• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elinescu-Wladow banned

#101 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-03, 11:09

View Postbarmar, on 2014-April-02, 18:40, said:

Let's stop the rude posts and stick to the subject, or I'll close this thread.

Surely that is collective and unjust punishment. Are you not able to exclude the miscreants?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#102 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-03, 12:03

Don't argue with the director, Paul. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#103 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-April-03, 12:30

View Postgnasher, on 2014-March-30, 04:29, said:

I predict that they'll strip the offending pair of their title, but they won't change the result of the event. The rest of the German team will remain world champions.

If there is no appeal, or it is unsuccessful, then the result of the match should be changed. The offence is certainly worse than playing an ineligible player in a team game, when it is normal to award the entire match to the opposing side. Why do you think they won't change the result of the event? Any finals where there is proof should be handled the same way. Of course one cannot change the results of earlier rounds.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#104 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-April-03, 13:14

View Postlamford, on 2014-April-03, 12:30, said:

Of course one cannot change the results of earlier rounds.

Really? Lance Armstrong was stripped of 7 Tours de France, not just one; the NCAA stripped Penn State of 112 football wins, etc.

#105 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-03, 14:43

Why do you think they won't change the result of the event?

Because it's easier, and they've probably had enough of making difficult decisions. It's also what they did in 2002 when a medal-winner refused a drug test.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#106 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-03, 15:08

If there is no appeal, or it is unsuccessful, then the result of the match should be changed. The offence is certainly worse than playing an ineligible player in a team game, when it is normal to award the entire match to the opposing side. Why do you think they won't change the result of the event? Any finals where there is proof should be handled the same way. Of course one cannot change the results of earlier rounds.

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-April-03, 13:14, said:

Really? Lance Armstrong was stripped of 7 Tours de France, not just one; the NCAA stripped Penn State of 112 football wins, etc.

I suspect Paul was referring to the fact that the organisers can't meaningfully change the result of e.g. the semi-final won by the German team. It's not practical for the final to be replayed between different teams six months later!

View Postgnasher, on 2014-April-03, 14:43, said:

Because it's easier, and they've probably had enough of making diffiuclt decisions. It's also what they did in 2002 when a medal-winner refused a drug test.

The 2002 incident was rather different.

(i) Just because a player refused to take a drugs test, it does not necessarily follow that she was taking any illegal substances.
(ii) Even is she was, it's not likely that any such drugs would have improved her results.

Amongst other sports, there does not seem to be a consistent approach. In ice hockey, it seems that the rest of the team get to keep their medals when a player is banned. In athletics, if one member of a relay team is found to have taken drugs then the whole team loses their medals.

#107 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-03, 15:09

I predict that they'll strip the offending pair of their title, but they won't change the result of the event. The rest of the German team will remain world champions.

That would be very sad. I also think it's likely unfortunately. Me view is that all the titles involving them in last 10 years should be stripped at the very least. Probably the German federation should also pay big fines.

#108 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-03, 15:11

Why do you think they won't change the result of the event?

In my opinion this is not possible in knockout matches.
What about teams which were knocked out earlier due to the cheating pair?
From a logical point of view, the whole tournament and its results are irregular.
You can not simply change the result of the final

Rainer Herrmann

#109 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-03, 16:31

View Postrhm, on 2014-April-03, 15:11, said:

In my opinion this is not possible in knockout matches.
What about teams which were knocked out earlier due to the cheating pair?
From a logical point of view, the whole tournament and its results are irregular.
You can not simply change the result of the final

Rainer Herrmann

You can certainly vacate the title. Allowing the teammates of proven cheaters (if that's how this ends after any appeals) to keep titles won in such a way is absurd on it's face. If it's too problematic to move up the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams one place each, at least vacate the title (ie Armstrong). Why would this even be controversial?
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#110 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-April-03, 18:01

View Postbluecalm, on 2014-April-03, 15:09, said:

That would be very sad. I also think it's likely unfortunately. Me view is that all the titles involving them in last 10 years should be stripped at the very least. Probably the German federation should also pay big fines.

This is a very peculiar post. Pray tell, how can you strip them from titles where there was no evidence o f cheating? Secondly, why on earth should the German association pay big fines? Are you suggesting that the German association was complicit in the cheating actions? That is a very dangerous comment to make.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#111 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-04, 01:14

View Posttrevahound, on 2014-April-03, 16:31, said:

You can certainly vacate the title. Allowing the teammates of proven cheaters (if that's how this ends after any appeals) to keep titles won in such a way is absurd on it's face. If it's too problematic to move up the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams one place each, at least vacate the title (ie Armstrong). Why would this even be controversial?

It is not. I said the results look irregular. This suggests such action.

Rainer Herrmann

#112 User is offline   peterh 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-04, 02:44

View Postcherdano, on 2014-March-30, 22:03, said:

Things are a little bit different when everyone can check enough of the evidence by themselves.

https://www.youtube....vebridgewebcam1

Anybody know the Session # Brd #s in each video ?

#113 User is offline   szgyula 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-04, 04:20

A slightly different issue:

http://www.bridge-ve...e/web/news/3028

This is from the DBV president, who happens to be a team member of the pair accused -- with his gold medal also being on the line. Can someone shed some light on this apparently official DBV document? What is the "internal investigation" they refer to, as opposed to a disciplinary hearing that would be more typical in a situation like this? What is the legal basis for this in DBV land? How can a team-mate be involved in this? Who presented the "other side" during the internal investigation? What evidence was available to them? Where is the protocol of this?

