BBO Discussion Forums: Which opening bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Which opening bid?

#21 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-23, 10:36

View PostMrAce, on 2014-January-23, 10:32, said:

He made a search in yahoo search engine i guess. What else can it be ?

...well, yes. That much was obvious. I was just curious as to why he was using an alternative (and solely from my experience, inferior) engine to that of our lords and masters Google. I really didn't think people still used Yahoo as a search engine. (sorry for derail)
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-23, 10:42

View Postbroze, on 2014-January-23, 10:36, said:

...well, yes. That much was obvious. I was just curious as to why he was using an alternative (and solely from my experience, inferior) engine to that of our lords and masters Google. (sorry for mini-derail)

My gf uses yahoo too, i dunno why they do that, probably some people do not give up easily on such things they are used to. For example it took me long time to give up on OKB and come BBO, i had hard time to get use to the software, just like i resist now going to web version.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-23, 10:50

I wasn't looking for a critique of how I found the link. I have google search and Yahoo search, and accidentally found what I was looking for toward the top of the Yahoo results.

Sorry I mentioned the method. Thought maybe someone might be interested in more than one search engine if they have trouble finding what they want with the keywords they use on their favorite one.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-23, 11:01

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-January-23, 10:50, said:

I wasn't looking for a critique of how I found the link.

Not a critique - just curious. Wondered if you were holding a boycott.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#25 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-January-23, 11:15

View Postbroze, on 2014-January-23, 11:01, said:

Not a critique - just curious. Wondered if you were holding a boycott.

I use what I am comfortable with, or what is easier to get at from the page I am on; then, try something else when that fails. I don't even know what "Bing" means; no agenda. The method I used showed other links than the one I provided in response to Steph's request, which people could also find if they used the same search. They might also find the results just as easily using a different engine, or not.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#26 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-January-23, 22:44

While K&R hates balanced hands, this really is a quite poor 15 count. Playing weak NT I downgrade it and open 1NT and will then accept all invites. Playing strong NT I open 1NT and will refuse all invites. Note that if PD has a 5 card major we may end up OK after 1NT. I open 1NT playing either for simplicity of putting my hand into a range and to avoid opening this poor suit.

I'd not criticize PD at all for 1 or 1NT as this hand is a tweener between 12-14 and 15-17.

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-January-27, 05:15

If you are looking for something specific and unusual then Google is often not the best search engine. I used Altavista for this purpose for years before they got bought out and sidelined. The point is that Google is great for finding the things that are wanted by most users but can be quite bad at finding niche sites. Sometimes you just want a dump of all results more than "intelligent" sorting and filtering.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users