BBO Discussion Forums: 2-0-5-6 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

2-0-5-6 1 Point

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-November-29, 05:46

Worth pre-empting here? If so what with!?

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 06:18

3 for me, unless 4NT shows this hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 06:45

helene, did someone remove the green cards from your box? :)

Admittedly it's a matter of partnership style but I'd never consider bidding 3x on a 9-high 6-card suit, even when the vul and position is perfect.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 07:07

1NT if 15-17. This can work particularly well when they play a conventional double ... Oh whoops - just noticed this is the novice forum. You can reasonably get stuck in with 3 but I prefer going big and opening 4.

If one is considering making one's first ever psyche, never do so in a very short suit. Experience shows that a really clever bid such as 1 tends to work spectacularly badly.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 07:36

1NT is a good gambit albeit not without risk. Notwithstanding Phil's comment about short suits, I have psyched 1 a time or 2 with a hand like this - playing Drury would make that even more appealing. I think I prefer 2 to 3 all things considered. A NT opening (mostly 2 or 4) to show both minors would be an obvious contender.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 11:27

In EHAA, this is not only a 3 opener at this vulnerability, but a maximum. Of course, West has the biggest hand he's ever seen...

With one partner I played EHAA with, we decided to keep the aggression of the preempts (at least for 3M), allowing more HCP, of course, in our regular system. Opposite a pass, so that 3NT is out of the question, I'd probably bid 3 here as well with him.

Normally? Well, what can partner do to hang you? Not much. However, is partner going to freak at -1100 into game or -800 into air? Maybe not, then. Otherwise...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 13:30

View Postmycroft, on 2013-November-29, 11:27, said:

In EHAA, this is not only a 3 opener at this vulnerability, but a maximum. Of course, West has the biggest hand he's ever seen...

With one partner I played EHAA with, we decided to keep the aggression of the preempts (at least for 3M), allowing more HCP, of course, in our regular system. Opposite a pass, so that 3NT is out of the question, I'd probably bid 3 here as well with him.

Normally? Well, what's partner going to do to hang you? Not much. Is partner going to freak at -1100 into game or -800 into air? Maybe not, then. Otherwise...

Now granted some of us learned EHAA before any other bidding system but not sure that is true for novices in 2013 :)

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 14:21

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-November-29, 07:07, said:

1NT if 15-17. This can work particularly well when they play a conventional double ... Oh whoops - just noticed this is the novice forum.

One partner of mine contends that 2nt is the best psyche.

Given this forum and the fact that it takes a lot of time to develop a sense of humor over a spectacularly bad result I think you have to pass. Let the opponents (hopefully) wander in to a 4-4 heart contract with a horrible split or maybe stick in a 1 or 2nt bid at your next turn.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2013-November-30, 15:56

So, what was the complete hand like?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#10 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-30, 23:50

Passing is pathetic. If the op is good enough to ask, he's good enough to get a sensible answer.

3c is middle of the road imo

#11 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-December-01, 02:40

3c and hope this keeps them out of slam
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-December-02, 08:06

Thanks folks, I don't remember the whole hand on this but I opened 3C and they ended in 3N scoring 11 tricks.

Cheers,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#13 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-02, 11:23

So, can they make 6M? If so, you win. If not, you lose. Matchpoints with 4M making only 5, you lose big. That's preempts for you :-)

Even if you lose, you get one win - your opponents know you can bid like this. So next time when your third-seat 3 is KQJxxxx and an outside A, you have a little surprise for them in 3NT.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#14 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-02, 15:45

the chances of the opps not scoring up a game have to be between slim and none since they
rate to have 29+ hcp. The idea of a preempt here seems highly logical and the only question is
do we try and show both minors or simply bash out a club bid and hope diamonds isn't our best spot?

Don't even think about craziness like 1h or 1s which is nothing more than playing las vegas since
p (not in on the joke) might easily propel us into the stratosphere of sacrifices all the while being under
the delusion you actually have length in your "major". Bids like 1h or 1s are for those players that prefer
to be lucky rather than allowing either side to try and make rational decisions and they need a partner with
a good even temperament even when they work (when they see your hand they will rarely congratulate
you on a "good" bid:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Since weak 2 bids usually have (acbl) artificial standards it is probably best in the long run to take your
best shot with a

4c

bid. This gets you started toward the sacrifice you know is necessary and also makes life tough for
the opps unless 4cx is where they belong (life is like that sometimes). The biggest advantage of 4c
is that the opps no longer have the "safe" spot of 3n to land in and 4n usually has other meanings.
4c is trying to be maximally disruptive with the least risk possible good luck and pick you spots for
such bids carefully.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users