BBO Discussion Forums: ridiculous or waht ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

ridiculous or waht ? GIB explanations says partial stop in H ...

#1 User is offline   arya_01 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-23, 23:18

I just re-bid 3NT because my partner the robot bid 2NT

http://tinyurl.com/lxz86xn

I wish I knew how to past a picture here .. but anyhow,

N-E-S-W bidding went P-p-1D-p-2NT-p-3NT

looking at my partner (north) hand you see AKT-54-J62-KT853
the explanation said partial stop in S,H, and C

with my 13 hcp , I went ahead and bid 3NT,
North robot made 3NT when East switched from H to S at trick two
it looks like two wrongs make a right

any body have any idea how 54 in H would consitute a partial stopper ?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-24, 02:42

N should have started 2 but GIB does and explain things only known to god and its programmer now and then.

As you probably observed GIB also plays the way it plays only known to god and its programmer as well. GIB did its best to go down had W held Jxxx . Starting to play the club suit by cashing K was....oh well....Posted Image You already mentioned switching from to spade suit. But this may not actually be as bad as the play by N. GIB E probably played N for holding the A due to explanation of 2 NT.

Do not lose your faith in GIB though, especially for the N/B level, GIB plays better than any other N/B player in long run. Impo GIB plays better than big majority of intermediate players in long run as well. Did you try setting the GIB speed to slower, because it helps GIB to do better in JAVA version, and i think the GIB in web version is much better than the old one.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-January-24, 22:55

#4 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-24, 23:14

GIB isn't a great bidding teacher.
You can consider the fact that if responder bids NT after a minor-suit opening, it means he has no four-card major to bid. That leaves him with at least seven minor-suit cards, so he must have a four-card minor, so you must have a minor-suit fit.
That being said, it's much harder to take 11 tricks than 9, so 3NT still seems like a good bid, to me, unless you have methods to tell whether you belong in 5m or 3NT, and you don't with GIB. If GIB doesn't have a heart stopper you will lose at least two heart tricks in either contract, and for 5m it would be harder to recover since you'd have to win all the rest.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-25, 01:04

View Postarya_01, on 2014-January-23, 23:18, said:

I wish I knew how to past a picture here

Here is your hand

To do this yourself:
Click on the link that you posted.
Copy the resulting expanded URL shown in the new handviewer window, into the clipboard.
Paste the link into a text editor such as notepad (disabling wordwrap)
replace the leading text "http://www.bridgebas...handviewer.html?" with "[ h v = " (excluding the quotes and remove all spaces, ie between "[" and "h" etc - I had to put in the spaces to post here else it would have started posting another hand diagram)
Append the text "]380|270[/hv]" (excluding quotes) to the end of the string. The numbers denote the dimensions of the diagram, and you can change these.
Copy the entire edited package to the clipboard and paste it into your post.

There is a pinned thread that discusses this, here
http://www.bridgebas...post__p__612249

Turning to the hand itself, describing it as "ridiculous" is an overbid. GIB does much worse things on occasion. As a general rule, if you have combined values for game, no major fit, and both hands are (fairly) balanced, you will not go far wrong in the long term if you forget about looking to ensure that all suits are guarded and just blast 3N. On this hand you have 9 top tricks on a non-heart lead, and yes a heart lead is the most likely but not certain. Swap East and West, for example.

So in answer to the question "ridiculous or waht?", in respect of the bidding my answer would be "waht".

The defensive error is more worthy of comment than the bidding, in my view. Why did West not overtake the K and return the suit?

GIB plays very few defensive signals, but as I understand it the one signal that it DOES play is an attitude signal on the A or K lead (high encouraging). Given that West does not play the Ace from that holding (and presumably East knows this as it is operating under the same program) the play of the 7, given the available spot cards and the fact that North has denied a 4 card major, can only indicate the presence of the Ace.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users