BBO Discussion Forums: Power management for Android Client - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Power management for Android Client

#1 User is offline   hirowla 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-27, 19:05

Hi,

One suggestion for the Android client for BBO (and probably for the iPhone one as well, but I don't have an iPhone to compare!). If you are watching a tournament (or watching partner from dummy) and it takes too long, your screen will power off. Can you use the power management on those devices to disable this feature? To save battery on my phone my setting is set to 1-2 minutes. It's very annoying to have to tap the screen every minute simply to watch! That would be a very useful fix.

Other useful fixes would be auto-play of singletons and the ability to declare if your partner is a robot. But the power management one really affects the usability of the software.

Regards,

Ian

#2 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-05, 11:59

View Posthirowla, on 2012-October-27, 19:05, said:

Hi,

One suggestion for the Android client for BBO (and probably for the iPhone one as well, but I don't have an iPhone to compare!). If you are watching a tournament (or watching partner from dummy) and it takes too long, your screen will power off. Can you use the power management on those devices to disable this feature? To save battery on my phone my setting is set to 1-2 minutes. It's very annoying to have to tap the screen every minute simply to watch! That would be a very useful fix.

Other useful fixes would be auto-play of singletons and the ability to declare if your partner is a robot. But the power management one really affects the usability of the software.

Regards,

Ian

The app actually tries to prevent Android devices from going to sleep, but some devices do not seem to respect such settings. Sorry but I don't think there is anything more we can do about this. My only suggestion is that you change your phones settings so that it goes to sleep less frequently (at least when using the BBO app).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#3 User is offline   ulven 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Real name: Ulf Nilsson
    Semi-pro player.

Posted 2012-November-06, 01:44

I have the same issue (Samsung Galaxy Note) but have solved this with Dim Blocker https://play.google....GltYmxvY2tlciJd

Tap the widget before launching the BBO app.
"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
- R. Buckminster Fuller

#4 User is offline   suokko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:*dreaming*

Posted 2012-November-06, 15:43

View Postfred, on 2012-November-05, 11:59, said:

The app actually tries to prevent Android devices from going to sleep, but some devices do not seem to respect such settings. Sorry but I don't think there is anything more we can do about this. My only suggestion is that you change your phones settings so that it goes to sleep less frequently (at least when using the BBO app).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

From permissions it looks like you try to acquire wake lock manually. There is simpler and probably more robust way of acquiring wakelock trough window manager. That doesn't require permissions even so wakelock permission can be droped. http://stackoverflow...akelock-to-work

#5 User is offline   hirowla 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-08, 03:46

View Postfred, on 2012-November-05, 11:59, said:

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

I guess this is possible, but I know my phone runs other apps without blanking the screen (only specific ones). Hence I wasn't sure if you were trying to keep the screen on or not. Hopefully you can come up with another approach.

Regards,

Ian

#6 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-12, 07:56

Any progress on this front BBO? It is not immediately obvious to people who are not so familiar with their devices on how to resolve this and it is clearly a serious issue.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users