BBO Discussion Forums: Bridge popularity around the world - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge popularity around the world

#1 User is offline   Lesh18 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-05, 17:36

Hi all!

In which countries is Bridge most popular? Why is it so? I've heard that Bridge is quite popular in Poland and on BBO there are many Italians and Turkish people too.
Are there any historic reasons for this?

If you know a website which discusses bridge popularity around the world (or at least Europe) that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-December-05, 21:27

China

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-06, 04:59

Bridge is extremely popular in the Netherlands. I think the popularity of "Klaverjassen", a simpler but somewhat similar game, is part of the reason. It creates a stepping stone for learning bridge. Another factor is that the Netherlands has an "association culture" which is good for duplicate bridge.

Bridge is also very popular in Iceland.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-December-06, 05:08

We often say that bridge is more popular in northrend countries because they cannot play soccer while its very cold, not sure if this is a very important factor actually.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-December-06, 05:23

If that theory holds we can blame the demise of bridge on global warming.

But I don't think many of the upper class couples who take up bridge when they retire do so because it is too cold for playing football. Maybe because it is too cold/wet for playing golf. Here in England, bridge is a game which is played in the lunch rooms of golf clubs when it is raining.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-December-07, 00:01

Popularity would mean knowing how many people play bridge in any form. There's little hard data on that.
What we can do is look at the bridge organization membership numbers by country. See http://www.worldbrid...phic-zones.aspx as a source.
Then think in terms of current population. Netherlands and Francs stand out - I understand they have well developed school instruction programs. Sweden's Players/1000 population should be high too.

I seem to recall historical information that suggested 10% of HHs in North America the USA play bridge. There are 114.7 MM HHs in the USA, so we might expect anywhere from 23-36 MM people play the game in the USA. Of these nearly 160000 are members of the ACBL. That's 0.7-1.0% of the playing population. Hmmmmm.......
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-07, 03:45

View PostLesh18, on 2013-December-05, 17:36, said:

Hi all!

In which countries is Bridge most popular? Why is it so? I've heard that Bridge is quite popular in Poland and on BBO there are many Italians and Turkish people too.
Are there any historic reasons for this?

If you know a website which discusses bridge popularity around the world (or at least Europe) that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

It is mostly popular in countries which produces more BBO experts than others. Of course my mainland (Turkey) will win the contest by far Posted Image

Joke aside, i think the popularity should be calculated via bridge players/ population ratio, rather than the number of players each country have.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-December-08, 02:36

130 players in Mongolia. Looks like I'll have my work cut out when I move there....

#9 User is online   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-December-08, 06:57

View Postmr1303, on 2013-December-08, 02:36, said:

130 players in Mongolia. Looks like I'll have my work cut out when I move there....

Looking at your profile, I expect that it will be significantly easier to find a place to play bridge than go surfing...
Alderaan delenda est

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-December-08, 07:47

View PostSteveMoe, on 2013-December-07, 00:01, said:

Popularity would mean knowing how many people play bridge in any form. There's little hard data on that.
What we can do is look at the bridge organization membership numbers by country. See http://www.worldbrid...phic-zones.aspx as a source.
Then think in terms of current population. Netherlands and Francs stand out - I understand they have well developed school instruction programs. Sweden's Players/1000 population should be high too.

I seem to recall historical information that suggested 10$ of HHs in North America the USA play bridge. There are 114.7 MM HHs in the USA, so we might expect anywhere from 23-36 MM people play the game in the USA. Of these nearly 160000 are members of the ACBL. That's 0.7-1.0% of the playing population. Hmmmmm.......

I find amazing that Botswana has more members than any south american country, Argentina having less than 500 is amazing.

#11 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-December-08, 12:29

In the Flemish part of Belgium we have 5400 members from 6.4 million people, not extremely popular but not unpopular either. I don't have exact numbers from the French part of our country, but I have the impression bridge is a little bit more popular over there. But compared to the Netherlands we're nowhere...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#12 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-December-09, 00:13

View PostFluffy, on 2013-December-08, 07:47, said:

I find amazing that Botswana has more members than any south american country, Argentina having less than 500 is amazing.

Perhaps we can't overlook the capacity/ability of the home organizations to recruit and retain members.....
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-December-09, 00:18

Or to make them pay their fees. Pretty sure the stats are significantly off, depending on what membership fees are for each country, or on how much players desire to record their masterpoints. Although for competitional purposes those players who belong to a NBO and pay their membership are more relevant than casual bridge players.

#14 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-09, 10:57

View PostFluffy, on 2013-December-08, 07:47, said:

Perhaps former British colony vs. former Spanish colony is a factor?

EDIT: It appears it is. From Phillip Alder's NYT column in 2008:

We have all heard about missionaries spreading religion to the far reaches of the globe. But now we have a different kind of missionary. In May, John Pain, the manager of the English Bridge Union’s education department, traveled to Botswana, in south central Africa, to coach teachers and tournament directors so they could spread the message of bridge.

Pain was building on a solid foundation. Bridge has enjoyed popularity in Botswana for nearly 30 years. It was introduced to high school students by expatriate British teachers. Now the Botswana Bridge Federation has more than 800 members, out of a population of nearly two million. There are also several hundred children playing, more than in any other African nation. Botswana will even send three teams, open, under-28 and under-21, to Beijing in October to the first World Mind Sports Games.

If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#15 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-December-09, 21:30

Botswana have at least one group of eight fairly decent players. I have seen this same group on a number of occasions in tournaments where there is prize money at stake in tournaments in and near Johannesburg, South Africa. One pair came in third the last time I saw them.

#16 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-10, 03:25

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-December-09, 10:57, said:

Perhaps former British colony vs. former Spanish colony is a factor?

EDIT: It appears it is. From Phillip Alder's NYT column in 2008:

They also play netball and cricket and lawn bowls, which you won't see much of in South America.

#17 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-10, 03:27

It's also interesting how Russia has few great bridge players but of course loads of chess players, whereas Italy has few chess grandmasters over the years. Just a choice of direction by the available talent ?

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-10, 04:37

Chess is a game where you have to reach a very advanced level early to have a chance*. The former Soviet Union had a system in place where they picked the most likely children out of schools and gave them special training. If they showed talent then they were developed into GMs, if not then they went back to school. I am not sure if the current Russia still uses such tactics but there is a tradition of chess there now that will take some time to go away. I am not sure why Italy first came to prominence in bridge circles but clearly after so much success from the Blue Team there is something of a tradition there too. You are possibly correct that if Italy did suddenly produce a world chess champion it might have a negative impact on their bridge team down the line. That is much less so for countries like America and Russia - they have a large enough player pool to absorb such "defections".

*: the most notable exception to this was Victor Korchnoi who was a very late bloomer in chess terms. This probably explains his unusual, and sometimes unfathomable, style of play.
(-: Zel :-)

#19 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-11, 15:54

View PostFree, on 2013-December-08, 12:29, said:

In the Flemish part of Belgium we have 5400 members from 6.4 million people, not extremely popular but not unpopular either. I don't have exact numbers from the French part of our country, but I have the impression bridge is a little bit more popular over there. But compared to the Netherlands we're nowhere...

Doesn't Belgium have some kind of national bridge association*, or is everything divided by language? Is the bilingual Brussel/Bruxelles included in your statistics?

* According to the European Bridge League website, the "Belgian Bridge Federation" has 7,561 members.

#20 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-11, 18:17

Regarding Botswana, I've noticed that the Gaborone Ladies Bridge Club participates in a lot of UK-run simultaneous pairs events.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users