Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play problem in 6S Precision auction

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2014-February-26, 10:12

Plan the play from here. Also, if you object to the play of the hand so far, or the bidding (precision, transfer based), feel free to comment on that as well.

East shows up with the K of diamonds if you cash the ace at any point.
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-26, 11:37

Ruff two diamonds whilst drawing trumps, then KQ.

If East had four clubs, guess the heart layout. If East has A, the next two winners squeeze him without the count. We'll probably know the entire diamond suit at the point of making the decision, as East will probably throw all of his spare ones away in order to keep two hearts.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-28, 07:18

View Postgnasher, on 2014-February-26, 11:37, said:

Ruff two diamonds whilst drawing trumps, then KQ.

If East had four clubs, guess the heart layout. If East has A, the next two winners squeeze him without the count. We'll probably know the entire diamond suit at the point of making the decision, as East will probably throw all of his spare ones away in order to keep two hearts.

THere is a bit more to the timing than that gnasher, for example, If spades are 2-2 I can survive a 4-1 club break by ruffing a club before I ruff a diamond. If clubs are 3-2 I only need to ruff one diamond. Is that not more likely than the squeeze? Is there any cost to ruffing one diamond and then drawing two rounds of trumps? 5-0 clubs might be embarassing, but it must be better.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-February-28, 12:12

View Postphil_20686, on 2014-February-28, 07:18, said:

THere is a bit more to the timing than that gnasher, for example, If spades are 2-2 I can survive a 4-1 club break by ruffing a club before I ruff a diamond. If clubs are 3-2 I only need to ruff one diamond. Is that not more likely than the squeeze? Is there any cost to ruffing one diamond and then drawing two rounds of trumps? 5-0 clubs might be embarassing, but it must be better.

take another look at the OP and follow the play to trick 1: a trump was led, and rho showed out, so it is safe to assume that they weren't 2-2 :P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users