• You cannot reply to this topic

MP Scoring help MP scoring and tactics

#1 User is offline   geofspa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Skype .... geof_spa

Posted 2005-February-01, 13:47

Hi All

I am looking for some sort of resource that gives a simple (I am a simple soul) explanation of MP scoring and some bidding and play tactics .... does anyone out there have an idea where I can find something please

thanks

Geof
Bridge at BBO is more important than life ;-)

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2005-February-01, 14:00

It's actually quite simple: your score is compared with any other score. If you have more, then you get 1MP, if you have the same, you get 0.5MP, and if you have less you receive nothing. Suppose everybody scores 630, and you score 600, you get 0MP, where as if you manage to score 660 you get a top (maximum MP's possible).

As a consequence of this, you'll try to make as much tricks as possible, in every contract. Safety play isn't good enough, since 1 trick can make a difference of a lot of MP's! However, it still depends on the contract you're playing. If you know that nobody else will bid your magical slam, safety play is good enough. But (like I had a hand last night) if you're in another contract than the rest of the field (I was playing 3NT instead of 4), you'll need to count how much the field will score, and try to do better (I knew it was 4+1=450, so I had to make 3NT+2 to get a good score, and I even risked my contract for it).

Another hand I had last week is also a good example of tactics. I had following suit:

If I lost 2 tricks in this suit, I would go down one, but if I only lost 1 I make my contract. However, I played for 0 losers in the suit (A, and finesse), just to make +1. Seemed like the rest of the field did it as well. I told my partner that in imps I'd take another line which usually loses 1 trick, but I ALWAYS make my contract.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-February-01, 14:58

Well it is a little more than just make your contract. There are times when you play for down one, when there are lines that might make. There are times you play safe for your contract, not going all out to make an extra trick.... especially if you are in a great contract.

There are books on Matchpoint strategy, but maybe we can find something good on the internet for free....
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-February-01, 17:42

scroll down on the following link, which explains how to matchpoint:

http://www.baronbarc...om/MATCHPT.html

karen walker's matchpoint strategy:

http://www.prairiene...bridge/mpts.htm

and one more:

http://www.bridgecom...iefs/000704.htm
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#5 User is offline   geofspa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Skype .... geof_spa

Posted 2005-February-02, 01:34

Thanks for the links ... it seems now that I need to know if BBO tournaments use a simple movement in that NS stay NS and EW stay EW. If this is the case then I presume that there are 2 winners a NS winner and an EW winner. I am running a pairs timed barometer tourney anyone know how movements on BBO are implemented ?
Bridge at BBO is more important than life ;-)

#6 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2005-February-02, 03:11

geofspa, on Feb 1 2005, 07:47 PM, said:

Hi All

I am looking for some sort of resource that gives a simple (I am a simple soul) explanation of MP scoring and some bidding and play tactics .... does anyone out there have an idea where I can find something please

thanks

Geof

I strongly suggest to purchase and read the GREAT book by Kit Woolsey, "Matchpoints".
This covers the bidding tactics.

For card play tactics (DECLARER: different ways to combine chances, how to handle safety plays, stealing overtricks, "safety" plays to secure 1 down, etc; DEFENSE: opening lead choice, cashout situations, deceptions to lure declarer into overtrick, etc) and the subtle nuances vs IMPS strategy, read Hugh Kelsey's "Matchpoint bridge"
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users