BBO Discussion Forums: (3D)-(5D), and I have game in hand - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(3D)-(5D), and I have game in hand

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-07, 23:39

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-March-08, 00:00

Really, what else is there?

Double then 5 is better in theory, but only if partner were to bid 5, which is improbable. In real life, he will pass far more often than he will bid. Slam is just way too optimistic.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-March-08, 00:22

5S. Maybe partner can raise, though I doubt it.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-08, 02:00

I like my chances on 6, partner is a favourite to hold 3 card support providing entries or a 5 card suit that could be clubs, while LHO is the least likely player to hold A or K. It could also be that 5+1 is better than bidding 6 though.

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-March-08, 03:59

6. K opposite will probably be enough.

Also, when we are going down because of a club loser, RHO won't know that, so he may save anyway. That won't happen that often, but if he has a source of tricks in hearts 7 may look cheap.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-08, 04:30

I am voting for 6 too.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-08, 05:39

This depends a lot on what's going on. MPs I'll try 6S.

IMPs it depends on whether the other table are likely to replicate the 3D-5D. For example I know one of my usual team-mates is a wimp and might not, thus allowing opps to exchange info and land in the right place (game or slam). Hence I think I have to try 6S just in case it's there (unless I was ahead in the match). But if team-mates will bid 3D-5D, it sounds right to take the 90+% plus in 5S.

ahydra

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-08, 09:34

6 here and no I don't make them all.

Surely rho didn't bid 5 to make. I guess it's possible but a longshot and if it's on big red suits I can make slam anyway.

The slam will fetch opposite a (magic) few spades and the T and partner is marked for more than that or rho would have passed 3. We may well be on for the unbiddable grand. In my younger days I would try 6 expecting a 6 response and then bid 6 trolling for a raise but I only torture partners in midnights now.

I was taught that if you can construct a suitable sub minimum for partner in under 10 seconds, bid it.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-March-08, 18:59

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-March-08, 09:34, said:

6 here and no I don't make them all.

Surely rho didn't bid 5 to make. I guess it's possible but a longshot and if it's on big red suits I can make slam anyway.

The slam will fetch opposite a (magic) few spades and the T and partner is marked for more than that or rho would have passed 3. We may well be on for the unbiddable grand. In my younger days I would try 6 expecting a 6 response and then bid 6 trolling for a raise but I only torture partners in midnights now.

I was taught that if you can construct a suitable sub minimum for partner in under 10 seconds, bid it.

Why do you assume rho did not bid 5Dto make. Give her a S void and there are many hands on which a 5D bid is bid to make.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-March-08, 19:59

6 seems middle of the road to me.

If rho bid 5 to make with a spade void I fancy my chances even more - the heart ace and club King rate to be onside and partner rates to have spade length which I can use as entries.

I have a two loser hand, one opponent has shown weakness, both opponents have bid my void suit, one lost can be covered by an ordinary finesse through the likely stronger of the opponents hands.

To those who count the fourth club as a loser there are so many ways to cover that I am not worrying about it in the bidding: club King, club length, club shortage, 3-3 break, ditch on possible long hearts in dummy, diamond ace
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-09, 07:05

preempts work keep using them---a 5s bid has 1 advantage that 6s
does not and that is if I want to take a penalty x there is a great
chance I might get to x 6c and it is far less likely I will get to
x 7c. This tactical advantage appears to be insufficient however. If
for some reason rho bid 5d to make us going down 2 in 6s is not that
big of a deal compared with going down 1 in 5s especially if rho has
a spade void and lots of hearts. The funny thing about 6s is the very
conditions that allow 5d to make might be all we need to make 6s.

xxxxx xx xx Txx is really all I need to make 6s a pretty darn good shot.
The hog points out that it is unlikely p will ever raise 5s and I agree
with him but asking for xxxx(x) and the club T just does not seem like
too much to ask from partner given the probable huge fit the opps have
in diamonds.

6S for me.

#12 User is offline   AnnC8 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-09, 08:47

Is this one of my goulash hands? lol...always scares me when it looks too good,,,hard not to bid 5!S

#13 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-09, 09:46

If the opening was 1 followed by 5 , I'd be inclined to bid 5 . But you have to fight preempts with aggression.

I'd go 6

#14 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-09, 13:09

View Postmikeh, on 2014-March-08, 00:00, said:

Really, what else is there?

There is 6. That's my bid. Partner rates to have A or K about 56% of the time with no other information, and on the auction, I rate it closer to 2/3 of the time. And even if he has neither, he might be able to save us with long hearts QJ and a late spade entry, or a club ruffing value.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#15 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-09, 15:15

View Postthe hog, on 2014-March-08, 18:59, said:

Give her a S void and there are many hands on which a 5D bid is bid to make.

And that gives partner 4+ spades making 6 a heavy favorite.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#16 User is offline   lariyol 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-09, 22:09

The right Bid is 5 . Because you have a partner. On your 5 bid, everytime he will have the A he will raise to 6. With the K and xxxx he will surely raise. With Jxx he will probably raise. And with a big hand like Jxx AQ he will call 7. So just bid your hand, and trust him.

#17 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 00:14

View Postlariyol, on 2014-March-09, 22:09, said:

The right Bid is 5 . Because you have a partner. On your 5 bid, everytime he will have the A he will raise to 6. With the K and xxxx he will surely raise. With Jxx he will probably raise. And with a big hand like Jxx AQ he will call 7. So just bid your hand, and trust him.

You must be a world class card holder. With the first three hands, my partner would pull out the 4 bidding card :P and cross their fingers with the 4th hand :D .

#18 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-11, 22:43

This hand was played against Wbridge5 (no internet access at the time). I figured there would be a split between 5 and 6 on the forums. I went back and forth; I was worried about entries to the North hand, but I felt there were too many hands where we make 6 because all the cards rated correct. As you can see, it wasn't a success...

What junk!
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-12, 00:18

MikeH chunks another 13 impsPosted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-March-12, 02:13

View Postchasetb, on 2014-March-11, 22:43, said:

This hand was played against Wbridge5 (no internet access at the time). I figured there would be a split between 5 and 6 on the forums. I went back and forth; I was worried about entries to the North hand, but I felt there were too many hands where we make 6 because all the cards rated correct. As you can see, it wasn't a success...

What junk!

No real surpise that it cannot make.

MrAce, why does MikeH chuck 13 imps? I assume that was sarcasm?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users