• You cannot reply to this topic

Your turn

#21 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-16, 13:23

View PostMrAce, on 2013-December-16, 05:14, said:

Btw, what do you think of 2 Andy ? By South over 2 and not playing wjs.

It wouldn't be my choice. Double just looks obvious, because it keeps diamonds in the picture and describes our strength better. We know that partner doesn't have enough to leap in clubs.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#22 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-December-16, 13:43

View PostMrAce, on 2013-December-16, 02:43, said:

This was what pd had, open room played part score in spades after South made a "reasonable" 2 bid, other table bid and made 6 (idk their auction at the other table) Which was -15 imps

Obviously getting to 6 is a huge result.

North here though doesn't have a pass over 2 and doesn't have a pass over 2.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#23 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-December-16, 13:50

View Postmikeh, on 2013-December-16, 10:46, said:

I have no idea, and I suspect you don't, either, about how NS would or even could plausibly reach 6 if S were to reopen with your suggested double.

I think there is a fighting chance that they can get to slam over 2 by south.

If this north hand is consistent with a pass then I think a subsequent 3 by south might show this great fit - otherwise pass 2. Now south with Qxx can imagine a likely AK and K opposite and just about bid 6 on the fly - but would certainly become extremely optimistic.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#24 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-December-16, 14:11

I play that 2S here show 9-11 since with 5-8 I would have bid 2H(transfers) or 2S before

but here X is much better. Partner will often have a stiff S here and since my spades are Ace empty playing in D rate to be a lot better.

KQJxxx
Axx
x
xxx

Is the perfect 2S call for me.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#25 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-16, 14:27

I agree that 2 was a bad call, he should double. Even if 2 now shows invitational values (as I play it). In a dream world N makes a choice of game cuebid after the double while showing short hearts and S leaps to the diamond slam. This might be easier on paper though. :rolleyes:

An immediate 2 would not have been WJS? What would it have been then, please not a strong jump shift in competition. :( NS might deserve their bad result just for playing such a silly method... :)
Michael Askgaard

#26 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-16, 15:20

View Postjogs, on 2013-December-16, 09:45, said:

Hands fit perfectly.

Is there a game with these hands?

There is not ? What's so bad about the hand you contructed in 4 spades? 3-2 spades is what you need most of the time ? You may conveniently lead spade from KJx Kxx KQx Qxx QJx etc etc trump holdings or you may construct 3-2 spades and the guys who holds 2 will also have a stiff and would only compete to 2 level...I never said this will always be a cold game but since when are we bidding only cold games at teams ?

@ Mike : I did not suggest double. I was kibitzing and thought 2 was gross underbid of the hand. reason i posted is i really wanted to know what was the best bid. I admit i would go with DBL if i was S. I would never blame anyone for not reaching to slam with NS hands, as i would not either but i thought at teams any decent pair should easily reach game, regardless of it makes or not.

View PostCascade, on 2013-December-16, 13:50, said:

I think there is a fighting chance that they can get to slam over 2 by south..

Interesting, i totally disagree, respectfully of course, but we are way too far from each other in opinions regarding NS hands that i don't even know how to debate this. I would bid 2 with KQxxxx xxx Jxx x or similar weak hands is all i can say, so you know why i think 2 is bizzarre bid to me. 2 Aces ? 6 card suit ? Qxx in pd's first suit which is 4+ card most of the time, and a side stiff ? No way i am bidding 2

View Postmfa1010, on 2013-December-16, 14:27, said:

An immediate 2 would not have been WJS?

No, and i dunno what they play 2 in competition tbh. I would think they play it something complicated and nothing to do with spades, but don;t take my word on it, i am just guessing.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#27 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-December-16, 18:33

View PostCascade, on 2013-December-16, 13:43, said:

Obviously getting to 6 is a huge result.

North here though doesn't have a pass over 2 and doesn't have a pass over 2.

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about. I agree with Wayne's post.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#28 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-17, 05:53

View Postthe hog, on 2013-December-16, 18:33, said:

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about. I agree with Wayne's post.

Yup, our senior wc N player is not as good as Wayne but he has been around for a while. Won couple of world wide events too.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#29 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-17, 10:06

Recurring problem that is much easier with intermediate js (8-11). -- kenrexford

*** Yes, put a bottom on the 6xS hands. Then this becomes a minimum
for 1S then 2S rebid - promoting Q in partner's suit + 2xA.

#30 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2013-December-17, 10:49

View Postdake50, on 2013-December-17, 10:06, said:

Recurring problem that is much easier with intermediate js (8-11). -- kenrexford

*** Yes, put a bottom on the 6xS hands. Then this becomes a minimum
for 1S then 2S rebid - promoting Q in partner's suit + 2xA.

Yes -- you could do it either way. WJS allows 1...2 to show the 8-11, or immediate 1minor-2MAJOR as 8-11 also works. The upside to the direct intermediate rather than the WJS and then inferential extras is that you end up better placed in some sequences, but either works OK.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#31 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-December-17, 18:21

View PostMrAce, on 2013-December-17, 05:53, said:

Yup, our senior wc N player is not as good as Wayne but he has been around for a while. Won couple of world wide events too.

