BBO Discussion Forums: Help... When a Redouble Isn't Enough (for the partnership to bear) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help... When a Redouble Isn't Enough (for the partnership to bear)

#1 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-08, 16:08

I played S in the hand above, and after reviewing the hand I'm still not sure of the best way to bid the hand. I am sure there are a number of lessons to be learned here so all comments will be welcomed. Among the questions I hope will be addressed:

) After E doubles how should S bid?

) After W bids 2S how should N bid

) When the auction comes back to S how should he bid?

) The appropriateness of trap-passing at various stages of the auction.

) How the above may change were the vulnerability to be reversed.

#2 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-08, 16:28

Many play that South's redouble shows Kx or Ax in partner's suit (Rosenkranz). Even without that agreement, I would think it would indicate something more in the suit than two small, and not be for general takeout.

I would bid 2 at that point. The hand already looks like a horrid misfit (East has suggested nothing in spades, so partner probably has some, leaving little room for red cards), so I'm going slow, and in the actual case I might get to play it there. Not sure what I'd do if the auction came back around, but it would be pretty conservative unless partner found a diamond bid (he could be 3145 or some such).

After the actual XX (2), North should probably bid 3 unless he's sure his partner will take a Double as penalty, in which case, Blam.

At South's second turn here, I have sympathy for 3, 3, 3, and Double. Offhand I'd say 3 = 10, X = 9, 3 = 7, 3 = 5. I'm happy to be persuaded otherwise. :)
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#3 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-08, 18:21

If I'm reading the redouble as "strength, no fit", then north has the most obvious double of 2 in the world. At which point, we just sit back and wait for them to finally pull out two green cards in succession (we, of course, have nothing but red ones).

I'm not sure I can read the redouble as anything else without specific agreement (Rosenkranz as above, or the like).

If I'm wrong about the redouble, of course, then all bets are off. So, what was the redouble? Surely it can't be "I have the other two suits, too" without showing "strength, no fit"?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2014-January-08, 18:23

If your agreement is that XX shows general strength, and no clear fit, which it appears that S believes, then N should 100% make a penalty double of 2. With 9+ cards in the black suits for partner, and spades behind the bidder/hearts over the negative doubler, it looks right to me to pass the X as South despite the void.

If XX means something else conventional, then I would give up on it, instead bidding 2, non-forcing but constructive. Its an underbid, but not by much.
Chris Gibson

#5 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-08, 19:19

redouble was value-showing, promises 8+ points and the desire the willingness to play for penalty in at least 1 unbid suit

it suggests no good club fit but doesn't rule out many hand with 3 clubs

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-January-08, 21:57

View Postmonikrazy, on 2014-January-08, 19:19, said:

redouble was value-showing, promises 8+ points and the desire the willingness to play for penalty in at least 1 unbid suit

it suggests no good club fit but doesn't rule out many hand with 3 clubs

Then North's failure to double for penalty is just as bad as South's jump to game bid in a suit that the opps have very strongly implied from their neg X.

#7 User is offline   yleexotee 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-08, 22:06

X the 2s and the ops will run to 3d for a comfortable down 1 (well, maybe down 3)

#8 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-08, 22:06

I would bid 2 as South regardless of what redouble means, and would not pass North's double of 2 with a void under any circumstances.

#9 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-09, 03:39

#Q1: XX by South is fine, the XX should set up a forcing pass seq., at least up to 3C
This is the way you described XX 8+ HP, 3 card support possible, if you lack the
support you need add. HCP (this addon comes from me).
#Q2 / #Q3: X - penalty, in a forcing pass seq. X is usually played as penalty
The failure by North to double means North either has a penalty double or not,
assuming North denied a penalty double 3H is enough
#Q5: Change in vulnerability does not really matter, being red vs. green you may opt to try
for 3NT instead of going for blood, playing MP - playing IMPs take the money.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-09, 07:12

View Postmycroft, on 2014-January-08, 18:21, said:

If I'm reading the redouble as "strength, no fit", then north has the most obvious double of 2 in the world. At which point, we just sit back and wait for them to finally pull out two green cards in succession (we, of course, have nothing but red ones).

I don't think that is realistic. When we redouble we encourage partner to penalise them. So when he doubles 2 he doesn't promise great spades. QTx would be plenty.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-11, 13:31

No-one else is passing as N? A reopening X from P might be a bit much to hope for, but it's not like we have any tricks outside the 5 1/2 Cs, and we might get to double a later contract.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users