you cant have a vigilante justice system where people ostracise suspected cheats. This would too easily and quickly turn into damning the unpopular.
Wayne Burrows

#133 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-06, 15:48

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-06, 00:53, said:

Easier said than done - I understand. But surely this could have been done in the case of the German Doctors. Even I knew that W was under suspicion for unethical behavior, and I have never played against him. In all likelihood, I have never been within 1000 miles of him. But I read these fora and Bridgewinners. The subject has come up. Surely the German bridge federation knew what the best players in Europe apparently all knew. It cannot reflect well on the German bridge federation that they allowed a player who was under a cloud of suspicion to represent it in international competition.

[I would have responded to your post earlier, but I actually got to play in a Regional Open Pairs event today in Wilmington, DE, and my partner and I won! It was a very small event - 19 tables qualifying to a 10 table final scored at barometer scoring. My partner and I barely qualified - we were tied for 18th out of the 20 qualifiers. But we won with virtually no carryonver (0.13 on a 9 top) by scoring over 67% in the finals]

Actually i have found some data which may be related to what you are suggesting. From BW. Info was provided by Henk Uijterwaal

I lived and played in Germany from 1994 to 1997, in the same area as Wladow. At that time his reputation was quite bad, up to a point where organizers of local events asked him not to enter their tournaments. In these 3 years, he was stripped from the title in one pairs event, and suspended for some months after another event. In those years, Wladow played with Joe Piekarek, Elinescu wasn't around yet.
I was somewhat surprised that some 10 years later, Wladow entered the German open team considering everything that happened in the past.

When asked in which way his reputation was bad, just rude or cheating ?

Answer was

Both :-)

Case 1 was a tournament where a discussion with the TD got completely out of hand, up to a point where the organizers asked him to leave the venue. As he had already won, they simply didn't give out 1st prize.
Case 2: a pairs tournament consisting of a qualifier with the top X pairs qualifying for the A-final, the next X pairs for the B-final, etc. Wladow qualified for the A-final. For some reason, the number of pairs in the A-final was odd, so there was a sit-out. During the sitout, the pair kibitzed a pair in the B-final, not realizing that they were playing the same boards as the A-final. A few rounds later, Wladow and partner got to play the boards they just kibitzed and just played them. They scored 3 tops, making some unusual plays that only worked because they had seen the hands. This ended up with a suspension for the pair.

So after all you may be correct that letting these guys, at least one of them playing in national team could be prevented.(Assuming the info posted in BW is correct)
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#134 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-April-06, 18:22

View PostCascade, on 2014-April-06, 03:51, said:

Bridge organisations do not want to deal with cheats. For example, I reported a pair for cheating - using illegal prearranged communication. One of the pair has been the subject of a subsequent series of complaints. A friend of my wife's from the same club has confided that the locals know this player 'cheats'. No one wants to do anything about the cheating. In fact I was criticised for complaining to the director, even when the complaint came after talking to an official about my concerns in order to get advice on how to proceed. On the other hand you cant have a vigilante justice system where people ostracise suspected cheats. This would too easily and quickly turn into damning the unpopular.
The doctors case seems absolutely typical. Their cheating methods seem crude and consistent. For decades, players have suspected them and reported them to directors. Like Cascade, I wonder why no proper official investigation was started, long ago. Eventually, an opponent makes a few notes on a score-card and their code is cracked, overnight.

The WBF are goaded into reluctant action. To begin with they excel themselves: they appoint neutral observers to continue watching the suspects, checking that predictions conform with previous observations. (Next time, they may even realise that they shouldn't explain the code to their observers).

Then, unfortunately, the WBF fall from grace: they appoint a US commission chairman of the same nationality as the accusers; they fix a date, known to be impossible for the DBV. They fix a USA venue that suits ACBL members but would involve at least 6 other participants travelling from Europe. The DBV complain that they haven't seen all the evidence. They try to rebut the evidence that is available to them. Their efforts arrive too late or are ignored. The WBF convict the suspects in their absence and immediately publish their verdict.

On Bridgewinners, there are several topics about the German Doctors. The pack commend the WBF verdict. They bay for blood. There's a feeding frenzy. If the DBV appeal, it will be hard to find an unbiased jury.