Even someone who has been around for a while can make a stupid bid, or pass as in this situation.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#32 User is offline   LH2650 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-17, 18:33

I do not play Good/Bad 2 Notrump, but is this the place for it? Presumably North could show a minimum hand with 6 diamonds. Would this help South in his evaluation?

#33 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-17, 19:17

View Postthe hog, on 2013-December-17, 18:21, said:

Even someone who has been around for a while can make a stupid bid, or pass as in this situation.

Yes but you have been saying this for years now and you have been told so many times by a lot of top players in this forum that it may actually be you, who is wrong. But you tend to believe, each and every time a very good player does not bid like you, made a stupid bid. You even called names to another top player here in forums, the guy won a lot of nationals and then the US trials and almost won the BB a little after that. You posted in this topic because you wanted to continue your drama with Kenrexford which started in an other recent topic.

You conveniently stay away from all declarer play and defense topics, because you know pimpin ain't easy in those topics. But you can jump in and call names or say nasty things to Rainer or others in a bidding topic. As Justin said once, it is almost impossible to prove someone wrong when it comes to bidding.

I would have bid 3 myself with N hand if i was N. But i do not think pass is stupid at all. It all depends on what pd would think of 3 bid. Perhaps JEC would expect much more than that and that's why Benito did not bid 3, or maybe.... simply he did not think this hand worth 3. Idk.

And that's also why i wrote earlier in this topic, that being so shy or conservative in bidding can hit you in multiple ways, even when you are not the one who is making a bid. Because it does not matter what your pd think is right, he will tend to make calls what you think of it. After all you will be the one who is receiving the info and making something out of it. I am not saying this was the case, but i am guessing, it may as well be.

#34 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-December-17, 21:29

"You posted in this topic because you wanted to continue your drama with Kenrexford which started in an other recent topic."
Do I? Most interesting.
"You conveniently stay away from all declarer play and defense topics, because you know pimpin ain't easy in those topics."
News to me. But why call yourself a pimp? Low self esteem?

#35 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-December-18, 00:47

I really hate north pass over 2H. I would either make a support double if available, if the double show extras I would just bid 2S. 3D is also better than pass but KT is more than enough to raise. Of course when south bid 2S (X is just better) north has a super-duper easy raise to 3S.

The way the hand was bid tell me it should have been posted in I/A forum.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#36 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-18, 02:06

View Postthe hog, on 2013-December-17, 21:29, said:

"You conveniently stay away from all declarer play and defense topics, because you know pimpin ain't easy in those topics."
News to me. But why call yourself a pimp? Low self esteem?

Re read, you may eventually understand what i meant Posted Image But i strongly doubt it Posted Image

View PostLH2650, on 2013-December-17, 18:33, said:

I do not play Good/Bad 2 Notrump, but is this the place for it? Presumably North could show a minimum hand with 6 diamonds. Would this help South in his evaluation?

Yes, if N had a way of separating good and bad 3 bids, this would improve S hand by a lot. I guess this was not available though.

View Postbenlessard, on 2013-December-18, 00:47, said:

The way the hand was bid tell me it should have been posted in I/A forum.

Why do you say that ? Is it because every bid in this auction was obviously misbid ? And would be a problem only for I/A players but not experts ?

Lets see.... Andy says N should bid 3 he is worldn class player up to BBO, at least an expert to most of us, Mike is world class player and at least an expert to most of us, and he says 3 is not as clear to him, Benito Garozzo thinks his hand not worth 3, me and some other BBF members think 2 by S was bad bid while some others think it is reasonable. Another one suggested a pass, if it was MP. Ohh and also, NS are expert players, it is very normal to seek the opinions of their colleagues, no ?

#37 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 09:46

I found this hand to be interesting and also would not have passed with the north hand but that's a complete left turn from the original post.

Sure 6 is a huge result but I can imagine that the pass of 2 by north should actually improve the chances of getting there. Of course parking it in 2 sucks but I posted earlier that after 2

double - 2
3 - 3 should give you a chance.

Without knowing how the other pair did it we'll never know but I can't see it after an immediate 3 bid. Anyone have a guess as to how you might at least sniff the slam now?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#38 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-18, 15:57

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-December-18, 09:46, said:

Without knowing how the other pair did it we'll never know but I can't see it after an immediate 3 bid. Anyone have a guess as to how you might at least sniff the slam now?

I will try to find it for you

#39 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-December-18, 16:08

1 = 1+ diamond 11/15

2 = either 6+ spade NF or 5+ spade inv +

I don't see any other alert in the bidding. your guess is as good as mine for the rest of the auction.

EW hands are

#40 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-December-18, 20:05

View Postmfa1010, on 2013-December-16, 14:27, said:

An immediate 2 would not have been WJS? What would it have been then, please not a strong jump shift in competition. :( NS might deserve their bad result just for playing such a silly method... :)

I think that fit is a lot more common.

View PostMrAce, on 2013-December-18, 02:06, said:

Why do you say that ? Is it because every bid in this auction was obviously misbid ? And would be a problem only for I/A players but not experts ?

It has been said many times that the expert forum is for expert topics, not to get the opinions of experts, who post their thoughts in the other forums as well.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users