The statements of Wenning make it quite clear that these statements represent the unbiased and fair concludion of the DBV following a thorough and fair investigation. Obviously, somebody is clearly distoring the truth as based on the same evidence, WBF reached the "guilty beyond reasonable doubt" conclusion, while the DBV reached the "suspicion of deceit was not confirmed" conclusion.

What troubles me is the unusual DBV approach (i.e. not a normal disciplinary process) and the lack of independent DBV officials in the DBV process. I fully support Ulrich Wenning in presenting his opinion, helping his teammates, etc. -- as an individual. I have serious concerns with him doing this as the DBV president.

What do you think? What is really happening in Germany?

#114 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-04, 09:14

This is a very peculiar post. Pray tell, how can you strip them from titles where there was no evidence o f cheating? Secondly, why on earth should the German association pay big fines? Are you suggesting that the German association was complicit in the cheating actions? That is a very dangerous comment to make.

They've sent cheaters to international competition ruining it for everyone else involved. If we don't punish federations and teammates for that (by at least stripping a lot of titles) then there are incentives in place to send cheaters in. This is similar to punishing football clubs if their fans misbehave (which is standard procedure): the club pay the fines and is possibly banned for some time even. Here it's even worse: it's the very team you chose and sent to the competition which cheated and ruined it for everyone else. If you are not making federation responsible for who they send to international competition you are just asking for it.

#115 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-04, 09:44

Unlike football fans, cheating bridge players tend not to kill the kibitzers. Other than that I agree
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#116 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-April-04, 10:00

I see a difference between sending cheaters to international competition and sending players who subsequently are determined to have cheated.

I would think you'd need a separate set of charges and a separate ruling to determine prior knowledge/complicity.

While it is true the GBF was named as a defendant here, it seems that was only a matter of form so that the WBF could require the NBO to comply with the decision.

Mr. Hog is right. This is a dangerous topic. Also, not all international competition is set up where teams are representing an NBO.

We might end up requiring a level of scrutiny in advance which NBO's cannot possibly meet.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#117 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-04, 10:19

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-April-04, 10:00, said:

I would think you'd need a separate set of charges and a separate ruling to determine prior knowledge/complicity.

I think the analogy with football clubs being fined for misbehavior of fans was intended to show that complicity is not necessary in other spheres.

I can't find the justification for fining the clubs -- is there something they could have done to prevent their fans from getting violent? Are they "fanning the flames"? Is it because they encourage beer drinking during the games (but there have been riots at games in the Middle East, and I doubt there's much intoxication in Muslim countries). Maybe that policy is intended to be some kind of indirect deterrant. Fans who are so obsessive that they riot might feel a kinship with the team, and take it personally if the team is fined.

Whatever the justification, I doubt it has a parallel in a situation like this. However, perhaps the punishment could be for negligence: GBF should have been able to figure out that these guys were cheaters, and was not dilligent enough to catch them. This could be particularly valid if there have been past complaints about E-W, and GBF didn't take them seriously.

#118 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-04, 12:46

Whatever the justification, I doubt it has a parallel in a situation like this. However, perhaps the punishment could be for negligence: GBF should have been able to figure out that these guys were cheaters, and was not dilligent enough to catch them. This could be particularly valid if there have been past complaints about E-W, and GBF didn't take them seriously.

My point is that there is no way that WBF or any other international body police all the 200 (or w/e the number is) local federations. The only sane solution is to make federations responsible for sending teams which play according to the rules and take the consequences if they don't. It put incentives in the right place as well: it's not profitable to turn a blind eye on cheating either as a federation or as other pairs in the team.
If there is no responsibility on other pairs they won't act. Acting/whistle blowing is often social suicide and you fight the uphill battle against often well established players with basically nothing to win. It won't happen if incentives (you lose medals/right to compete) aren't there. If on the other hand the federation faces say one year ban for incidents that blatant people are going to have incentives in place to keep the team clean.
And let's be honest, if you play hundreds of boards with someone in one team you have to be really negligent to not notice something fishy when your partners regularly make magical leads/bids.

#119 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2014-April-04, 12:57

I believe better analogy would be to compare with soccer or other teams game if doping test of one of the players got positive after the game. Do they punish club (other than count game as lost) or not? I don't know the answer.

#120 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-04, 13:20

View Postolegru, on 2014-April-04, 12:57, said:

I believe better analogy would be to compare with soccer or other teams game if doping test of one of the players got positive after the game. Do they punish club (other than count game as lost) or not? I don't know the answer.

I think that you are on the right track, but maybe we should look for a sport where a "contestant" is about half or a third of the team, instead of 1/16th. In soccer, one could say that it has little consequence whether one player used PEDs, but when half or one third of the team is cheating (as is the case in bridge teams) that has quite an impact on the team performance.

I could think of tennis/badminton doubles (often played as knock-outs), beach volleyball, relays (swimming, cycling, running, ...), bob sleigh, rowing, curling, synchronized duo sports (diving, trampoline, ...), ... Maybe somebody knows what rules are used in some of these sports.

Perhaps tag team wrestling is not a good analogy. :D

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users