BBO Discussion Forums: What's your bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's your bid?

Poll: What's your bid? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you bid?

1. 3H (just strong and forcing, not promising trump support) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 4H (splinter) (9 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. 5H (not EKCB) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 3C (nat, forcing) (9 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

5. 4C (nat, game-forcing, not fit-showing) (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 2NT (good spade raise) (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

7. 4NT (RKCB) (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

8. 5S (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 5NT (GSF) (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

10. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-06, 08:20

Teams-of-four, you're playing a natural four-card major Acol system, 12-14 NT. You don't have an elaborate system of agreements, no fit-jumps or exclusion KCB, 2NT is a one-round force with 4+ spades.

What's the best start with this hand?

#2 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-06, 08:35

Don't know if it is best, but I'd splinter : 4!
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#3 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-March-06, 10:49

I need to know if your splinters are limited or can be any strength?

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 09:40

I think 4 is pretty appalling personally. We want the one-under splinter range to be tighter, not even wider than a normal splinter. I think I prefer a direct 5 to that. For me the choice is between 3, followed by 3 over 3red or 4 over 3, and 3. But I play 3 showing support and a quick review of the options in the poll has revealed that the OP does not, so that just leaves 3.

Edit: a further perusal has revealed 2NT as an option. If I can bid a natural 4 on the next round after this then that would be perfect, so please amend my vote accordingly.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 09:48

5nt grand slam force

#6 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 09:59

According to your bids list,2nt is a best choice for slam try,I think it is best to bid slowly with good hand .

#7 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 10:44

I do not pass up showing trick taking suits, 3C is F and I am going to play in at least 6S I suspect maybe 7, I am not concerned about being pre-empted either.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 17:14

View Postwank, on 2014-March-07, 09:48, said:

5nt grand slam force

Did you mean slam invitation and GS probe ? Or is GS force actually mean GS probe (i ain't trying to be a smart ass, sincerely asking if indeed it is called GS Force even though it is not forcing to GS. Perhaps i am confusing this terminology with GF/game force, which means to me "forcing to game")

@ OP: I play this 5 NT as GS invite depending on spade honors and i will use it here. Yeah, uh-huh, i know pd can hold something like Jxxxx KQx KQx Qx but i will take it.Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 17:15

i mean bid 7 with aq of trumps. it might not make but it's going to have some play and it's our best tool available.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 17:30

View Postwank, on 2014-March-07, 17:15, said:

i mean bid 7 with aq of trumps. it might not make but it's going to have some play and it's our best tool available.

Oh i totally agree with that, you replied at the same time when i edited my post and made it clear what was confusing me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-08, 10:14

Not a good time to get too aggressive opposite only 4-cards in spades so I'm going the slower route with 3.

5nt is looming if I can get partner to rebid the spades but I want to keep 7 in the picture if not.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-08, 15:52

I would be reluctant to support spades at this point (though 2NT would seem best if it was 5 spades), so 3 from me. I really want to hear a natural rebid from opener. Alternatively I would bid 3, which I hope would elicit a spade rebid on 5, provided that over say 3NT, 4 from me would be forcing with a long suit. I don't know how you play the continuations.

#13 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-11, 08:01

To answer an earlier question, we don't have an agreement about whether splinters are split-range. I'm trying to get one, but partner's not interested.

This was played at four tables opposite:

AJ10965 QJ96 7 Q6

Only one pair bid a small slam, the rest played in game.

My partner bid 3 and corrected 3NT (perhaps not the best rebid by me) to 4. When I asked her why she had not bid 5NT she said she was worried I might have opened with 10xxx. I thought 4 or 5 (presumably a void-splinter, if undiscussed) would be better bids than 3, but I couldn't decide whether that was better than showing the clubs first.

#14 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-11, 12:17

View Postwank, on 2014-March-07, 09:48, said:

5nt grand slam force

What are you going to do with your losers? What if can't be set up without losing a trick in a grand?

#15 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-March-11, 12:34

View Postneilkaz, on 2014-March-11, 12:17, said:

What are you going to do with your losers? What if can't be set up without losing a trick in a grand?

If partner only has 4 spades, he has 15+ points and there are almost certain to be enough tricks so assume he has 5. The only holding that causes a problem in the club suit really is xxx. Unless he has a lot wasted in the heart suit, the grand is unlikely to be bad. As little as AQxxx, Qxx, Kxx, xx is not a bad grand.

To follow the OP's auction, if I bid 3 I'd bid 5 over 3N and expect partner to bid 6 with the trump suit he has.

#16 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-11, 13:11

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-March-11, 12:34, said:

If partner only has 4 spades, he has 15+ points and there are almost certain to be enough tricks so assume he has 5. The only holding that causes a problem in the club suit really is xxx. Unless he has a lot wasted in the heart suit, the grand is unlikely to be bad. As little as AQxxx, Qxx, Kxx, xx is not a bad grand.

To follow the OP's auction, if I bid 3 I'd bid 5 over 3N and expect partner to bid 6 with the trump suit he has.

As you point out, what if PD has AQxxx, Kx, Qxx, xxx? My point remains that we should slow things down rather than an immediate GSF.

#17 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-March-11, 17:13

View Postneilkaz, on 2014-March-11, 13:11, said:

As you point out, what if PD has AQxxx, Kx, Qxx, xxx? My point remains that we should slow things down rather than an immediate GSF.

With as little system as the OP has (there are several bids I would like to make that I can't here), you are not going to be exact. Even opposite the worst hand you can come up with containing AQ, the grand is on clubs 2-2, at a guess it figures to be good a very large percentage of the time, certainly opposite me even more than you think as we open 5332s 1N or pass, never 1 so the rubbish hands you and I posted are impossible, and this is far from a unique arrangement, don't know about the pair involved here.

#18 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-March-11, 18:08

3C looks like a sensible start. Show where your source of tricks lies.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#19 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-18, 04:03

The list of options shows 4c as natural, game forcing. Why? Surely 4c can't be natural when 3c would be natural and forcing? For me 4c would agree spades and show 1st round control in clubs. It's clear that partner doesn't have 1st round control in diamonds so unless he has Ah he will likely bid 4s. Now I can try again with 5c and maybe hear 4d to show Kd, which would help a lot.
However, given the explanation of the agreements in the option list I was forced to choose 4h and then over the likely 4s I continue with 5c. Now it's not so easy to find out about Kd.

View PostVixTD, on 2014-March-06, 08:20, said:

Teams-of-four, you're playing a natural four-card major Acol system, 12-14 NT. You don't have an elaborate system of agreements, no fit-jumps or exclusion KCB, 2NT is a one-round force with 4+ spades.

What's the best start with this hand?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users