All agree that the doctors' putative way of cheating is stupid. There are many examples e.g.
  • Partner is on lead to 7. You cough -- allegedly to ask for a lead. Surely, It's gilding the lily to follow with a Lightner double. Admittedly you might get an extra 50 but you also warn opponents, who can and do escape into 7N.
  • Over your 2NT bid, partner enquires with 3. With only 4, you jump to 4. You explain that you thought you had bid 3. This is cited as evidence of cheating but you could easily have bid 3 without engendering suspicion.
In the current set-up, sophisticated cheating is virtually undetectable, even if the authorities had the will to do anything about it. Deliberate cheating is not the only problem. Many top players rationalize: the employment of crude gamesmanship; the use of unauthorised information. and inadequate disclosure.

Hrothgar is right that isolated computers would mitigate these problems -- as would "virtual screens". Simpler rules would also help.

The rules should nullify results obtained with the help of cheats. In future, pairs and selectors might take more care in selecting team-mates. Also, other competitors should move up one place. This is theoretically unfair. Fro example the cheats might have knocked out the rightful winners, at an early stage. But it is simple and practical. With luck, other players might be less swayed by the argument "If you can't beat them, then join them". From a player's point of view, experience shows that complex Bridge legislation is not deterrent and produces unfair and incomprehensible outcomes.

#135 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-07, 02:39

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-05, 04:56, said:

Yes. From the USBF General Conditions of Contest:

III. ELIGIBILITY

A. All Participants

All participants in any USBF Championship (players and NPCs), and any player or NPC added to a team that has been nominated to represent the USBF as a result of its performance in a USBF Championship, must meet the following requirements at the time of the USBF Championship:

1) Be either an Active or Resident member of USBF who is in good standing.
2) Not be under suspension by USBF, ACBL or ABA.
3) Not be excluded from playing in the specific USBF Championship by a committee of USBF, ACBL or ABA.

So, if a player or pair were suspected of unethical conduct, a committee of the USBF could exclude the player or pair from playing in a championship.

As far as legal action, it is not likely to succeed unless the exclusion was based on some prohibited reason, such as race, religion or national origin. Alternatively, an excluded player would have to show that the exclusion prevented him or her from earning a living without justification. That would be a difficult case to make if the exclusion was based on some rational criteria.

In addition, the USBF General Conditions of Contest also provide as follows:

XIII. APPEALS AND CONDUCT AND ETHICS COMMITTEES

A. Establishment; Timeliness of Requesting Ruling or Appeal.

[text omitted]

B. Jurisdiction of Committees and Regulations.

By participating in a USBF Championship players agree to the following regulations and procedures.

1 Tournament Committees

Two committees will be available at any USBF Championship to hear director’s rulings and appeals of assessed penalties, conduct disciplinary proceedings and similar matters

a) The Appeals Committee for the USBF Championship will appoint a Tournament Appeals Committee and an Appeals Administrator. [text omitted]

b) The Tournament Conduct and Ethics Committee will hear serious matters such as those that might result in disqualification of a team or player, (including when such a player has failed to play the required percentage of boards), or such as would affect the participant’s USBF playing or membership rights. Matters may be brought to this committee through the DIC or may be referred to it by an Appeals Committee. Conduct and Ethics Committee members are appointed by the DIC and the Tournament Appeals Administrator. Sanctions by this committee may be appealed to the USBF Grievance and Appeals Committee in writing up to 15 days after the conclusion of the event. By entering a USBF Championship, participants agree to be subject to the Bylaws, rules, and procedures of the USBF. Such Bylaws require an aggrieved participant to seek binding arbitration after exhaustion of all other administrative remedies.

2 Regulations governing players in a USBF Championship

Playing in a manner to advance the interest of one’s opponent, or inducing or attempting to induce another to play against their best interest or against the best interest of their own team is subject to discipline. Providing any inducement to a player not to compete in the event is subject to discipline. Players are subject to the regulations in Section XII – Security and the regulations and By-Laws of the USBF. USBF Championships will be governed by the ACBL interpretation of the Laws of Duplicate Bridge.

