• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Going for a penalty

#1 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-10, 02:17

Matchpoints. West leads Q, which wins. Now he switches to J.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 04:00

10. It looks like LHO doesn't have the entry to take dummy's last trump.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-March-10, 10:22

No, but he can certainly find an entry in pard.

The opening lead and RHO's reverse seems to mark him with something like

AKxx
xxx
A
AJTxx

That seems to call for pulling trumps and duck a diamond for 1 down. However, this scenario leaves LHO with (1) way too little to double and (2) four spades to the QJ. I'm beginning to wonder whether RHO has instead a 5-3-0-5. Gnasher, is it normal for your RHO to open 1 on this shape? (Not that I know what to do in that case LOL.)

#4 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 10:25

Nuno: LHO promised a heart stopper so RHO has no more than one heart, quite possible a void.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-March-10, 10:33

Oh. Right.

I find it hard for LHO to have Jxxx and let go his natural trump trick. So I guess he has Jx or Jxx and plays "my way" (i.e. stoppers are for kids). Still, I fail to see what 10 might achieve... At table I might just run the trump suit to the end.

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 10:45

I would think that RHO is 5=0=2=6 and LHO is 3=5=4=1. I can't imagine LHO having four spades: He didn't make a negative double, and he didn't raise spades. But I can't solve the problem.

I want to make sure to take 6 tricks, since they will take 11 tricks in spades and the field will bid 4.

The legitimate way to make is if LHO has the singleton A. If LHO has a small club, I think East can stop me from taking 6 by leading clubs through me. But there may be ways to persuade East not to do that.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 13:19

silly question what did rho play to trick 2 after I played
small from dummy????

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 13:56

View Postgszes, on 2014-March-10, 13:19, said:

silly question what did rho play to trick 2 after I played
small from dummy????

Should we necessarily play 2 from dummy ?
Perhaps there is a reason why he did not tell you what RHO played and you were supposed to unblock T ? Posted Image

I did not check closely but if we assume that Rik's analysis is correct and we are shooting for 6 tricks (-500) after T rho can not play trump, and LHO if plays trump we score 6 spades tricks alone + a trick. (or if 5-0 hearts we can score 5+1 in blacks,) If he does not play trump we score a spade ruff. I did not check what happens if we do not unblock T. We may still score 6 spade tricks but it may depend on what they hold. I may be totally off and missing a cow flying in front of me, have to get a coffee first to stop my hangover Posted Image

I do not understand why Helene thinks E has AKJxx spade and W decided to lead Q from Qxx and has no entry. But it really does not matter i guess. Still it seems correct to play 2nd spade.

But i do not think RHO has 5-6 in the blacks. This is inconsistent with the bidding
(and perhaps the defense) . He is more likely to hold 5125 and decided to open 1 ? (i dunno England but it is common to open 1 from 5-5 in USA)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-March-10, 15:07

RHO would normally open 1 with 5-5 and 1 with 5-6.

When LHO bids 1NT, he normally has a heart stop and doesn't normally have four spades.

LHO would normally lead low from Qxx.

RHO will discard an encouraging club at trick one.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 15:51

View Postgnasher, on 2014-March-10, 15:07, said:

RHO would normally open 1 with 5-5 and 1 with 5-6.

When LHO bids 1NT, he normally has a heart stop and doesn't normally have four spades.

LHO would normally lead low from Qxx.

RHO will discard an encouraging club at trick one.

Ok most of those were predicted by other posters anyway. I stand corrected about 5-5 blacks possibility.

To continue my previous post about what can happen if we do not unblock T. Say we exit with T as Helene said. RHO takes and plays a (i think W has the A, unless he holds stiff club A and decided not to lead, which is weird, and you confirmed this by saying E encouraged clubs) W takes and play 2nd locking us in dummy. Now if we play a E takes it and gives W a club ruff,(Jumping A is no lose action however E has to be careful here by not killing his other entry which is spades to create a trump promo and continue clubs) W then cashes his A and exits with a spade to score another trump. If we play it does not change anything W will score the same tricks.

I already told the logic behind unblocking the T previously. I had hard time to construct a lay out where unblock costs while playing 2 wins.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-11, 04:31

Since East must have 5 spades and West a heart stopper, the J looks to me simply as an attempt to draw trumps while blocking the trump suit.
That way the defense can draw dummy's trumps and at the same time get club ruffs.
If West has 5 trumps and you do not unblock the T best defense will be able to come to 2 club ruffs, one of them being a trump sur coup, and avoid a spade ruff in dummy at the same time.
This would mean four down.

If you do not unblock the T:
East will win the second spade and push a low diamond through, not the Q. (which declarer should duck to establish diamond ruffs to hand.)
West will switch to a second trump.
Declarer can not overtake now and when declarer plays anything from the table the defense can engineer a club ruff and after cashing the second diamond and the third spade push another club (or spade) through.

If you play the T under the jack you win in hand and play a spade.
Now the defense can play a second trump only by allowing you to play 4 rounds of trumps.
In the end you will get 5 trump tricks and a minor suit trick that way or a spade ruff in dummy.
The defense gets 2 spades, 2 diamonds and a club and in addition either 2 ruffs or one trump trick and a third spade, but the defense cannot get 3 spade tricks and 2 trump tricks.
(East West can make 6, by establishing clubs for one loser, but this contract is not easy to reach)

Rainer Herrmann

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-March-11, 11:22

If that is the real hand, I'll have to ask whether Kelsey rose from the dead to play East :D

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-March-12, 02:18

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-March-11, 11:22, said:

If that is the real hand, I'll have to ask whether Kelsey rose from the dead to play East :D

That is the real hand. Rainer even has Q and J in the correct hands :)

At the table, there was a slight variation in the play: declarer played low from dummy at trick two, then another heart to the 10 and a club towards hand. East rose with the ace, gave a club ruff, won the spade continuation, and played a low diamond through declarer, so the defenders got all their tricks.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users