So, aside from being a member in good standing of the USBF, and not being under suspension by any of the ACBL, ABA or USBF, a player can be brought before the Tournament Conduct and Ethics Committee of the USBF which can deal with issues affecting a player's eligibility to participate in international competition. Also, players agree to seek binding arbitration after exhaustion of all other administrative remedies, which limits their ability to sue the USBF for denial of the right to participate in international trials.

I see this differently.

Players are selected on their prior Bridge results to represent their country. The NBO should decide, which Bridge results matter and how the selections is executed, but I do not want a committee of wise men, who use their own subjective criterias, which personalities are eligible and which ones are deemed not.
Personalities of Bridge players are largely immaterial. This is how it is in other sports too.
If you want to disqualify someone, he or she should be already under a finally convicted penalty, saying he/she is ineligible.
You can and should not disqualify anyone due to hearsay, rumours etc. This would open the door to pure arbitrariness.
For example before Armstrong participated in his last "Tour de France" there were a lot of rumours and also already some evidence.
But this is not a basis to disqualify him or others.

Even if there has been instances before, you can not disqualify somebody.
For example If the verdict is upheld Elinescu and Wladow will be individually banned for ten years and as a pair for life from WBF events.
The DBV can (and probably will) do some of its own.
But assume after 11 years Wladow qualifies again with a different partner and the DBV will now not impose a penalty saying Wladow will not be eligible for life anymore.

If you would disqualify him then based on the current incident, in effect you ban him now for life. Then the verdict should say so now.
Punishing somebody again for the same offence is in my opinion not acceptable and in most countries illegal for good reasons.

Rainer Herrmann

#136 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-07, 03:20

Rainer, I agree with every sentiment above. However, sending a representative into international competition after sentence has been served or while under suspicion but not convicted could be a frightful thing for an NBO. Influential people are looking for blood.

Repercussions could financially cripple an organization and permanently prevent its future participation in the world of Bridge.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#137 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-April-07, 06:07

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-April-07, 03:20, said:

Rainer, I agree with every sentiment above. However, sending a representative into international competition after sentence has been served or while under suspicion but not convicted could be a frightful thing for an NBO. Influential people are looking for blood.

Repercussions could financially cripple an organization and permanently prevent its future participation in the world of Bridge.

I suspect the financial repercussions for sending a player (or pair) who has served their sentence or who are under suspicion but not suspended are minor by comparison with not permitting such players to compete in trials. Suspicion really means insufficient evidence to prosecute, which surely means they are innocent in the eyes of the law.
The Beer Card

#138 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-07, 06:10

View Postnige1, on 2014-April-06, 18:22, said:

The doctors case seems absolutely typical. Their cheating methods seem crude and consistent. For decades, players have suspected them and reported them to directors. Like Cascade, I wonder why no proper official investigation was started, long ago.

Why do you believe that no proper official investigation was started long ago?

Eventually, an opponent makes a few notes on a score-card and their code is cracked, overnight.

It seems quite likely that their code and method of communication have varied over the years, and that they didn't use it all of the time. If they usually refrained from using it when they thought they were being watched, that might explain why they weren't caught earlier.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#139 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-07, 06:22

This is way too much excessive coughing. I did not play against them but imho they were either using a different method in the past or they had too many balanced hands. It is kinda hard to not notice that much coughing.

Once someone is aware of the coughing, cracking the code is easy. (I mean this particular code)

#140 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-07, 06:35

View Postgnasher, on 2014-April-07, 06:10, said:

Why do you believe that no proper official investigation was started long ago?

It seems quite likely that their code and method of communication have varied over the years, and that they didn't use it all of the time. If they usually refrained from using it when they thought they were being watched, that might explain why they weren't caught earlier.

View PostMrAce, on 2014-April-07, 06:22, said:

This is way too much excessive coughing. I did not play against them but imho they were either using a different method in the past or they had too many balanced hands. It is kinda hard to not notice that much coughing.

Once someone is aware of the coughing, cracking the code is easy. (I mean this particular code)

Perhaps they had another method ready, but at a late moment came to fear that it had been detected, or would be detected. Then they might switch to a hastily prepared method which is less subtle.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users